Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Need some odds and ends for a restoration « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those of you who have seen some of my past posts know that I am a classic signal/sign enthusiast. I am restoring a ca.1960s Marblelite signal cluster with a street sign spire on top. Does anyone have an authentic Detroit white background/black lettered street sign they would like to sell or part with?? I know it is an odd request/longshot, but I figured I would try. Here's a picture of the work in progress:

MarbResto

Thanks in advance
JOE

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbor has perhaps 50 signs that she uses as an edging for her landscaping. She is elderly, so she does not come out very often. The next time I see her, though, I will ask her if she'd be willing to part with some/all of them and at what cost.

If you could offer something per sign or even some kind of replacement, she might take you up on it.

(Message edited by Abracadabra on October 01, 2007)

Detroit_signal

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's very unique! What kinds of signs are they? I may be interested in some depending on what they say or their age. Thank you for the information, please pass along what you find out.

I would offer $15-$40 per or a flat amount for a bunch depending on what she has.

Abracadabra

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The signs are white with black letters, with a black band around the outside. They are one sided. There are quite a few duplicates. They appear to be in great condition for having been half buried in dirt. I believe her husband bought them at one of the city garage sales at Cobo years ago. Some of the names of streets I can see from my side of the fence are :
Curtis, Grove, Meyers, Clarita, Pickford, Jefferies, and John C Lodge.

I will try to stop over there later today. She lost her husband this summer after over 60 years of marriage, so I am sure she will enjoy some company.

Abracadabra

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I stopped over there today. She really isn't keen on getting rid of them, but she gave me 4 signs that weren't being used. They are :
Margareta, Birwood, Curtis, and Cloverlawn.

You can have them. Some paint is peeling on them, where they were under the dirt. Email me at abracadabrafurniture @ yahoo.com and I will give you my address.

Detroit_signal

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have mail Abracadabra!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.