Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Streams, Creeks...and Ponds « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please post your memories relating to streams, creeks, and ponds within the city of Detroit.

I am just now remembering a Detroiter telling me about a frog pond in the vicinity of Meyers and Fenkell

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

elmwood cemetary
its how the topography of detroit used to be
dig up all the old creeks -reconnect greeways
would spur lots o investment

Chuckjav

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hybridy....I lived within a short distance of Elmwood Cemetary; very reminiscent of "small town" Detroit. I agree with your back-to-nature ideas; there are large parts of the city that appear well on their way back to the 19th century.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That frog pond I mentioned near the gas tank on that thread was not that far from Meyers and Fenkell....half mile either direction. Seems like there was a lot of marshes along the railroad right-of-way back then.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10559
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A young girl in my sister's Brownie troop once fell into the Rouge River in the early seventies.

I don't know whatever happened to her, but BOY did she get the immediate medical attention!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am liking Hybridy's idea more & more.

Entrepreneurs could start fish & freshwater shrimp farms throughout the city.

Surrounded by deep motes filled with razor-tooth, blood-sucking lamprey eels....of course.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Yooper mention stockyards a few days back?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds....that would work too.

Livestock, farming....the whole nine yards; Detroit's (residentially zoned) soil is more than likely quite fertile.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far we've heard of frogs within Detroit's city limits (circa 1950); what of turtles, fish & snakes?

Anyone recall seeing such things in the city?

Back in '68, my family lived in Oak Park for about 18 months. On Greenfield, within walking distance of Northland was a good size pond - with snakes, fish, and turtles.
The place was doomed; by fall of' 68...pond was gone - office building construction in full swing.

Wondering why the DNR would permit such a thing?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the day, the wisdom was to fill the wetlands for development. It wasn't til the 80s that wetland management got any respect.

Ahartz
Username: Ahartz

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and wetlands get the respect they deserve now??
Wetlands iin michigan have a tough road...andy

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, we aren't where we need to be. Wetland abatement is one of the dumber ideas, tear up meadowland to replace wetland that was filled in for development. At least we aren't losing wetlands at the rate we were in the postwar era.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.