Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Jjaba?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsprunk
Username: Mrsprunk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(first time poster...long time lurker.)jjaba...you are my hero. where have you been?? i look forward to your posts. p.s., the _rock...i love you too (:

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome into the sunlight from lurking, Mrsprunk!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5555
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba here. jjaba spends his Post#5555 to welcome Mrsprunk. Welcome to The Forum. With The Rock and Ray1936, you are in good company.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah and Torah Bukkor on the Dexter bus curving around at The Blvd. in front of Northwestern HS and the Fisher YMCA where jjaba learned to swim.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, they never put water in that pool. That's how you learned to swim so easily........

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5557
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, you are full of beans. jjaba swam at Fisher YMCA and also at Brennan Pools where he was the best locker room captain in Detroit.
He could snap a towel off the ass of a nine yr. old who wouldn't behave like the best of them.

jjaba, proudly Westside.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba...do you recall a neighborhood off Dexter (cross street unknown) that was made up of predominantly Finnish folk?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now be it Mr.Sprunk or Mrs. Prunk, I also welcome you to the Forum. And it is great to be loved.

And pay close attention to Ray36 and jjaba, two seasoned veterans of both Detroit and the Forum.I believe that between the two of them they have about 200 years of combined knowledge, Ray36 having walked the beat when Martin Borgman was Police Chief, whereas jjaba drove the hearse at his funeral. (Dexter bus was in for repairs ).
Me? I'm just a rookie,and always willing to listen to my knowledgable elders.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,

You're one of my favorites too.

My parents were west-siders. 7 mile area. They went to Redford HS.

I was editing my mother's genealogy notes... and I got to a point where she described her first house on Pennington as a child. Between 6 mile & McNichols!

"Hello Mom? Did you live in the median?" :-)

Mrsprunk

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! sorry i forgot to mention ray1936...you too are awesome!! my name is actually mrs. prunk. i should fix that (: im a new mom in her early 30's with a thirst for knowledge about the glory days in the D. my family has been here since Cadillac landed. i love this city and look forward to all of your great stories and memories! keep 'em coming!

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What area Mrsprunk??

Jrvass

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warm Welcome to Mrs. Prunk.

Wherever she may be!

Ray1936

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Prunk sounds very nice. She HAS to be a west sider. :-)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 822
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm jealous. How do I eventually earn a whole thread just about me? I ride the Dexter bus too, you know, though possibly not as often as Jjaba.

Best memory of that bus for y'all: several weeks ago I was downtown, and trying to catch the Dexter bus, and a bus came by with its destination sign out of order. So the driver stopped, opened the door and yelled out the door: "Dexter, Dexter, Dexter! This is the Dexter bus! Dexter, Dexter, Dexter!"

As God is my witness, half the people at that bus stop, as they climbed up, said to the driver: "is this the Dexter bus?" This went on the whole trip.

Busy line, that Dexter. I suspect Jjaba has been among us who've had to offer our seats to ladies when the bus became standing-room only. Still runs on a 12-minute schedule most of the day, too. Trivia: Dexter is one of very few DDOT bus lines that was never a streetcar line.

Jrvass

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott,

You have to pay us! :-)

Professorscott

Post Number: 828
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn... I knew it was something like that :-)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a Grand River bus driver who used to call out the streets with a comment. When he reached Livernois, with all its used car lots back then, he'd shout, "Livernois Avenue, Sucker's Row, Bert Baker, Chief Taker." in reference to the Bert Baker car lot right on the corner.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trivia: Dexter is one of very few DDOT bus lines that was never a streetcar line.

Probably because it zig-zags across n/w Detroit?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I suspect Jjaba has been among us who've had to offer our seats to ladies when the bus became standing-room only.

At least in spirit.

Professorscott

Post Number: 831
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lheart, lots of streetcar lines zig-zagged all over the City. Look at the Grand Belt; the bus route of today more or less follows the streetcar line that was there before. Dexter was added to the system pretty late, and the move from streetcars to buses was already in people's minds.

Mrsprunk

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually...i live in royal oak (dont hate). my family hails mostly from the westside and the new center area. my great grand parents ran the grand electric garage at 3rd and canfield. my grandpa (born in 1904) and his brother would fix cars and run them up to the rich folks in BE. my parents and aunts and uncles on both sides went to Cooley. they lived on st. mary's, robson, prairie and cherrylawn. i regularly stalk IV and BE on most weekends dreaming of living in one of those old grand dames. (:

on my mother's side...her mother's family are descendants of Cadillac. their family name was La Mothe. there are variations on the spelling over the centuries...LaMott, etc.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Mrs. Prunk!! I also live in Royal Oak (13 and Woodward area) and have for over 25 years after growing up on the east side of Detroit. I too have deep roots in Detroit's history as my paternal grandmother's ancestors were among the earliest in Detroit; one of them, Pierre Roy, was in Cadillac's advance party!

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That professorscott story is one of the funniest knucklehead stories I've heard in a long time. When I go to McD's the first words out of my mouth are "this is FOR HERE". I place my order and at the end I always get asked "Is this for here or to go"?

Mrsprunk

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey kathleen! i'm in the 13/woodward area too (:

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Prunk: We're on Merrill, half block west of Coolidge. We should get together sometime!! Here's my email address: dkosh @ msn.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.