Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » St. John Cantius slated to close in October « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may recall from previous threads on St. John Cantius and Delray that the parish got a reprieve from the Archdiocese to stay open a while longer. Well that reprieve is just about up. I'm not sure of the exact date or when the final mass will be said in the church, but thought you might like to know of this upcoming opportunity to see the church tomorrow:

"On Saturday, September 29, the West Side Detroit Polish American Historical Society will hold its second general membership meeting, which will be a guided tour of historic St. John Cantius Catholic Church at 844 S. Harbaugh Street in
Detroit’s Delray District. The tour will begin at 2:30 p.m. and will be conducted by Ms. Irene Pilch, the church’s secretary. The regularly scheduled mass will follow at 4:00 p.m.

The historic church, which is scheduled to close in October, was founded in 1902. The current structure was completed in 1923 and is the second oldest remaining Polish church on Detroit’s west side.

The event is open to the public. You're welcome to bring your camera."

(Message edited by Kathleen on September 29, 2007)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump...join us for the tour of this lovely church today!

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 844
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Church operates like any other business. What about Jesus's command to help the poor? Is that going to be left to the soup kitchens? Meanwhile the pope lives like a Medici prince among the spoils of past Vatican wars.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Themax - you forgot to mention the sexual abuse of children by priests!

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the catholics had plenty of money.

Oops, I forgot, they also had alot of lawsuits didn't they?

Freaks!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catholicism has given all it can to some of the neighborhoods in Detroit. In most of the neighborhoods with formerly active parishes, they were the last institution to leave.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parducci is (if my memory serves me well) responsible for some angels - maybe more - in the finished in 1923 section. Sure could use some pictures of them. eeeeeeeek

Kathleen

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Charlottepaul. This is precisely the situation with St. John Cantius. Once a vibrant Polish parish, the neighborhood has suffered greatly and most of the parishioners have moved out. The area on 3 sides of the church is occupied by a wastewater treatment plant (quite evident today!). St. John Cantius is the last tie to the old neighborhood for these folks, who have lots of memories of their children and friends attending the school and participating in church activities. There were a couple hundred people at today's Mass. I saw people taking photos throughout the church, and having photos of themselves in front of the alter, many with a heavy heart and a few tears!! Their farewell banquet later this month is nearly sold out (they had to change venues once, and now are adding a 2nd banquet hall at the venue in order to accommodate everyone!)

Thanks, Carptrash, for letting me know. There are two angels over the main door on the front exterior of the church. I'll send the photos your way and you can let me know what you think. All of the interior statues are said to be wooden statues imported from Italy.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6387
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Kathleen, will have some good shots for you Carpy.

Here's one I took a few years back.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, AIW! I'm glad you had a photo to post. I did have my photos of St. John Cantius Church developed, but our main computer and printer/scanner are out of commission. I will try to post some photos later this week.

It was an interesting time with many former parishioners, including descendants, in attendance at Saturday's tour and mass. Many photos were taken. Many remembrances exchanged.

In the meantime, it has been announced that the final mass at St. John Cantius will be celebrated on Sunday, October 28, at 2pm. Leading up to that day, daily masses and novena to St. John Cantius will be held as follows:

Thurs, Oct 18 - 6pm
Fri, Oct 19 - 6pm
Sat, Oct 20 - 4pm
Sun, Oct 21 - 6pm
Mon, Oct 22 - 6pm - celebrant Rev. Edward Prus
Tues, Oct 23 - 6pm - celebrant Rev. Eugene Wojtewicz
Wed, Oct 24 - 6pm - celebrant Rev. Richard Treml
Thurs, Oct 25 - 6pm - celebrant Rev. Richard Rakoczy
Fri, Oct 26 - 6pm - celebrant Rev. Ronald Dombrowski

Refreshments will be served after Mass in the Rectory.

St. John Cantius is located at 844 S. Harbaugh, in Delray, just west of Dearborn St. and north of W. Jefferson.
Questions? Call 313-842-2276

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just hope the government didn't pay them off so they can drop the DRIC on top of it

unfortunate indeed

Kathleen

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to add that the future of the Church building and rectory have not been announced. No word on whether it is to be demolished.

As for the artifacts inside the church, they will be removed and made available to area Catholic churches and institutions. For example, one particular stained glass window is already slated to go to Madonna University.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 887
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Church operates like any other business."

If the Catholic church operated like any other business they would have left long ago. When I hear/read about the number of people who attended some of these churches and schools that close I'm amazed that they were able to stay open as long as they did.

As far as helping the poor, feel free to donate.
http://www.catholiccharitiesus a.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?p id=193&srcid=-2

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 816
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am Roman Catholic. While I agree with Rjk that the Church has stayed in some neighborhoods longer than most other institutions, many prayerful Catholics still think we could be doing better. We closed Catholic schools in the City when the need for them was great. We closed Notre Dame High School because Cardinal Maida did not like the enrollment trend. Many decisions, unfortunately, are made more because of the financial and logistical implications than because of what our faith ought to be telling us to do.

Throughout Detroit, the Catholic Church used to provide an alternative to public education, both when the public schools in the City were highly regarded and when they were not. We have lost sight of our mission.

Worse yet, the Church is shooting itself in the foot. Nearly every Priest active today is a product of the Catholic schools. As our shortage gets worse and worse, how do we react? We close the very places that are our only hope as sources of replenishment.

It is very hard to be Catholic in Detroit these days, I assure you.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at missions that are established by churches (not just Catholic) overseas, usually one of the first things that is created with the mission is a school. If a church denomination, Catholic or otherwise, really wants an active evangelism in the poor communities of our own country, it seems like creating some schools would be very desirable. I'm not sure why our church leaders seem to miss that point.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 818
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pray for our Church leaders here in Detroit, as they seem to miss many basic and critical points. I'm not sure what the Cardinal thinks the Church is supposed to be doing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.