Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bo's the Difference between U-M and MSU » Archive through September 28, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a little what ifs, what if MSU had hired Barry Switzer or completed the outright steal of Tom Osborn from Nebraska. We will never know, but what we do know is Bo and loss of WJR and continued ineptitude has killed a once proud college football program.

BTW, even before Bo appeared on the scene the MSU dominance from black players and former military was disappearing as other schools especially down south started accepting and even playing certain groups that they had banished before.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover,

What would those facts get in the way of? I never once said that MSU sold as much product as UM. So I really don't understand the relevance. Also, if you are talking about legacy and tradition, sales figures aren't the way you look at things. Britney Spears has probably sold 10x the amount of albums the White Stripes have, but in terms of leaving their artistic, groundbreaking mark on music, I would say the White Stripes will outlast her and influence more musicians.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City:

What facts? Do you mean your opinion? Most years the disparity isn't that great, and MSU has outsold UM in the recent past (2000- I had a typo in my post when I typed 1990). Your cite is completely worthless for the reasons I previously stated. I'm not sure why this matters, but you seem to care a little more than you let on.

_sj_

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real Merchandise:

quote:

Top-75 Universities
(1.) The University of Texas at Austin (2.) University of Notre Dame (3.) The University of Florida (4.) The University of Michigan (5.) University of Georgia (6.) University of North Carolina (7.) The University of Alabama (8.) University of Oklahoma (9.) University of Tennessee at Knoxville (10.) The Pennsylvania State University (11.) Louisiana State University (12.) Florida State University (13.) Auburn University (14.) University of Nebraska (15.) University of Wisconsin (16.) University of Kentucky (17.) University of Illinois (18.) University of Arkansas Fayetteville (19.) University of Miami (20.) Clemson University (21.) University of South Carolina (22.) University of Kansas (23.) Duke University (24.) Oklahoma State University (25.) University of Minnesota (26.) The University of Arizona (27.) University of Louisville (28.) University of Maryland (29.) Texas Tech University (30.) Purdue University (31.) The University of Virginia (32.) Kansas State University (33.) Syracuse University (34.) Washington State University (35.) University of Missouri (36.) University of Washington (37.) Georgia Institute of Technology (38.) Oregon State University (39.) University of Mississippi (40.) Stanford University (41.) University of Pittsburgh (42.) University of Connecticut (43.) University of Colorado (44.) Boise State University (45.) University of Cincinnati (46.) Georgetown University (47.) The University of Montana (48.) University of Utah (49.) Boston College (50.) Brigham Young University (51.) Marshall University (52.) Colorado State University (53.) U.S. Military Academy (54.) United States Air Force Academy (55.) University of New Mexico (56.) Gonzaga University (57.) Fresno State University (58.) Texas Christian University (59.) Northwestern University (60.) Villanova University (61.) East Carolina University (62.) University of Memphis (63.) University of South Florida (64.) The University of Wyoming (65.) Baylor University (66.) Marquette University (67.) University of Central Florida (68.) University of Texas El Paso (69.) University of Nevada (70.) University of Houston (71.) Southern Illinois University (72.) Texas State University - San Marcos (73.) Tulane University (74.) University of Delaware (75.) Temple University

Texas was #1 for 2 years, North Carolina was #1 before that for I believe 5-10 years.

(Message edited by _sj_ on September 27, 2007)

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ... you might want to read my 3:15 post.

_sj_

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhh, I was adding to it. Where do you think I got the quote from.

(Message edited by _sj_ on September 27, 2007)

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just keep drinking the Maize & Blue Kool-aid He was an ( Arrogant ) ASS-what did he ever win at UM as Coach??????????

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2655
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brilliant post eric w. Insightful and obvious that you really know your shit_ dumbass

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City-go ahead take another swig be my guest.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though I have kids who graduated from U of M undergrad and Law school, and from MSU undergrad and Med school, I think they both have lousy football teams for the reasons posted above by many of you.

When I practiced law I was my firm's recruiting partner for 2 years and I never hired one U of M grad for the reason that I thought their grads were arrogant and too academic... they all had their GPA's out to 5 decimal places, as if that were the sole criteria for getting hired. Most acted as if they were doing you a favor by interviewing w/ you. (Another person on this forum took over as hiring partner from me and had the same experience.)

U of M's Grad School of Business just got downgraded several notches and is no longer in the top 5; one of the reasons --- guess what ---arrogant students.

This is little off-thread but their football fans (the many I know) are the same way and there are a lot of people out here happy as hell with this year's season so far.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 475
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just keep drinking the Maize & Blue Kool-aid He was an ( Arrogant ) ASS-what did he ever win at UM as Coach??????????

13 Big Ten championships and 194 games in 21 seasons, including an 18-4 record against MSU.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 814
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

18-4, Damn Spartans give the man some credit.
3rd world, you sound like a guy who didnt quite make the cut.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 781
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's funny that the Michigan fans here quote stats against MSU as a way to claim their far superior tradition, when just a few posts above they said MSU has been pathetic for 40 years. Well congrats, you guys beat up on a pathetic opponent.

Each side is going to quote this or that to make their point. This was a stupid thread from the beginning, considering the title has nothing to do with the quote from the book.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 815
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Detroitstar, lets quit and agree, MSU has been pathetic for 40 years.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 4491
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are joking right?? Nobody (other than actual players) chooses schools based on a coach, or football team. If they do, whatever choice they make logically is the wrong/stupid choice.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp: At the time I didn't have the money to go to either school, and I'm very glad. I made the cut at WSU, where it counted. (Must have done something right along the way.)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about the fact that Michigan stole Michigan State's helmet?

Nope, the coach that brought the winged helmet to Michigan was the guy who originally instituted them at Princeton ~ winged helmets

Personally, I find U-Mich sports fans who never went to school there to be the most obnoxious. While many students watch the games, a lot couldn't care less about sports.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not the truth.

MSU was kicking the crap out of teams everywhere because blacks couldn't play anyplace else on a major team. MSU was growing and used the sport of football to gain reputation. Yes Bear Byrant sent a lot of talent north and MSU prospered. MSU will always hate u o m because the "traditional" m did all they could to keep MSU out of the big ten. Why? Guess.

All Bo did was see what happened in 1965 & 66. MSU made huge headlines. Their coaching staff knew then what was posible when you had a good headline. So what Bo did was control what was writen in local media. You wrote something that showed michigan in a bad way, you got booted from the press box.

Take as you wish but if you want to talk "tradition" about michigan, don't forget what they did that was "questionable". But of course they dodn't want you to remember that.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tradition of Michigan Football:

1879 - 2006

127 seasons
11 National Championships
42 Conference Championships

Big Ten: 100 years 637 games 455-164-18 winning % .728
Bowl Games: 38 games 18-20-0 winning % .473
All Home Games: 123 years 721 games 572-128-21 winning % .808
Michigan Stadium: 80 years 489 games 368-106-15 winning % .768
Overall: 127 years 1,178 games 860-282-36 winning % .745 <== not too shabby!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those days are over

Lilpup

Post Number: 2826
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

remind me to bump this thread in a couple of months

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see Michigan's stats from the past 5 seasons. A far different story!

Lilpup

Post Number: 2827
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh, no, not really:

yearoverallconference
200210-36-2
200310-37-1
20049-37-1
20057-55-3
200611-27-1

total 47-16 overall (.746) and 32-8 conference (.800)

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bowl?

Lilpup

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every year, including 3 Roses and a win over Florida :-)

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'm beginning to understand why employers lampooned U of M business grads. It isn't good enough to attend the best school in the state. A few U of M fans (I'm not sure they all actually attended)feel compelled to piss on the number 2 school in the state. Is it a reaction from being pissed on by the Harvard and Yale grads?

Lilpup

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The no. 2 school in the state isn't above pissing back, nor is that school down south afraid (actually, they're the worst). It seems to just be another incorporation of the midwestern character complex (though Boston and NY do it a lot, too).

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3712
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well played, Lilpup.

Thanks for the excerpt of a book I need to read, Goblue.

The difference between UM and MSU? Well it's pretty much the same in academics and football. Attitude, expectations, class, excellence, and about 45 spots in the national rankings.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3713
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gmich99 says "is it a reaction from being pissed on by the Harvard and Yale grads?"

I don't know about any pissing they might do on us, but Michigan people have nothing but respect for our superiors. We know that Northwestern is the best Big Ten school, and that nobody can touch Princeton, Yale or Harvard. When your in the top 20 or 30 schools it's kind of like being in a private club where everyone gets along. Everyone else is left out, and seems rather inclined to bite at the ankles of the top tier. It explains why I can't have a conflict-free conversation with a Spartan. It is by no desire of mine, as I don't piss on them until they initiate the contest.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue,
See what you started. Your kidding with ES61 has produced some interesting commentary. LOL.