Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Salon article beats the drums for industry change in Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When I think of Detroit's stubborn self-image as "the Motor City," I think of the Boll Weevil Monument in Enterprise, Ala. Enterprise was a town that grew cotton, and no other crop. After boll weevils struck, the farmers thought their livelihood was over. Then they started planting other crops, such as peanuts, and prospered more than ever.

Michigan did not become great because of the auto industry. The auto industry became great because of a Michigander, Henry Ford. The state still produces creative people. Google founder Larry Page, a Ford of the 21st century, grew up in East Lansing, and studied at the University of Michigan, whose main function seems to be giving young Michiganders the credentials to get the hell out of Michigan. Page went to California, but as a sop to his home state, Google is opening a 1,000-employee office in Ann Arbor.

(I've moved back to Michigan three times since college. My last attempt lasted a year -- until I was laid off. I now live on the North Side of Chicago, which is so crowded with my fellow economic refugees that we call it "Michago.")"
http://www.salon.com/opinion/f eature/2007/09/28/michigan/ind ex1.html

The last paragraph is a near direct echo of my own living situation--I moved back twice (after graduating from U of M in the same class as Larry Page), and am now living in the very same land of economic refugees as the author after finding virtually no work (at least the kind that wouldn't involve a massive commute to the burbs) in my field in or near Detroit.

But I like that this point of view is sounding louder as time goes on. If the state changes its ways, then maybe I'll give it yet another shot.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gdub, thanks for the post. Sadly, we have not started planting other crops.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh, it's people already in the state, or coming to the state, that will make the change - the state itself isn't going to be starting businesses - people need to start the businesses themselves. Why should those who have stayed here make an effort to create jobs for others to come in and take? Everyone here should make a point of hiring locally whenever possible. If you're willing to come here and open a business, fine, otherwise don't sit in Chicago and bitch about no jobs in Michigan.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 809
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, you miss the point. The government in every state structures the tax and regulatory environment to attract certain kinds of businesses and discourage others. Michigan is still trying to attract automotive manufacturing (but doing an awful job of it) and discourage everything else (at which they are succeeding).

If I wanted to start a high-tech business I would not for a minute consider Michigan. And that's the kind of thing that contributes to a thriving local economy, these days.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, with my tech friends, that once they received a certain level of funding, it was a condition of their next round they leave Michigan. Under no circumstances were these national VCs investing in Michigan, and off they went - for the exact reasons Professorscott outlines above, as well as other government inefficiencies (no mass transit for employees, etc).

I love how in this state we live in this bubble that we're normal and everyone else is strange. It's absolutely amazing the ignorance (or intentional blindness) that our governments have on these issues.

We're so used to doing things "our way" because we've had Generous Motors, et all sustaining us at periods, and killing our entrepreneurial spirit. The masses still don't realize where the problem lies - I talked to even more people today who just went "they'll figure it out by Monday." It's like there is denial of the issues we're having - we don't want to talk about it, because we elected leaders based on who can screw your neighbor and ideology that does not apply to governing a state, not what's best for the whole. As long as it's Detroit vs. Oakland County vs. Grand Rapids vs... vs... vs... we'll have no change.

And that change won't happen until we eliminate the extreme home rule provisions of our state constitution - but that political fodder is what keeps everyone in Lansing elected. I've worked on campaigns - the easiest way to get votes is to rip on your either suburban (even other suburbs) or Detroit neighbor, and blame all the problems on them. It's a strategy some old hands taught me that's been in use in this region since the 1930's and 1940's and then for even more nefarious purposes - and some would argue, it's used for those same purposes today.

And the people fall for that crap - it works almost every single time. And the candidates that don't do it and run on unity lose, because we're a house divided.

And a house divided shall not stand - and look - we're not standing.

(Message edited by digitalvision on September 28, 2007)

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all fine and good to say "start a business or stop bitching," etc., pup, but that's not so easy when you can barely afford your house. Not to mention having to abandon your field of choice for a market-driven alternative just so you can remain in your home state.

The fact that I bitch, and that articles like this get published in higher-profile publications and sites, at least shows that we care. We could just as easily move away and never look back.

It's not an issue that can be simplified by saying "the people who are here will make the change, not 'the state'". The inevitable brain drain due to lack of economic refocusing seems like the biggest catalyst for change, not sticking around and ekeing out a living in less than ideal circumstances. I would have preferred to stay, but at the very least, leaving is a form of indirect voting and the numbers send a strong message to state government and business leaders.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2836
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The FACT of the matter is that the STATE does not start businesses and those who are dedicated to being EMPLOYEES instead of EMPLOYERS and only want to come in to fill job positions people here could hold aren't going to help turn things around any time soon.

As far as not starting high techs here? That's your bias. Former Pfizer employees in Ann Arbor ARE starting high techs here and picking up some of what Pfizer left behind. It's bullshit to say the state is looking nowhere except automotive.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.