Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Police Dildo Days « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the City of Detroit Police cars in the late 70s and 80s with the "Dildo Days" bumper stickers? They featured DILDO in big red letters with a creepy looking clown.

Does anyone know what that was about?

Man, I'd love to get one of those stickers!

(Message edited by detroitsuperfly on October 01, 2007)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5076
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They may have them on eBay Supa fly...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10580
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They may have destroyed them all, after prosecuting that evil double-entendre stiff-assed clown.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

somebody in the DPS marketing department not realise what a terrible clown name that was?

None
Username: None

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Omg dude just sat down to 2:00 break with a fresh coffee at the bosses desk after ganga therapy read your post and proceeded to blow coffee all over the bosses brand new personal 30" inch hd flat screen monitor.

However it was well worth it
Thanks so much for the Smile, Superfly

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BILBO the Clown

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They later changed it to BILBO. But I remember vividly seeing the DILDO stickers until about 85 or 86.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a Detroit Police field day bumper sticker someone altered by taking a few copies and cutting out the necessary letters and sticking them over the word "field" in "field day"
that photo appeared on the "photo phunnies" page of Nation Lampoon in the late 70s early 80s.

Skamour14
Username: Skamour14

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does any one have a copy of the picture at least???? Oh , man I would not only shit my pants and post it on here..... but I would drive to Royal Oak.... yell in someones face..... and Then walk down the streets.... drunk and holding Bilbo the dildo

None

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll photo shop the bitch and buy the booze, when ya wanna go

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4188
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard of this, but since memories are foggy on this thread, I could see where it really was BILBO which, with a couple of quick strokes of white paint, heh, could be defaced into DILDO. Pulling that over on the cops would be quite a score, especially if the clown was a er...

I would be very surprised if in that post-Deep Throat filmic era, that anyone could be so naive enough to allow a clown to be named Dildo, especially cops who see and know it all.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, National Lampoon ran a few photos of the DYKELAND sign

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6628
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I though a dildo is a male P$%#%^! Oops we have young kids in the forum!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10642
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Danny, that would be a FAKE one.

You know where the real one is...as do all of the young boys on this forum.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right you are Lowell; so-sad to spoil the sophomoric fun....BILBO the Clown's affiliation with DPD started well before my time. I do remember posters and placards dating back to the middle 1960s.

None

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the afore mentioned photo shopped bumper sticker however my HTML skills seem to work elsewhere rather well, here not so much

edit>Nancy Regan had a point apparently,
Photobucket with a link I think.

Just say NO

(Message edited by none on October 02, 2007)

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd agree that it was a prank, or that it was a one off, but I saw it for years on more than one police car.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitsuperfly.....So glad to see that you mentioned the phrase "one off". I often ask my kids: "why say "one off" instead of "one of"...if indeed the reference is to "one of a kind"?

One more interesting thing....and it is a Detroit thing:

Years ago, growing up in Detroit - attending Mackenzie High School; if you screwed-up, you would say "sorry man, my-bag". Back then, one's "bag" was their "thing"...their "trip" - as it were.

Somehow, over the years...."my-bag" morphed into "my-bad".

Ain't that weird?

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One off the press is the reference. Its a common term.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Somehow, over the years...."my-bag" morphed into "my-bad".

There are other etymologies, e.g., http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl /languagelog/archives/002693.h tml

None

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bag has always been my bag except my old lady is around then it was our bag, however my bag has always been my bag unless you wanted to buy that bag, so what years did you attend Mackenzie high school, Wyoming St 48204 cause that phrase is lost to me, It's been almost twenty years, however it was my neighborhood school

Chuckjav

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None...humorous turn of words regarding baggage - keep 'em thin to win.
I was at Mackenzie from '73 until '76; before there was Pepper (Johnson)...there was (Salt) Greene - aka The White Stag.

So as to avoid another threadjack on my part; BILBO The Clown Lives!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z-Process....Thanks for the link.

More threadjacking from chuckjav:

Wow, those college folks need to hear from me.

True-enough, "My Bag/My Bad" is an apologetic term uttered on basketball courts/athletic fields - but way, way before the 1980s. I recall hearing friends and foes alike shouting the phrase in the 1960s.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread hasn't turned out as well as I'd hoped, but ya gotta love seeing "Detroit Police Dildo Days" bumped to the top of the list of threads. It's almost an HOF thread based on the title alone.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Dildo, Newfoundland and their "Dildo Days". Their mascot is Captain Dildo.

Rumors are that he only has one eye!

http://tinyurl.com/24wo2y

None

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav

73 thru 76 was K thru 3rd grade for me, so ya we sorta missed each other by a few years

Skamour14
Username: Skamour14

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

panting............. whew I am soooo drunk, just got back from royal oak..... and in case u all didnt hear, I shit my pants. Hhahahhaha dildos..... hahahhahhahahahhahhahhaha. Pants please!

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the geography lesson, jrvass.

I see that Dildo is also on the road to Heart's Delight, Heart's Desire and Heart's Content.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't "My Bag" slang for occupation or activity?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo...yes, as in "my trip", "my thing".

"My bag" as a forerunner to "my bad" made sense back in the 60s - however, it seems goofy in this day & age. I do recall hearing folks say "my bag" as a college student in Kalamazoo during the early 80s.
I didn't hear the term "my bad" until the 1990s, while working as a teacher in SW Ohio.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3415
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always associated "my bag" with Maynard G. Krebs, the stereotypical beatnik played by Bob Denver on the Dobie Gillis show.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.