Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Seeking memory boost from Detroit Elders « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detalum
Username: Detalum

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’m hoping that some of the wise Detroit elders that I’ve seen on this board can help fill some of my memory gaps.

1)In the mid 50’s, I have vague childhood memories of living upstairs from a second hand/junk store named Joe and Johnny’s on the corner of Bewick and Warren (maybe Mack). Can anyone tell me anything about the owners and business?

2)During my years at Cass Tech in the 60’s, I spent time across the street at a small restaurant known by names such as The Crest and The Squeeze-In. Can anyone tell me the name of the lady that would yell at you to buy something as you walked in the door, otherwise she would throw you out? She would also tell you to get out if you stayed too long without re-ordering. Everyone used to get a kick out of her. When did this place close down?

3)While working in the Griswold/State building during the 80’s, I used to enjoy lunch at a restaurant across the park, on Shelby. It had a 30’s/40’s motif, with comparable background music. It didn’t seem to last very long, but I liked it. Does anyone remember the name of this place?

4)This is a long shot, but there seems to be some great photo collections out there so I’ll give it a try. I grew up primarily along Mt Elliott between Lynch and Georgia, and up to Van Dyke. Although the area is now quite a residential wasteland, I’m hoping that someone may have any old pictures of those neighborhoods. Does anyone?

BTW … No info about the 70’s was requested since they were my Wayne State years, and generally, was a forgettable decade.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.