Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Report paints brighter picture of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A report by the nonprofit Social Compact shows the population is actually 933,043 -- nearly 62,000 more than 2006 census estimates and that the city has $15.8 billion in household income."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071001/U PDATE/710010412/1409/METRO

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how much he paid for that outcome...?

Username: 3420

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got through reading this. Nice story but very interesting.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5074
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Countdown to L'Yards negativity in 3....2...

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't trust the numbers, but wonderful news if the population of Detroit increased.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4151
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know that Social Compact must be some major organization when its only job listing contains this:
quote:

Social Compact accepts internship requests year round - Click here for more information

Obviously, such a Washington, DC-based lobby, such as the Social Compact organization, is far better positioned than the US Census Bureau at determining population research, especially when it accepts non-paid interns year round...

I think we can safely disregard this thread or submit it to The Onion for their consideration for a future promising story line.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 924
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read deeper, for heaven's sake! Its a flim-flam:Social Compact has done the studies in eight other cities and the results are invariably identical: population in the particular city is higher than U.S. Census estimates, crime is leveling off and the buying power of residents is more than suggested.

"People are going to be amazed at what was found," said Matt Allen, Kilpatrick's press secretary. "It's going to change some perceptions."

The group will send researchers to do more intense surveys over the next few months, Allen said.

The Detroit survey is the largest the group had conducted, although Social Compact has done segments of Chicago and New York City.

The mayor today also will deliver the first update on the NEXT Detroit Neighborhood Initiative, a strategy Kilpatrick's staff launched in May that will focus on improving six specific neighborhoods in areas ranging from police presence to improving housing stock.

The Social Compact report, which cost about $150,000, was paid for by the Kresge Foundation and the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan, two of Kilpatrick's key partners for the Neighborhood Initiative.

"We need something that can get the city to a tipping point where you will have some retailers come in hopefully this might make some difference," said Rip Rapson, president of the Kresge Foundation.

City officials hope the report will boost the city's image and the data can be used to entice new businesses. In the eight other cities where the report has been completed, that goal has a spotty record.

A study in Harlem, N.Y., resulted in a few new ATM machines and two Fleet Bank branches; in Cleveland, Key Bank opened a branch in a blighted shopping center; and in Houston, a 750,000 square foot new mall was built; and in Chicago, it helped lure in a Home Depot store.

In Cincinnati, their study, which was released in June, pegged its population at 378,259 and not the 332,252 the U.S. Census estimated."

"

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Cincinnati, their study, which was released in June, pegged its population at 378,259 and not the 332,252 the U.S. Census estimated."

Could the census bureau really be off by over 46,000?

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funny thing about Detroits population is its consistently under reported. While there is no doubt it has dwindled over the years, the present population has a significant number of residents who use suburban addresses ( whether it be family or friends) as their home address yet live in the city. This is basically due to insurance and tax issues. The city does not have a particularily good system for tracking this. Also many people who have second residences elsewhere,often use that address as their primary one, They therefore never get counted in the finals. Also there is a very large element of people who fall through the cracks in society who are not registered residents either yet live in Detroit. An informal study done on this several years ago by a federal agency gathering statistical data estimated that approximately 20,000-40,000 people are unaccounted for in Detroits population each year due to these factors.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill,

Don't forget that the City also has a sizable homeless population, minority population, and illegal immigrant population. Those groups are all undercounted. In places like Detroit where you do have extremes in poverty or minorities, that could have a very significant impact on the difference between the actual count and the census count.

However I have always seen the census count and the actual count as comparing apples with oranges.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 812
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem of course is that the "actual" count is unknowable, and the "census" count is the one used to disburse federal money and so on. So understanding the difference can be important if you are trying to make a point to anyone but the federal government (which itself treats census numbers as gospel).

I am going to guess that a reasonable statistician, understanding the recent posts by Detroitbill and Detroitplanner, would agree that we are probably undercounting in Detroit, and by a fairly significant amount. Now, are any of you out there reasonable statisticians? Care to comment? I've studied statistics but do not qualify as an expert.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3834
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.federalreserve.gov/ newsevents/speech/Bernanke2006 0420a.htm

quote:

Chairman Ben S. Bernanke
At the Greenlining Institute's Thirteenth Annual Economic Development Summit, Los Angeles, California
(via satellite)
April 20, 2006
By the Numbers: Data and Measurement in Community Economic Development

...Of course, knowledge bearing on community economic development has both qualitative and quantitative aspects, and it can be gained through diverse channels, from talking to people in a neighborhood to performing a regression analysis. Today, I will focus on the progress that is being made on the quantitative side--in particular, the remarkable strides that have been made in developing and analyzing social and economic data at the community level.

...Historically, government agencies have been the source of the most-comprehensive social and economic data bearing on community development. An important example is the data collected by the Federal Reserve under the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA). The HMDA data set provides extensive information on home mortgage applications to virtually all U.S. lenders, including approval rates, the socioeconomic characteristics of applicants, and most recently, mortgage pricing information. ...

Similarly, Social Compact's Neighborhood Market DrillDown methodology uses a multilayered research process to provide profiles of the market potential of high-density, lower-income communities. This approach focuses on business indicators--buying power, market size, unmet needs, and market risks--rather than on the deficiency statistics typically used to describe inner-city neighborhoods, such as rates of poverty, crime, and overcrowding. Social Compact, a coalition of business leaders, has applied its DrillDown approach to 101 neighborhoods over the past five years, beginning with Chicago neighborhoods and, most recently, in Santa Ana, California. By tapping existing public records and conducting intensive economic and demographic surveys, the DrillDown analyses of these 101 neighborhoods in eight cities have, in the aggregate, revealed additional income and buying power averaging nearly $6,000 per household, which is not captured by traditional sources of community-level data.2 Such information may attract private-sector investors to areas that had once been deemed untenable for investment. For example, following Social Compact's study of neighborhoods in Jacksonville, Florida, a developer announced plans to invest $45 million in a multi-use entertainment complex there. A DrillDown study in inner-city Houston revealed a population that was 25 percent larger than Census estimates, resulting in the redevelopment of a 750,000 square foot retail center that brought 2,000 jobs to a neighborhood that had not had new construction in fifty years. This shopping center is now one of the busiest retail centers in the city. 3

Work to improve the measurement of market potential in inner-city communities is continuing. In one such project, Social Compact and the Brookings Institution's Urban Markets Initiative group are collaborating in reviewing methods for measuring the size and composition of economies in urban areas around the world. The objectives of the review are to develop new tools for measuring economic activity at the local level and to identify areas for future research.

The Federal Reserve now officially recognizes Social Compact data for its Community Reinvestment Act scoring when added to HMDA data.

The reason that the information is consistently better in most communities is that Census data is notorious for under counting as alluded to by Bernanke.

If any of you yahoos want to poo-poo this as a "flim-flam", put your credentials up against the Chair of the Federal Reserve.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4154
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One claim made by the Census Bureau in its 2005 interim report was that Metro Detroit only attracted about 1/4 of the number of immigrants it should have been expected to. Perhaps, a major reason for failing to attract them was that immigrants often come to an area to seek jobs, and Detroit is dismal in that regard.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If any of you yahoos want to poo-poo this as a "flim-flam", put your credentials up against the Chair of the Federal Reserve.

LOLz.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 927
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, why does the News report say that the results across cities are always the same and that the city reports have, by and large, generated pretty small interest in investment - a few ATM's? If there was huge success to point to, I'd certainly be glad. I live in SWD and I want more investment there. But this seems like another one of the Mayor's grandiose announcements that are full of air.

TIME magazine has his number!

Skulker

Post Number: 3835
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the real issue here is the crap journalism in this city...

The results are the same because they keep finding the same errors, which systematically undercounts population and miscalculates income.

Results have been more than "a few ATMs"

You apparently didn't bother to read what was posted. Let me repost it again.

quote:

For example, following Social Compact's study of neighborhoods in Jacksonville, Florida, a developer announced plans to invest $45 million in a multi-use entertainment complex there. A DrillDown study in inner-city Houston revealed a population that was 25 percent larger than Census estimates, resulting in the redevelopment of a 750,000 square foot retail center that brought 2,000 jobs to a neighborhood that had not had new construction in fifty years. This shopping center is now one of the busiest retail centers in the city.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4157
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, what developers are planning to invest their private funds in Detroit? How much? And where?

Surely, these shouldn't be any secrets. There's no big gold rush happening here at the present.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to the actual report:

http://www.socialcompact.org/p dfs/DetroitDrillDownReport.pdf

(Note, this is a somewhat large 3.6MB pdf.)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prof Scott,

I don't study or work with undercounts, though I did once work for the Census. The best I can do is assume that since Detroit has such large populations of traditionally undercounted individuals that it would be much more severe here than it would be elsewhere.

By how much? Like I mentioned, I'd have no idea what the average undercount would be, so I am not qualified to answer your question.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4160
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a homeless dude has two (or ten) cities in which to live, what fraction of a person is he?

I know this one homeless guy in "Detroit" who spends 6 to 7 months here and 5 to 6 months in Florida, year after year. He's been on welfare (medical assistance, drinks some four/five 40s a day, and is 100 pounds overweight, minimum. He lived that way since he was 30 thirty-five years ago.

BTW, he never worked or ever paid into Social Security.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ how do i get that gig :-)

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, now that we have established Detroit has more than 800,000 residents, next move--------keeping them.

Increase Taxes!
Offer free healthcare AND education for residents who move to the city and live in the city.

<313>

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lyard,

I didn't think the homeless were part of the Social Compact, so your point is...irony?

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took this as meaning that Detroit has more buying power than previously thought thus making us more attractive to retailers. I don't know how someone could make this so negative. But HEY on this Forum I have noticed there are Detroit bashers that will say anything just to bash the City. I would LOVE to see how many of those people actually lived in the City.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As many people I know that didn't get counted in 2000 I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit will or always has had at or over a million people.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dumb-ass Kwame can try, all he wants, to spin this questionable "new information" into the suggestion that we Detroiters have much more buying power than has been recognized. The only people who I'm seeing more of? The broke-ass, non-taxpaying parasites.

Granmontrules

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Ravine. Give him credit for trying to improve our lives.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granmontrules: I'm not being a smart-ass when I thank you for reminding me of that aspect of the story. Up until recently, I have been TRYING to see our Mayor in as positive a light as I possibly could, but my resolve to do so has been losing wattage.
I'm still not sure how much more credit we should be extending to hizzoner, but none the less, your point is well taken.

Skulker

Post Number: 3836
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dumb-ass Kwame can try, all he wants, to spin this questionable "new information" into the suggestion that we Detroiters have much more buying power than has been recognized.

And only a dumbass would call this study and its results "questionable".

The Drilldown methodology has been peer reviewed at numerous universities and has been found to be a robust methodology with much more accurate results derived from the sheer breadth of indicators used. Many of the indicators are cross checks on other indicators to ensure that any outliers and anamolies are smoothed over and accounted for.

Again, when the Federal Reserve Board of Governors is a key partner (and funder) of the effort, one can take comfort that the information could hardly be characterized as "questionable".

Whether you like or dislike the mayor is irrelevant. The truth of the matter is that the information is state of the art and has a much higher accuracy than traditional data sets like Census data.

By the way it is not a "suggestion" that there is more buying power than is calculated traditionally. It is an iron clad fact.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Great, now that we have established Detroit has more than 800,000 residents, next move--------keeping them.

Increase Taxes!••••
Offer free healthcare AND education for residents who move to the city and live in the city.

Is this post supposed to be a joke? I mean, good lord, talk about fodder for Detroit bashers.

I do agree that this Social Compact report is good news, and it looks pretty solid.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 930
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker, I did a little reading on Social Compact yesterday. I saw that, last year, SC put out some compelling data about grocery stores in Detroit - that the market was underserved and that Detroit could support more full-service supermarkets.
Last year - before Kroger closed the two Farmer Jack's in Detroit.

So, racism apart - why do you think the wonderful, Federal Reserve-supported data on grocery shopping markets in Detroit was ignored by Kroger? Could they know, from long experience, something the Social Compact people don't know?

Also, I tried valiantly to find the $45 million dollar development in Jacksonville that SC says its research inspired. It does not appear to exist. There is a Texas shopping mall that was catalyzed by SC - but not too much else.

For the record, I AM a Detroiter, not a negative surburbanite.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they counting all the crackheads & homeless people cause if they are...they shouldn't count

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 949
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place is starting sound like the Free Press forums. Thank God, people like Skulker still post here to put a stop to all the ignorance.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Eric, it would be nice to see people express themselves with better use of the English language. I always wonder if many of the posters here speak person to person in the same manner. If so I would imagine alot of people would walk away. It seems the level of civility on this has decreased since this blogs creation, or is this representative of our society ? How sad if it is. We all have our own opinions and dont need to be verbally degraded for them. If you don't agree with a poster just plainly say so without calling them names and hurling profanities. It just a basic level of respect. Please try to show other posters manners, you will probably get a better discussion going also...respect, generally commands other peoples respect also.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Report Authors Gunned Down Outside Detroit Club

DETROIT -- Members of a group that authored a report showing that the Census Bureau undercounted Detroit by several thousand citizens were gunned down last night outside Bleu, a popular Detroit nightclub. The gunman, identified as a 42-year-old Troy resident and DetroitYES! poster, was released on bond this morning ...

Skulker

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap:

Kroger never owned Farmer Jack. Farmer Jack as a chain was struggling. You may recall that all 40+ stores closed at the same time, all but two of which were outside the City of Detroit in high income suburbs like Grosse Pointe, and even that did not save them. Kroger purchased 20 of the stores. There are other vacant Farmer Jacks in stable suburbs that have not been purchased or reopened yet as well. The Farmer Jack closure is a straw man argument.

The point of the report is that traditional means of counting income and population have kept retailers from making investments in Detroit and other central cities. Now that they have the information (for all of two days) they can begin making more informed decisions. No retailer is going to read a report at noon and open a store by 5:00pm the next day. Your argument that nothing is happening is facile at best.

If you will recall, the report you reference did not extend as far as the east side and was focused entirely on the East Riverfront, Lafayette Park, CBD, Midtown and Corktown. The data DID NOT encompass any of the main areas served by the two defunct Farmer Jacks. The City continues to meet with grocery chains and independent grocers to fill both locations.

The information uncovered in that report has led the City to extend the Drilldown City-wide.

Think before you post. Know who owned what stores when and make sure you know what reports you try to cite are actually about.

Jnot
Username: Jnot

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the most interesting thing in this study is the reported $800 million dollars of informal income... a suspicious figure on its own; they say that's from mowing grass, informal contracting, etc but claim it doesn't include illegal activities.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought he Detroit's population in reality was over-estimated. A lot of the peolpe counted for the census include Landlords who just pay taxes on homes and some of the people on here who may work and have a name signed on a home in Detroit but don't actually occupy it. So those things are never right. On the other hand, a lot of people aren't even counted in these population estimates. So neither one is accurate.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 03, 2007)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the argument for retail, there are other factors as well. The bad still outweighs the good (taxes, crime, income, neighborhoods).

Detroit does have full service Grocers (Mazen's, Honey Bee, Indian Village, even Glory on 8 Mile was Full Service when it first opened). Others have Pharmacies (Sav-Mart is one). However, at the same time, they're all poorly run grocers with those ugly metal bars.

So I don't think a slight difference in the population would affect how much retail is within City Limits.

Granmontrules

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doom and Gloom from the usual suspects.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.