Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Corktown Conquistadors? Secret agenda revealed. » Archive through September 27, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know these folks but feel no good can come from them. What do you think?

Hi Conquistadors,
> The meeting was super. PLEASE FORWARD TO ANYONE YOU THINK MIGHT BE
> INTERESTED.(my email list is not very big) For everyone who wasn't
> there: we've picked four projects to get started on. (and a secret one
> that can't be discussed via email...how very mysterious)
> 1.The Music Festival
> Hopefully, this totally radical indie rock concert will be held next
> year in front of the train station--in tandem with tour de troit,
> already a successful Corktown event. Ryan, Koltay and Dean will be
> leading the Music Festival Committee--and working with Kelli K, who is
> heading up the annual tour de troit. She's thinking the after-event this
> year can be a mini-music fest, which will help make next year's big
> festival debut all the better. See the email below that she asked me to
> forward, re: volunteering at this fall's event.
> 2. Team Bagley Market
> These folks will start organizing complaints against Bagley Market, as
> well as rogue acts of bad will. We hope to make their operation as
> difficult as possible until the day when we can afford to swoop in and
> buy them out to open our own specialty grocery. Would anyone like to
> lead this team?
> 3. The Bermuda Triangle
> This includes (but is not limited to) activism to stop the free handouts
> in our neighborhood that facilitate the drugs, crime and general
> malcontent that thrives from St Peters to the Train Station to the
> Mission on Michigan. Phil and I are hoping to go talk to the people at
> the church next week and will give an update. We'll try being nice
> first.
> 4. Neighborhood Yard/Garage Sale Day.
> We're looking at Sept/Oct but have not nailed down a date. As soon as we
> do, we hope to circulate through the neighborhood--and use our resident
> writers> to get the event some minor press (like a quick listing/mention
> in say, the metrotimes, dear art critic).
>
> The people who came to the first meeting signed up for a
> committees--many chose two! If you haven't done so already, let me know
> to which roster I should add your name.
> Xi already got started on our collective blog:
> http://detroitcorkboard.blogsp ot.com/ Yay, Xi! Thanks. Keep checking
> back; more soon! To those who came: thank you so much! And to everyone
> else: see you next> time. Side note: Someone mentioned our budding group
> to Crain's...and we may be> getting our first bit of press. And we
> haven't even done anything yet.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no good?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 916
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people in Hubbard Farms that are so worried about this email should get a grip. The writers have already hugely apologized for the tenor of the email and hoped for a little forgiveness from the culturally elite and ultra-sensitive in Hubbard Farms.

No good can come of humiliating them. Homer, you should be ashamed for this baiting.

Since when is it a crime for businesspeople and residents to want to limit the amount of free handouts and social service agencies in a neighborhood? The Hubbard Farms people themselves regularly activate against Hotel Yorba residents and complain about them online. I am a resident of SWD and I protest all the social dumping in our area. I think this email is perfectly okay. I even approve of the use of "conquistedores" - I had no idea that it was a hate word, until the ultra-sensitives in Hubbard farms told me it was.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10474
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You for the source document.

I heard about this from the BACKLASH happening in Corktown...actually fomented by someone who NO LONGER lives there, from what I understand...over their use of the term Conquistadors.

They are organizing a boycott of SLOWS, because one of the folks from this e-mail is a co-owner.

Once again, someone will suffer the stupid effects of enforced politically correct speech because of some stupid offense they could have NO idea was within some weak reactionary individual.

Get over it.

The folks behind this initiative are honorable, upstanding and DYNAMIC honest individuals trying to make a difference in their community!

I'm inclined to say that ONLY good can come from them.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5548
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the esoteric conversation about Hubbard Woods? jjaba don't get it.

jjaba.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I heard that this dust-up was settled out of the court of public opinion. Posting it here will probably give us more heat than light.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that blog is really active. wow.

Good to see Chris Koltay getting involved. I heard he has a nice studio setup in c-town.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 803
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

woa. What's so bad about Bagley Market?
"We'll try being nice first." going to get tough on the church giving out food....

where we go Detroit, are we ready for the gentrification battle? biz vs homeless

Southwestmap

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An explanation from the emailers of the reference to the Bagley Market:

The Bagley Trumbull Market isn't the same market that some of you may be remembering. The Farmosas sold the market to an absentee suburban landlord that has destroyed other historic buildings in the neighborhood. At our meeting with Manna Meals it was their group who brought the issue regarding the market up first. Bagley Trumbull has turned from a family owned local market to a place for crack sales and prostitution. All community members active in the immediate area are aware and concerned with the situation there. Our intentions were to raise funds at events like the garage sale and music festival to help set up a co-op to show case local gems like Hope Takes Root or The Capuchins. We also talked about giving the funds to someone like Matt Casadonte who has been trying to open a bookstore and has lived in Corktown for many years, but has had no luck because too many speculators, who don't live in this neighborhood, think they can hold on to their neglected properties a bit longer and make another buck regardless of how it affects this city.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10272
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they can post the new Market owners contact info and people can contact him to let him know of the situation.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2763
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They discussed a boycott of Slows. Not organizing one. The word conquistidors was not liked, the idea that St. Peters would be targeted to block their Manna program was much more upsetting. Actions being much more important than words.

I've received the emails from about 6 different people, all of them residents of Corktown or Mexicantown, all of them social activists, all of them enthusiastic supporters of Slows, all of them genuinely upset at the original email and the tone. Don't the words "This includes (but is not limited to) activism to stop the free handouts in our neighborhood that facilitate the drugs, crime and general malcontent that thrives from St Peters to the Train Station to the Mission on Michigan. Phil and I are hoping to go talk to the people at the church next week and will give an update. We'll try being nice first." strike a little fear? Try being nice first? What comes to St. Peters next?

I hope this shakes out and I think the light shone on this issue will do nothing but good for the neighborhood.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the interest of fairness, here is an answer. I've gotten about 5 copies of this too, so I think it's getting around. I've removed some names, as it's not my job to check people.

o Whom It May Concern,

My name is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and I am one of the four owners of Slows Bar B Q. I also work with my brother, XXXXXXXXXXXX, at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX as a general contractor. I attended the Corkboard meeting and received the follow up e-mail that has upset many community members. XXXXXXXXXXX, the author of the letter is XXXXXXXXX. We are all deeply sorry that this letter has been misunderstood. I would like to clarify our intentions in hopes that everyone can judge us in a context and tone that we feel represents our feelings for this community and this situation.

The Corkboard was formed by XXXXXXXX due to her concern with the lack of activism by many of our younger community members. I jokingly brought up the title of conquistador when the question of organization (president, vice president, secretary, etc.) came up during the first meeting. As many of you may know this word means explorer, adventurer, and conqueror, which is what was implied by my comment and MXXXXXXX later. By no means did we associate ourselves with a group from the 16th century that invaded South, Central, and North America along with parts of Asia.

In regards to the Bermuda Triangle comment, I wish to clarify our stance on this as well. We are by no means anti-homeless, we are anti-homelessness. Last winter I arranged a group that tore down a fire bombed home in Brightmoor and recycled the material from the deconstruction to build a homeless shelter. Due to poor weather and long hours going into the night I got frost bite from the experience. The shelter was built at MOCAD and then moved to it's permanent location in the spring. Along with the structure I hosted a lecture on homelessness at MOCAD with The Salvation Army and The Veterans Foundation. During all of this a homeless man lived in my apartment for 8 months.

During our meeting with Manna Meals we thanked them repeatedly for all the good that they have done and will continue to do. These are difficult times for many and they feed hungry families and many folks that just need a little help. Our concern is with the five percent that they continue to feed that bounce from free meal to free meal to free bed and defecate, steal, and liter. These people are not bad people, but they need a different kind of help. They need drug counseling or mental facilities. We have an amazing multi-million dollar Salvation Army in our neighborhood that is set up to do more for these people. If we can not get them to enter their program, then we must bring more options to them. All of this was discussed when we met with Manna Meals and everyone from Corkboard left with a sense of hope and camaraderie. We left with a commitment to work together as neighbors and friends.

The Bagley Trumbull Market isn't the same market that some of you may be remembering. The Farmosas sold the market to an absentee suburban landlord that has destroyed other historic buildings in the neighborhood. At our meeting with Manna Meals it was their group who brought the issue regarding the market up first. Bagley Trumbull has turned from a family owned local market to a place for crack sales and prostitution. All community members active in the immediate area are aware and concerned with the situation there. Our intentions were to raise funds at events like the garage sale and music festival to help set up a co-op to show case local gems like Hope Takes Root or The Capuchins. We also talked about giving the funds to someone like XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX who has been trying to open a bookstore and has lived in Corktown for many years, but has had no luck because too many speculators, who don't live in this neighborhood, think they can hold on to their neglected properties a bit longer and make another buck regardless of how it affects this city.

Finally I wish to address the secretive part of the e-mail that many speculated was some other racist plot so gross that we wouldn't speak of it. I take credit for none of these acts, but sometimes homes that are burnt and falling over onto an abandoned home next door with an absentee owner need to be painted orange to get the city to act. Sometimes blue fabric needs to be hung from every window of the train station to show people that there is still life and hope and that as a whole we can take on any selfish billionaire regardless of who's in his back pocket. Someday maybe a bike lane will magically appear on a nine lane super highway reminding people to slow down and look around.

The e-mail was easily misinterpreted and was never meant for the public. It was only to be shared with explanation. This was purposefully sent out without explanation to hurt.

I hope this clears things up and please feel free to contact me to discuss any of this further. We have nothing to hide and will continue to strive to be a positive influence on this community. Slows Bar B Q employs 50 people, 90 percent of which live in this city along with all four owners (three in Corktown and one in Mexican town). Slows, myself and my family have all donated thousands of dollars to local community groups and non-profits and will continue to do so regardless of the outcome of this event. My mother and father moved down here and my brother and sister in law are raising their eighteen month old in the neighborhood.

Hate mail and personal attacks towards my family are unwarranted and disappointing. I hope we have all learned from this. I hope that I will now talk to my neighbors and let them explain their actions before jumping to any conclusions.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with modeling your self after the Conquistadors? They set a specific goal for themselves, and they then achieved that goal. Perhaps Cortes or Pizarro would do well in the office of Mayor.

Just don't give me one of those losers like De Soto or De Leon.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phew. I glad this is solved.

I was really starting to worry.

Thanks everybody for not blowing anything out of proportion.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 918
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some super sensitive feminists in Hubbard farms think it is offensive to the Mexican and Black people of Detroit - and they lost no time in contacting the Slows people to complain.

I wonder if Homer is the red-headed guy who was canvassing in Hubbard Farms, trying to roil public sentiment against the Slows owners?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't think of a neighborhood who would look at this and call this bad. And as to number three, yes, admittedly, this is a "NIMBY" issue, but I can't blame anyone for not wanting that in their neighborhood. I sure as heck don't, and bravo for standing up and coming up with new solutions.

All seems like positive stuff... and it mentions some upstanding people who I think do amazing things who any neighborhood should be proud to have as their advocates.

Jt1

Post Number: 10274
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And as to number three, yes, admittedly, this is a "NIMBY" issue, but I can't blame anyone for not wanting that in their neighborhood

But it works so well for the lower Cass area.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2769
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it's solved. First there was one side, then the other. Let's see how the St. Peter's issue is dealt with before we say done. Personally, I don't think the sentiment expressed by the words "Try being nice FIRST" was addressed in the reply letter.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some super sensitive feminists in Hubbard farms think it is offensive to the Mexican and Black people of Detroit - and they lost no time in contacting the Slows people to complain.

What do super sensitive feminists have to do with what's offensive to Mexican and Black people?

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4633
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This town gives me a headache. As best as I can tell a handful of neighbors get together to deal with issues in their neighborhood and it's a problem that merits discussion of boycotts? Please. What a steaming pile of horseshit.

I have no use for any kind of "LET'S DO SOMETHING!" crowd (btw what ever happened to the DY plans to 'clean up' Capitol Park?) but there is no reason for anyone to get their panties in a bunch.

In fact worse than the "LET'S DO SOMETHING!" crowd are people who get their panties in a twist over the injustice of someone taking issue with Manna Meals. Teeth gnashing over nothing or as Bill Maher put it activism=narcissism.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" quote:

What do super sensitive feminists have to do with what's offensive to Mexican and Black people?"

Those are the same stuck up bitches that won't talk to Southwestmap, even when he offers to buy them a drink. Who do they think they are? They must be gay.

(Message edited by michigan on September 27, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 10276
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I may have dinner at Slows tonight as an F you to the people that were talking about protesting.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This town gives me a headache. As best as I can tell a handful of neighbors get together to deal with issues in their neighborhood and it's a problem that merits discussion of boycotts? Please. What a steaming pile of horseshit.

exaclty. those people named in the email have put more hardwork and goodwill into their neighborh... no, *city* than anyone i have ever met (as if their combined merit needed any reinforcement from me), and they surely don't deserve the kind of bullshit response that this message has garnered. all i see here is a tight knit group's lexicon being throroughly misinterpreted by by those looking in

(Message edited by gravitymachine on September 27, 2007)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4634
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Conquistadors reference seems no more malignent than Markos Zúniga refering to the Daily Kos community as Kossacks. I doubt too many people on Daily Kos would be accused of having sympathy for the Czars or violent anti-semites.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk..Or me not supporting the Walled Lake Central Vikings because the goddamn Vikings raped and plundered my ancestral homeland of England for hundreds of years.

I hate Vikings.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOYCOTT CORKTOWN! BOYCOTT GREEN BEER! BOYCOTT VICTORIAN COTTAGES! BOYCOTT GAELIC STUFF! BOYCOTT THE POGUES! BOYCOTT COBBLESTONES! BOYCOTT NITROUS BALLOONS! BOYCOTT BROOKS LUMBER! BOYCOTT THE ORIGINAL EPH'S! BOYCOTT NEMO'S! BOYCOTT THE MICHIGAN GALLERY! BOYCOTT THE COOLEY FAMILY EMPIRE! BOYCOTT ROBERT COBB!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"BOYCOTT NITROUS BALLOONS"

LOL!
wait...uh..why would that be funny?

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a neighborhood trying to regain control.

You go, girls!

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it was baiting.
I wished to see others thoughts on this
subject. What better way than posting here
where all have an opinion.

This subject hit me over morning coffee.

I could see the good things in the email
as well as the suspect, secret agenda alluded to.

So now it's out in the open and explained.
The air is cleared somewhat.

Let's get on with the improving of our city any
way you can.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 919
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i did a blog search and here is the take from an "arab-American feminist" who quotes from the famous email:

"Here is a letter that was sent around to people living in my area. It clearly confirms the negative feelings we have about gentrification in Detroit. Hopefully, in reading this, you can understand that the groups that are collaborating in “north corktown” and woodbridge, have no good intentions, just an agenda to displace people of color, homeless, and people who are not mercenaries .If you are worried more about crack houses and dealing in your neighborhood than soup kitchens, and if you would like to become involved in a group against this attack on native Detroiters, please join the myspace group montezumasrevenge (forgive the fact that there’s no apostraphe, please) or contact me at zoebonez@detroitraza.com. please read the letter. thanx for your time!

Hi Conquistadors,
The meeting was super. PLEASE FORWARD TO ANYONE YOU THINK MIGHT BE INTERESTED.(my email list is not very big) For everyone who wasn’t there: we’ve picked four projects to get started on. (and a secret one that can’t be discussed via email…how very mysterious)
1.The Music Festival
Hopefully, this totally radical indie rock concert will be held next year in front of the train station–in tandem with tour de troit, already a successful Corktown event. Ryan, Koltay and Dean will be leading the Music Festival Committee–..."