Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Crime - Noticably Worse? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been on the boards nearly as much over the past month, as I moved to Chicago and been workin my tail off for my new job.

Anyway, in the 1-2x per week i seem to be getting on here, I swear the number of threads regarding crime has skyrocketed. There's the Eastpointe thing. The car jacking on Beaubien one. The dudes in Redford getting robbed, at home. I think there was one about a girl getting shot in Hamtramck. I seem to remember another one about the same time as the Hamtramck gal. And these are just the ones I've actually read on this board. There are probably more threads I've missed.

Anyway, what's going on here? Is there really a serious increase in crimes (and do they seem to be getting more violent too?)? Or are there just more articles/postings about them? Or have I just not been on the boards enough recently that my "tolerance level" for reading about this crap has dropped back to normal?

I gotta say, I'm usually not the one to get a bit wound up over this stuff, but I swear over the past few weeks these stories just keep on coming. And unfortunately it seems the outcomes are ending up worse. And more are not your typical drug/gang stuff, but innocent folks, at least what I've been reading. I want to know if I'm just hearing more or if there actually more or what.

And if it is really picking up and getting more violent, what the hell is going on?!

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime happens everywhere haven't you heard?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thefts fuel crime rise in region

Metro Detroit's 2006 surge bucks nation, but city on pace this year for drops in major categories.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077092503 77

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6616
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks should have known that America is EARNING NATION. There is not such thing as a free lunch. Either you use your brains to get the necessities of requiring any personal property or die! Committing in crime to get what you want lands you either in jail or dead.

None
Username: None

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Committing in crime to get what you want lands you either in jail or dead."

As it should be Danny

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not noticed any increase in crime, I'm about a mile + off of 8 mile. I often leave my windows open and front door unlocked, the cars and truck are never locked. I never hear gunshots, I do hear firecrackers going off in the summer time, (of course how could any one really tell the difference?). I have noticed it is a quite popular topic on here as of late. Moving away and checking in on this site SHOULD be a way to get accurate information of what's going on in your home town.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my fraternity brothers (and another fraternity brother also rented from him there) bought a place on Grandville, west of Southfield and north of Joy, a few years ago after finishing at the university. They had no problems for about a year and a half, but in the last 10 months they have had five break-ins. Seems to be a noticeable change for them. So much so that the one moved out of Detroit and into SE Livonia.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For pete's sake Cambrian, lock your stuff up. It's not that inconvenient to turn a key.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CharlottePaul>That's my old neighborhood

I've heard from two families I still know in that area that property crime has steadily increased over the past five years. Other than the crime though, how did your friend like living in that area? Just curious.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Other than the crime though, how did your friend like living in that area?"

It was on and off two to three fraternity brothers living on Grandville at the home for the last few years. They all carry pretty big Detroit pride and love the city (having gone to Detroit Mercy and all). It isn't as though they are unfamiliar with the city is what I am getting at. It is relatively close to Detroit Mercy to still stop by and see friends still at the university and is a great location for reverse commuting as most of them worked in the suburbs. They were all just fine with the area and liked it pretty well until the recent break ins.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 696
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not one who likes living in a prison, either, and have actually had mixed results. Nothing has happened to our house or cars. We've accidentally gone off leaving everything open, and returned to no problems. We have had things lifted from our open garage while we were home. Trying to remember to close the garage is on my to-do list.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hardly think locking your doors constitutes living in a prison. If somebody comes into your house through an unlocked door, the legalities are a little different than if they broke in. Don't make it easy for people.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This same sort of thing happens about once or twice a year in a very bad way. Something to do with weather change I think. There have been more muggings around WSU, more people being intimidated by homeless and punks/thugs, shootings, theft, break ins. Yes yes these things do happen all the time but it seems whenever the weather changes things go especially haywire.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be fair to the city of Detroit an the suburbs, this is a national trend. Violent crime is surging nationwide.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've come home on a couple of occasions to find that my garage was broken into and anything of value taken (even gas cans!).

I noticed that there is a high number of crack zombie types wandering the alleys lately. Sometimes I wish I could turn the hose on them, but I can't be home to defend the house 24/7.

I just call the cops and tell them that folks are passed out from doing drugs i the alley. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. But they keep coming back.

Do your buddies on Grandville eat at A & G lunch?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The legalities are no different at all.It is illegal and criminal to enter any bldg to steal; locked or unlocked.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As citizens we have a right to expect our city to protect us from crime. I think a more useful thing we could do on this forum is dial in about certain precincts. Do some respond better then others when you call them? And hold those that don't measure up accountable. I noticed for the one thread about the purse snatching we had on here the victim said the police showed up right away.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2831
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nonetheless. Lock the damn door.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I lived where I felt there was an issue, I would.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3718
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81, I'd just go by the stats.

Perception does not equal reality at all in a matter such as crime. An increasing appearance of crime-related threads telling personal stories or complaining about a certain neighborhood's problem does not mean that crime is up in the City, another metro city, or even a particular neighborhood.

The FBI stats for the previous year were just released, if I recall, and they showed that violent crime was flat in the City, property crime in the City was up at a level that corresponds with the recession; results were mixed across the metro area. Inner ring crime remains surprisingly low, though, IMO. I was shocked at how few break ins and even car thefts have occurred in GP and HW.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do your buddies on Grandville eat at A & G lunch?"

Not certain. I will ask. They do often go to an Irish bar on the west side of the southfield freeway near there. Sort of a whole in the wall place that most suburbanites wouldn't go to but is more for the locals. Can't recall the name tough off the top of my head.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the Tip. I used to have to go up there as a young teen (about 13-14 years old) and drive my parent's and other folks from the block back home after they were over-served.

I grew up on Piedmont, and also lived on Grandville for a few years.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 701
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tipperary!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.