Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Historical research « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Expatriot
Username: Expatriot

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if anyone suggest some specific resources that would provide me with numbers on:

1. the amount of acreage, square miles, of land covered by the footprints of freeways within the city limits.

2. the number of housing units or buildings that were demolished in creating them.

3. the dollar amount of the tax base lost by the demolition.

On another topic.

1. the number of new multi-level parking structures built inside the Blvd and the number of parking spaces provided by them.

2. the amount of acreage inside the Blvd devoted to surface parking lots.

Grateful for any leads. Thsnks

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 679
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might contact the Burton Historical Collection at the Detroit Public Library for some contemporary resources. There were definitely studies at the time, through the 60s and 70s.

There is a comparison chart in this 2000 report, comparing Detroit to other urban areas.

http://www.psrc.org/publicatio ns/pubs/trends/t13jun00.pdf

Maybe contact Michigan Land Use Institute for some resources:

http://mlui.org/about.asp

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! You know who really is good with compiling random facts and stats such as these on Detroit is Dan Pitera http://architecture.udmercy.ed u/De_Legate-Bios.html# at the Detroit Collaborative Design Center in the School of Architecture at the University of Detroit Mercy. http://architecture.udmercy.ed u/design_center01.htm He is a busy man, but when you can get ahold of him he loves to speak about Detroit topics such as the ones you are interested in. I remember that he wanted to do a study on how many 24 hour hair braiding businesses there are in Detroit, for example. Call the school at 313-993-1532 and ask for him in the DCDC.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. For a little background, Dan was/is one of those on the Detroit Team for the Shrinking Cities exhibit. http://www.shrinkingcities.com /172.0.html

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you try calling Expatriot?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Translation:
"Hey everybody, I have to do a report. Will you do my research for me?"

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps, but a truly scholarly essay ('report') will in fact quote and site many sources. It isn't an issue of being required to pull it all out of your head. We would hardly be writing anything for anybody by posting relies on this thread. Rather we might help to begin to form Expatriot's opinion--which in the long run is a big goal of most of the posters on this forum!

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 791
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen some *excellent* answers posted to questions like this one that could be "claimed" in a essay/paper/etc as one's original work.
(I've also seen where students have done just that!)

Expatriot
Username: Expatriot

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks you for the tips charlottepaul. FYI I lived in Detroit from 1946 to 1980 and have been in San Francisco since. I am way beyond doing a school paper (ouch, cheddar). My interest is in furtherance of an ongoing bar room debate I have with other Detroit expats (expatriot was a misspelling BTW). Besides I only asked for suggestions of resources, not for someone to go out and do research for me.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe union papers are at the Reuther library I was going to check them, I did some research on I-75 hastings area. Looking up slum clearance at the burton gives some insight on that project. also looking at the Cobo and Cavanaugh papers at the Reuther might provide you with insight. Hope this helps ex. The burton is a great resource but I find that it is much easier to do research at the Reuther. Having a laptop with you always helps...:-)

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 599
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another great resource is the marygrove detroit bib by Dr. Thomas Klug, http://www.marygrove.edu/ids/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.