Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Manz Field « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On thursday I am playing ball at manz field, when i told my dad he got excited and told me it is legendary and that my grandpa played there. any memories east siders?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I played third base there in 1983 for the St. Matthew Marauders. Grass infield. Under the lights. 14 years old. That was as far as I was gonna get.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Class D state baseball regionals were played there in 1979. We had two pitchers combine for a 7-inning no-hitter in the semi-final, and defeated de Porres in the final.

Was that "legendary?" We were legends in our own minds (and state champs, a week later).

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "old" Manz Field up to at least the 1970s had a fulltime city maintenance crew which kept the diamond and outfield so well manicured that it was actually the second best ball field in Detroit, after Tiger Stadium. The Detroit Amateur Baseball Federation played its games there, as did the American Legion, Firemen's, Billy Rogell and UAW leagues. The field was vast: distances were 356 in right, 480 in center and 350 in left. Light poles in the outfield sat in fair territory As a high school kid, Willie Horton hit one into Conner.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 596
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whats goin on over there thursday chuck?

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grade school baseball was played there in (my time) '58, '59 and '60. Then a big field with magnificent care. Ditto the comments above.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.