Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Tigers are NOT going to the playoffs. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6602
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well folks! its over. They those D#$% Yankees won while the Tigers crash and burn. Leland burn all of his best pitchers out! So it would be no playoffs for the Detroit Tigers, but look at the bright side, The Tigers did went to the 2006 World Series, but lost.

BLESS YOU BOYS. It's always next year.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch. Danny does scathing baseball commentary. Who knew?

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right at the time that the Tigers were on top of the baseball world soon after the All-Star game, it was the NEW YORK Times that did a glowing article on the Tigers. Who knew that the paper was actually jinxing the Tigers so that their own city's team would be the ones to kick the Tigers out of playoff contention? Right from the day that article came out, the Tigers got neutered.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Injuries to Detroit pitchers killed what could have been an excellent season (weren't Maggs, Polanco, Granderson, etc. outstanding!).

Turns out Oakland, Toronto and DET pitchers spent an extraordinary time on the DL and guess which teams had less then outstanding seasons.

Injuries usually spell the difference...

With some good Tiger health the damn Yankees would be sitting home this October watching the Tigs.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Yankees had injuries as well. Many Tigers injuries aside did not produce and a lineup with no holes no has at least 5.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 474
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

a lineup with no holes no[w] has at least 5.

Do you mean after off-season free agency? I would agree that we had significantly lower production from LF, 3B, and C than last year, but lineup slots 1-5 plus Casey were pretty damned respectable all year.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give me a break. Casey's affable, gregarious, and universally well-liked personality has been providing him with a Free Pass. He does, indeed, seem to be a really nice guy, but he is an absolutely perfect example of how a guy can not do Jack Shit to contribute to the cause of getting runs across the plate, even while maintaining a relatively high Batting Average. People have been jumping all over Brandon Inge, all year, for his weak at-bats, and I readily acknowledge that his at-bats have been painful to watch, but even he has been more productive than "The Mayor." People look at Batting Averages too much. Comparing Inge's BA and K's to Casey's BA and K's could cause one to believe that Casey had the more productive season when, in reality, as bad as Inge was, he was better than Casey. Casey didn't look as lost at the plate, but he was, pretty much, a fuckin' stiff.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE SEAN CASEY! WOOHOO

Ravine

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/articl e.jsp?ymd=20070927&content_id= 2234570&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.js p&c_id=mlb
Something to consider, before dogging out a guy for striking out a lot. (Not trying to thread-jack into a stats discussion; just making a point about the over-all quality, and productivity, of at-bats.)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When does Illitch mail the refund checks for post-Season?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_d,

Did you send Illitch money? As a Saturday season ticket holder... I was dumped into the pool with everyone else.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6005
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't someone tell Danny there's a sub-section for Detroit sports with this stuff?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Didn't someone tell Danny there's a sub-section for Detroit sports with this stuff?"

Ah well, it will probably be moved to the sub-section for sports once the Administrators see it.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Didn't someone tell Danny there's a sub-section for Detroit sports with this stuff?

Yeah, well telling him it's not cool to be a racist homophobe didn't work too well either, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 476
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BA with runners on base
Granderson: .275
Polanco: .354
Sheffield: .286
Maggs: .386
Guillen: .312
Rodriguez: .279
Casey: .289
Inge: .279

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pitching on the DL? Not a good enough excuse. Even when they were on the mound, their performance was see-saw.

Sad thing is, I copied the predictions of several sports writers at the beginning of the season, so I could see how close they were at the end. Ken Rosenthal, Tim Brown and even the Sporting News all picked the Tigers to go all the way. I liked it better last year when no one saw us coming.

Bless you boys!

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barry Bonds on the tigers next year? thats the word.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers won 95 regular season games in 2006; they have a real chance of winning 90 this year. It has been a long-long time since the Detroit Tigers put two consecutive winning seasons together.

Playoffs-schmayoffs, hellz-bellz....3,000,000 fans cannot be wrong.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Barry Bonds on the tigers next year? thats the word.

Meaning Sheffield plays where?

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070928/SPO RTS02/70928003/1048/SPORTS&&im w=Y

"I think there is a way that with Sheffield DH-ing, Bonds DH-ing, Sheffield playing left field, Maybin playing from leftfield from centerfield, you can maybe mix and match some playing time. Protect Bonds, protect Sheffield, get Maybin playing time for a young player, and have one of the most dynamic offenses around. "

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like it. Sheffield has done a good job at being well-behaved, minus a few outbursts to the media, but we don't need two malcontents.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean to say Sheff is a malcontent? He is outspoken, he even has a veeeerrrryyyy unique way of expressing his thoughts, how does that qualify him as a malcontent? I can`t recall once reading any article about him complaining over his situation here. All in all, he was a very positive figure on the team as a team player. Even hitting at a sub-par pace, he was drawing walks with two outs, giving Maggs a chance to come to the plate. Judge him on his time with the Tigers and not past teams.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2820
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigs provided a near-nightly source of entertainment this season. Lots of good games. Granderson had a stellar year with his 20 homers, 20 doubles, 20 triples, and 20 stolen bases record. Verlander pitched a no-hitter. We got to see an up and comer named Ryan Rayburn, who I think plays some pretty good ball. All in all, a fun year for Detroit fans, even if we didn't make it to October.

There's always next year.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get rid of rodriquez. thats MY thoughts...

d

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't blame injuries for the August meltdown, we basically had those same injuries the first half of the season, and the Tigers were the best team in the league, also, most everyone was starting to come back through August... but, I do place a lot of the blame on Leyland, I think he made some really poor decisions down the stretch, and I also thought it was wrong of him to basically publically concede the wildcard with 10 games left to go, even if it was the Yankees we were chasing. I also thought he made some really poor pinch hitting and pitching decisions throughout the past couple months.

But, all that said, there isn't a coach I'd rather have coach the Tigers right now, I just thought he got lazy, (along with a few of the players), and I think they thought the playoffs were pretty much wrapped up mid-way through July, and it ended up biting them in the ass.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to say it, but I admit to agreeing with Ltdave above. Pudge's batting turned anemic, and he can't throw out a runner trying to steal second even if he crosses himself twice.

Like I said on the sports forum....Pudge, God ain't watching. Quit with the crosses.

Ravine

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck Barry Bonds. THAT'S the word...

Smogboy

Post Number: 6007
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barry Bonds will NOT come to Detroit. Bank on that. Why would anyone want that bloated oft injured gas bag? He's more delicate than Sheffield and Sheff still might WANT to come back and play whereas Bonds is all about his bloated ego. So unless someone can come up with ANY sane reason for us even looking Bonds' way... forget it.

And as far as Pudge goes, it looks like we're going to keep him unless we get into a bidding war for Posada of the Yankees. Who else are you going to put behind the plate? Rabelo? Vance Wilson? We really don't have anyone in the minors blazing a path to the majors at catcher. Our pitching staff is still relatively young and he handles the pitchs well. While Pudge's batting has slipped and his arm isn't as cannon-like as it once was... what are our options?

So for all the sports mavens out there that are suggesting these grand choices for Dave Dombrowski to make, I think it also behooves us to come up with viable options. I'm so tired of the "why don't we trade Neifi Perez for Alex Rodriguez" deals- think that there's another equally savvy and realistic manager at the other end of the deal as well. Be reasonable in what it is you're asking for!

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 479
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did Steve Phillips qualify his own musings about bringing in Bonds?

"It may be a pipe dream" and "I think it is probably a stretch in Detroit"

Smogboy

Post Number: 6008
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Phillips only qualification for bringing Bonds here was the fact that he has high enough regard for Jim Leyland coaching him. Beyond that it's totally insipid for us to bring that cancerous windbag to the team. Leyland's got enough credibility to handle anyone but that doesn't mean we need to be bring that kind of self centered guy here to our team and having it muck with team chemistry.

I see Barry Bonds coming here about as likely as you'll see Claude Lemeiux becoming a Detroit Red Wing.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Bonds. I watched that leach nightly while living in San Francisco. He's grade a piece of shit. Pulls out of the game when the bat is no longer likely needed, and is gone from sight.

Every single night.

He's NOT what these tigers are about.

Beyond that, I agree on Pudge. The guy walked what, like 4 times all season? Come on! Not only that, he can't seem to throw anyone out (though I personally think Posada sucks too). he'll be back though. I just hope he takes a little coaching in th eoff-season regarding his batting.

Tigers need some tweaks.

And finally, I agree. I think they got complacent (did I spell that correctly?). Thought it was wrapped up months ago.

And all this makes me even more angry they didn't finish the job last year when it was all theirs to win. You often don't get chance after chance in baseball. They blew it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.