Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » WXYT to move to FM? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard anything about this? Supposedly CBS has filed with the FCC to change the call letters of 97.1 from WKRK-FM to WXYT-FM. Also Jeff Deminski & Bill Doyle cleared out their belongings from the station after their shift on Friday. 3G is reporting on this as well.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10553
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious.

FM isn't suffering the same quality degradation from the new HD Radio hardware on their standard signals that AM is...perhaps they are vacating AM for that, at least.

So where will Deminski and Doyle land?!

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've been reading they could have moved to WXYT AM for the right money. But CBS is losing so much money on the 2 stations that they weren't going to pony up.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4150
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WXYT's signal at night barely covers the near West side. Many sport games are at night and do not get sufficient Detroit coverage then.

WXYT has been suffering for that reason ever since most Detroiters moved from the city back nearly forty-some years ago.

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hot off the presses

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071001/ENT 03/71001035/0/ENT03

Gannon

Post Number: 10560
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought somebody else was broadcasting an AM station on one of the FM HD Radio's number two channels, I'm not sure if it was WXYT or not...I'll have to go check.

I thought that was a curious thing, I wonder if we'll see MORE migration to FM...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2846
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071001/ENT 03/71001035/0/ENT03

Deminski and Doyle will make their debut in Morning Drive Tuesday at 6 a.m. after eight years as a successful afternoon drive show.

“We are extremely excited about the transformation our station is presently undergoing and excitedly predict continued success for Deminski & Doyle in their new timeslot,” said Kevin Murphy, Vice President and General Manager of the two stations.

Gannon

Post Number: 10604
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are going to be rough until their body clocks re-adjust...bad time of the year to be moving your work-start time ahead six hours, plus the daylight savings time hour loss.

I'd think some entrepreneurial sponsor should find a way to get some heavy caffeine into their studio...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4163
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Working twelve years in broadcasting, I never seemed to be much affected when switching schedules or working various odd hours. Although I was a chief engineer, etc., I got stuck pulling DJ/announcer shifts from time to time if nobody else was close enough.

They'll do just fine in the AM because adapting to change is the engine of necessity in that biz.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2848
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deminski and Doyle might finally give Drew and Mike something to be concerned about. I'm not a big fan of either, but it seems like some people really like D&D. And I like them more than Drew and Mike I guess, just because I think I've already heard all their jokes about 20,000 times.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd take Eli and Gary Danielson over any of these bozos.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4642
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are blowing out Mike and Mike? That's a pisser.

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just found out Motor City Middays with Jay, Shila and Bill got fired! :-( Best Show in Detroit! Will miss them.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 994
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DAMNIT Jay and bill are going to be gone. Thats sad they were gaining ratings each time. I think lately they were 3rd overall for there time slot. They were my bright spot of the day.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D&D will have a tough time waking people up in the morning with their more monotone sound. Plus, how can they make it on a sports station when Deminski doesn't like sports. If they felt like they had to keep D&D, then they should have moved those guys to the 10am slot in place of the Big Show. The Big Show is terrible and will never be able to knock off Sean Baligan on WDFN with the current talent. The Sports Inferno is much better than the old guys (Eli and Gary). Not to mention Danielson has a good job broadcasting college football, why would he want to come back. Valenti has great intensity and is knowledgable.

The guys who are programming these stations have shown for years their complete lack of knowledge of the Detroit listening audience. Basically...who cares...in a year they will be changing everything again as these two stations continue to do. I just feel bad for the quality personalities who are getting axed because of managerial incompentence.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's Gregg Henson up to these days?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.