Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Cops Make a Difference « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2657
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/U PDATE/709270501/1409/METRO

Lmcdet
Username: Lmcdet

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's good to hear positive news regarding safety in Detroit. CL thanks for sharing!

lmcdet

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10509
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kick-ass, thanks for the link, Cl.

True policing makes a difference...'managing'.

As an aside...imagine that...I found this pronunciation key beneath the definition of police on the Dictionary.com website:

quote:

Pronunciation note

Many English words exemplify the original stress rule of Old English and other early Germanic languages, according to which all parts of speech except unprefixed verbs were stressed on the first syllable, and prefixed verbs were stressed on the syllable immediately following the prefix. Although the scope of this rule has been greatly restricted by the incorporation into English of loanwords that exhibit other stress patterns, the rule has always remained operative to some degree, and many loanwords have been conformed to it throughout the history of English.

For South Midland and Midland U.S. speakers in particular, shifting the stress in borrowed nouns from a noninitial syllable to the first syllable is still an active process, yielding [dee-troit] for Detroit, as well as cement, cigar, guitar, insurance, umbrella, and idea said as [see-ment], [see-gahr], [git-ahr], [in-shoor-uhns], [uhm-brel-uh], and [ahy-deeuh].

They just HAD to bring DEtroit into it, didn't they?!

Heh-heh

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Everything is Racist."

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad it's thirty years too late. But I suppose it's better late than never for the poor slobs that have to use the bus.
Back in the early 70's bus service wasn't too bad.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ I'm poor, but not a slob!

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 489
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Police Department is a joke. Not since the days of Eddie Murphy, was it a reputable Department.

<313>

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a fantastic story because improved public transportation can only come about if people use it. If they feel safe then they might try it. If they try it they might like it...etc. etc. etc. pretty soon we'll be competing with SF Muni! Visualize whirlled peas...... ;)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Evans said the presence of deputies has emboldened riders to step up and help stop assaults. He cited one incident where three passengers subdued a juvenile who was attacking a bus driver. They held him until deputies arrived.

"I don't know if those Good Samaritans would have sprung into action like that if they didn't feel that they could count on a prompt police response," Evans said. "That one incident tells me that passengers know that even if they are not on their bus at the time, a deputy is never far away."

Norman White, Director of DDOT said he has received positive feedback so far.

"One of the biggest concerns we have had has been the safety of our drivers, who were being assaulted on a regular basis. Since sheriff's deputies began patrolling, we have seen a dramatic reduction in those cases, which reflects the overall level of improved safety and order on our coaches," White said.

Why are juveniles assaulting bus drivers?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2661
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because they can Great lakes.Because for a very long time they(juveniles or anyone else) have known they can do it with out fear of accountability.

I could have put this on any number of threads active now; but I wonder what some of you think about bringing back s.t.r.e.s.s.(?) Of course the usual gang is gonna wave their arms and yell racism.But what of it? Why not bring stress back? The people done in by the stress decoy unit were shitheads trying to rob someone that happened to be a cop_ I for one don't care that they were shot. But I don't live in the city and those of you that do might feel differently.

I posted a few weeks ago about a dramatic decrease in crime in a specific area of the city. The cops in tandem with the feds had made a concentrated effort and it worked. If detroit is to have any chance at all that must happen all over_ and even then it may not be enough.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.