Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Rock & Roll High School... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please share your memories of Detroit high school dances featuring performances by musicians that went on to national/international fame.

This is going to be great!

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav, my memories are of the Reflections of "Romeo and Juliet" hit. I knew Hunter Benny personally, he was one of the originals. I remember going to the Gay Haven Club and seeing lot of groups. Great memories.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4644
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when Clint Howard sold me answers to a Latin exam in the mens room. That was pretty cool.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mother Earth....thanks for the Reflections memories. Just wondering if you could remember some names and biographies regarding the group; I want to add it to their Wikipedia page.

Big Thanks

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.reflections-music.c om/
Here you go Chuckjav, you can get lots of information along with photos to look at.
You are welcome.
I noticed Hunter Bennie went by the name of Dan Bennie in the group. I do not know when he left and was replaced.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Motherearth.

Anyone else with stories of musical acts that hit the big time after sharpening their skills at Detroit high school sock-hops?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Who do a performance at Southfield High?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2900
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad said Pink Floyd played at his high school, Catholic Central. It was very early on for them, and he said the kids just didn't get it. Everybody ended up outside to get away from the crazy racket. Sounds like a nonsense story, but he isn't one to make things up, so who knows.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 442
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bouys were a couple of U of D and St. Mary Redford guys who were pretty popular at sock hops in the late 60's.
They tried out a new amp in my basement party in '66. The party turned out to be a sweat box and I'm surprised the house didn't shake off the foundation.
I still know one of the original Reflections. They were the first "white" Motown group. Vanilla Fudge came much later.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian-right you are:

Source: http://www.thewholive.de/

"In 1967 I was only 14 years old. I was a sophomore in high school. The high school I attended, Southfield High School, is in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan, USA. The Who performed in our gymnasium in November of that year. There were probably about 1,000 people at that show. There were two opening acts at this particular concert. They were both local Detroit bands that I had seen many times in the local clubs. One band, The Unrelated Segments, went on to total obscurity. The other band, The Amboy Dukes, had a young guitar player who was pretty amazing. His name...Ted Nugent.

Anyway, what I remember from that concert is being totally overwhelmed. I was probably about 30 feet from the stage. Keith was on fire. I remember shattered drumsticks flying 10-20 rows deep into the audience. Pete was amazing, and Roger with that spinning microphone, it was unforgettable. I remember Magic Bus, Can't Explain, I Can See For Miles, Happy Jack and a host of others. What I remember most was the total destruction of the stage during My Generation. It was fantastic. I was hooked on The Who. The attached pictures appeared in the 1968 Southfield High School yearbook. I have told this story to many people, and most don't believe me. These pics are the only proof I have."

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Bishop Foley High School, we didn't get any bands that would score big national hits, but we did have a number of notable Detroit musicians--a revamped Frijid Pink, Sonic's Rendezvous Band with Fred stoned out and doing his high wire act along the side of the stage as well Scott Morgan and Scott Asheton bashing it out, the Motor City Mutants in their heyday, and a number of Bishop Foley classmates who would later contribute to Detroit local rock such as the teenage Mr. Clemma and with bands like R.U.R., Rhythm Corps, and 3D Invisibles. Also our class song was the MC5's "High School", which fortunately beat out by popular vote Paul Anka's "Time of Our Lives." All in all, rock n roll was alive and well at that Catholic high school back in the day.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cambrian & W-O-B....The WHO at Southfield High School, totally mind-boggling; I would never have believed it. I mean, by 1967, The WHO was already freaking huge!

Xd-brklyn...Frijid Pink was pretty hip & happening too.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended high school there 20 years after that and it wasn't common knowledge. Not a cool place at all by that time.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kiss played at Cadillac high School

Chuckjav

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian....that's for sure - Oak Park too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.