Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Anybody ever work at Fisherbody Fleetwood Cadilac plant on Springwells and Fort? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked there from 74-78, anyone else work there?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10571
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friendly fellow named Jack used to deliver the paychecks, do you remember him?

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean the old Ternstedt plant?
My Mom worked there 25 years. Joanne. Dash boards and door trim.

Gannon

Post Number: 10588
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Fleetwood was at Springwells/West End and Fort Street for years and years until a pile of shipping containers fell on it.

There was another on Fort Street down at Livernois or Dragoon, then the rest on Clark Street at Michigan Avenue.

Dunno where Ternstedt was, although I heard that name mentioned.

Fleetwood made the ENTIRE coach body of the Cadillacs, it was a riot to see two-thirds of six or seven of 'em on those special trucks going to meet their engine/chassis down on Clark Street.

Some of my earliest childhood memories...Body by Fisher. That really meant something to those men...and later the women, too!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6392
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon - Ternstedt was Fort & Livernois.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5079
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Moms used to work there back in the 80's...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 928
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have the pronunciation wrong. It was "Ternstedt's" where people worked, and it was "Fleetwood's" - the real Detroit way.

Gannon

Post Number: 10594
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks AIW...we always referred to it as the Fort Street plant. Weird. Maybe my Irish folk didn't want to call out the Dutch/Deutch name?!

Gannon

Post Number: 10595
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylin' how many wombs did you gestate in?!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5081
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lmao...

Gannon

Post Number: 10596
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't resist, sorry.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wsu/vmc

Gannon

Post Number: 10603
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad ass, Hornwrecker.

Good to see you back 'round.

You even found one with one of those trucks in the foreground!

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was the only photo I've found so far, of one of those Fisher body carriers, and web searches only turn up my posts. Still looking...

Here's a site with the history of Fisher Body:

http://www.geocities.com/sponcom26/index.html

Gannon

Post Number: 10607
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, that answers my six or seven coach count...I was 'looking' back in my ancient photo memories, the fuzzy ones before my parent's divorce, and just couldn't quite remember.

Seven fine coaches on their way to becoming some bigwig's Caddy. (or bigwig wannabee, I guess!)

What comedian had the line that he wondered IF Cadillac engineers designed their cars to look ridiculous in ten years when driven by some white-trash drunk in a trailer park...slung low on the center armrest like a white Superfly?!

Gannon

Post Number: 10608
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that link...funny, according to IT, even THEY called the Ternstedt plant 'Fisher Body Fort Street Plant'. I think my father was the Controller there for a short while, or one step below that spot.

vindicated, again. huzzah!

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was the view we had of the Fleetwood plant from my friend Ron's house across the freeway on Glinnan. This pic is from 78

Gannon

Post Number: 10614
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some complexion problem, hope that cleared up.

Is that a Mustang, or hopped up Maverick?! Can't quite tell what type of iron that is...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3391
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like he's holding an 8-track tape.

Those were the days!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, complexion problem was because I did not clear with him the use of his pic on the web yet. lol
add 30 yrs to him and cut his hair, and you may see him around the area in a Pepsi truck?

as far as the car you have a good eye, Hopped up yes, Maverick Grabber (White w/Green stripes)Fun little car to cruise the hood too!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little_buddy,
I don't know if she worked as a nurse or in a cafeteria, But during those years I remember a very hot looking blond walking down my street to go to work there, wearing the standard white nurse looking outfit in the skirt version, if anyone knows her, tell her thanks from all the guys lol

Gannon

Post Number: 10620
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll ask my father...heh.

He's the dude that passed out the paychecks.

That Maverick was one of the greatest sleepers of the time. Heck, my mother had one with only that straight six...and I discovered, a few years before getting my license, that if you left the trans in second and jumped on it you could get some great 'action' out of the rear wheels when you threw the tranny into first gear.

Made for some fun fishtailing lessons around the Aviation Subdivision proving grounds at Miller/Meyers and Tireman!!

The keyhole wore out on the steering wheel, it was probably the first locking system Ford engineered...and I learned during one of my mother's afternoon naps that I could start it without her key!

So yeah, got some good memories of the Maverick...AND Fleetwood...you just happened to score with that picture!

If he drives for Pepsi, he's always around my neighborhood. I'll have to look up into the cabs as they drive Mack on their way home...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A close-up of the Body by Fisher emblem that graced millions of door sill plates.

Fisher Body emblem

This emblem was embedded in a souvenir coaster that was produced for an open house at the Fort St. Plant (at Livernois). That open house would have had to have been held sometime during the period 1969-1984 (prior to 1969 it was a Ternstedt plant and Fisher Body no longer existed after 1984).

Fisher Body coaster - top

Fisher Body coaster - bottom

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Fisher Body Emblem hangs on the wall of Lucky Auto in Pontiac.It is plastic and measures 3 feet wide by 2 feet tall.It came from Fisher Body that used to be in Pontiac.And yes Jjaba the sign reads shalom in hebrew.
Body By Fisher

Savannahsmiles
Username: Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom worked at that plant for a minute right before I was born in 1966. She sewed upholstery. I can't even imagine what it looks like there now with that building gone. What about the railroad tracks behind it? Are they still used? I used to know all the areas down there where I could outrun a train to get where I was going.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.