Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Envision a perfect Detroit... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what would your perfect Detroit look like?

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abundance of high-tech jobs for our well-educated populace, who nod politely to each other as they pass on the street, while acknowledging hard-working city employees cleaning the sidewalks, stopping only to let the unicorns pass before them.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manhattan.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Kansas or New York? =)

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Washingon DC.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 466
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like 1950 Detroit.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5087
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Nice and segregated eh brian....

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G1 HP

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1950 Detroit:
The good news: the DPD arrived in under a minute.
The bad news: once they got there......

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3721
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About twice as dense as it currently is.

Whatever the case, no vacant lots or surface parking.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 467
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Detroit is so diverse now.

No segregation here.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4646
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh bloody hell. A perfect Detroit? Well I think plenty of unicorns to start. 800-story building made of milk chocolate with caramel centers would be nice as well. Women would be plentiful and easy. Money would be free. Children would run and play all day long. And the McDonalds on Woodward near Forest would serve lobster with drawn butter and red skin potatoes. Also the politicians would fart rainbows and roses.

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visualize a population where there is no one true minority; dozens of different languages are heard on the widely available and accommodating public transit system as the City draws visitors from around the world. Plenty of markets selling fresh and freshly prepared food offer choices to shoppers who also like to frequent restaurants featuring cuisine from a wide variety of regions and countries. People meet and mingle on streets and in establishments, which cater to different tastes. People are happy and smile and greet each other and practice respect and privacy.
Recycling of EVERYthing becomes a large industry – homes are taken apart and re-used instead of plowed under and burned. Empty lots become Christmas tree farms and community gardens and the whole City shares the harvest.
The addicted, the beaten down, the underprivileged, are all taught their own self worth and rise up into contributing citizenship – they receive training and jobs and become appreciative.
The Drug Lords are all identified and run out by lack of business. All children avoid the temptations of glorified street life and instead learn respect for themselves and their City. Their parents gain sobriety and become better role models.
Abundance is seen and shared and all the people realize that there is enough for everyone.
Detroit is the City of Healing and leads the entire country into a new energy by example.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it would be a wonderful place where my loft would double in value, i could leave my car windows down, and none of my neighbors would get shot. ya that would be geat!!

P.S. please read this in a funny voice,
thanks

(Message edited by monahan568 on October 01, 2007)

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stopping only to let the unicorns pass before them

Thought I knew you from somewhere gooey and sweet...

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@ Oldoak, your post reminded me of a concept I once had for a website. I wanted to create a website where the visitor would download pictures of blighted areas of Detroit and photoshop them with new designs, buildings, parks, etc, then upload them for the world to see. I didn't do it because I don't think there are that many people out there that have a mastery of photoshop and this would require them to be pretty advanced. It would be nice to see what people came up with though...

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on October 01, 2007)

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on October 01, 2007)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like it is today, except more buildings, more people, and more food.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 814
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is too easy. It would look like real cities look which includes good parts and bad parts, neighborhoods of every conceivable ethnicity, people on the street, bums and lawyers, children and old people.

The part of Detroit that looks most like this is the southwest area IMHO. Take a drive (better yet, bus ride) down Vernor during the day, maybe around Springwells or so. Imagine that with a little more money (not much) and better public transportation (much) and you're there.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i could still go to games at Tiger Stadium

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a - large question.

I think the "perfect" Detroit is one that retains it's character - I don't want it to be Washington D.C. or Manhattan. I want it to still be "Detroit." If I wanted "Manhattan" I could of and still can move there, and if you want that, you should move there yourself, 'cause Detroit is never going to be - and should not be - those things. There are elements we could bring in, but this is not New York. We should stop the folly of "let's copy all of X here" and start to love ourselves a little bit.

Detroit needs to reflect the fact and use to it's strength that it can be a center of black american culture. Conversely, it's government needs to be less exclusionary of other minorities (read: Hispanics and Chaldeans) and realize that this isn't a power grab - african americans are and will continue to be the overriding majority for quite awhile. And, that's not a bad - or good thing. It's just what it is.

I envision a Detroit with a focus on core services - safety, lighting, fire, ambulance - so that people get great value for the taxes they pay.

I see a Detroit that leverages it's international border to the fullest, bringing in (and using the local) world-class talent and stopping the insanity of so many international business companies being in the outburbs of Oakland County, far away from the action.

I see a Detroit that uses a direct rail link to Metro Airport link to re-establish it's pre-eminence in a region where there is no true urban center, just urban villages.

I see a Detroit that embraces technology and the new economy, and due to it's favorable geological and meteorological features becomes an Entrepreneurial and Tech Mecca (no earthquakes (San Francisco), no big volcanoes nearby (Seattle), Not as high cost of living (San Francisco, Silicon Valley, New York, Boston Corridor), plenty of water - all great things for tech infrastructure.

In turn, I see a Detroit Region that starts to realize that it has more in common than apart - and that we're all in the same global boat and we better darn well start working together, or we will continue to produce mediocrity and leak talent like sieve.

And most of all, I envision a Detroit that LOVES ITSELF AGAIN. Yes, we have problems, and major ones at that, as a city and a region. But no one ever succeeds going "Woe is ME!" and "Everything sucks!" People succeed when they get that unstoppable determination that, no matter what, I'm going to make it and it IS a beautiful city.

It's why, in conversation, I tell people about beautiful downtown Detroit or the beautiful city of Detroit, and sure, sometimes they look at me like I'm on crack, but it also gives me a great opportunity to talk positively - and all of a sudden, lights switch on.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4190
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

International metropolitan Detroit - core city, suburbs, exurbs and Windsor - united in common governance. No borders, no abrasive border guards, with boats and cars passing freely back and forth across the Detroit River. All resources and burdens shared. One united city focusing on and addressing all common needs and goals.

[Oh yeah, and bring back the International Restaurant in Greektown.]

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3268
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that many of the attributes of a "perfect" city listed on this thread have no representation in the real world. Did you folks every think that maybe the large urban metropolis model you love so much has inherent difficulties that make these things next to impossible to attain?

Is crowding 100's of thousands of people together a good idea? That is arguable. There aren't that many large cities out there that don't have some major problems. There are quite a few that are doing better than Detroit I guess.

I would settle for a safe city that wasn't considered a dump by most of the world and was not dragging down an entire region with it. Do you have any idea of the size of the investment that would be needed to accomplish even a fraction of what you are speaking of? Billions.

I don't see anyone coming forward with that kind of money right now. It is going to be a long hard road back. It took years to build the region to what it used to be and it will take many years to restore it. Damn, we haven't even seen the bottom yet most likely.

There are some seeds planted here and there I suppose. I guess we can all dream in the meantime. :-)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3397
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Interesting that many of the attributes of a "perfect" city listed on this thread have no representation in the real world. Did you folks every think that maybe the large urban metropolis model you love so much has inherent difficulties that make these things next to impossible to attain?

Such as...?

quote:

Is crowding 100's of thousands of people together a good idea? That is arguable. There aren't that many large cities out there that don't have some major problems.

No one is talking about recreating Calcutta. It's painfully obvious that Detroit was more prosperous in the Fifties, when its population was double what it is now. Decentralization is at the root of the economic inefficiencies in Southeast Michigan.

quote:

I don't see anyone coming forward with that kind of money right now. It is going to be a long hard road back. It took years to build the region to what it used to be and it will take many years to restore it. Damn, we haven't even seen the bottom yet most likely.

There are some seeds planted here and there I suppose. I guess we can all dream in the meantime. :-)

Your generation wrecked cities all over America, and now it's the post-baby boomers who are trying to correct these mistakes. You can wait around for a Savior or Guardian Angel if you want. There are plenty of people who would rather come up with constructive ideas and move forward. The only thing you ever seem to offer is "cut taxes" and "there isn't enough money". Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 794
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exists in a world where money is obsolete. Yes, money is obsolete. By extension eliminating poverty, and drastically reducing violence and war. Everyone works for the common good realizing that no one is better than any other. The acquisition of wealth and material goods is no longer a driving economic force.

but more realistically, Seattle and Portland seem to have it going on. Mass transit serves the city and many suburbs very well. The downtowns are very dense and bustling. Violent crime is EXTREMELY low for a large city. Economies are very advanced and diversified and unemployment is low.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6634
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This picture shows about the future of Detroit in the year 3007.

Now that's what I call Delta City.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manhattan. Or Chicago.

A booming tech-town, with a continued "headquarters" presence in the Auto industry, 1 Million more people in the city limits, rail/commuter service to Airport, Dearborn, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Troy, Pontiac...local subway downtown (no more people mover), OR streetcars, completed riverfront with strong, urban residential feel, and strong retail presence along E. Jefferson (between 375 and McArthur bridge...ala Streeterville in Chicago), smaller scale retail look & feel along E. Jefferson in Indian Village (ala mack avenue in Grosse Point), the entire length of E. Jefferson a blvd. with nice tree canopy, more hotels on the riverfront where cobo and joe lewis were torn down in 2010...

There's few.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3314
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Your generation wrecked cities all over America

Huh? WA HA HA HA! That is priceless, thanks for that. :-)

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this going to be before or after the collapse of this area? Cause sh-- is still not getting better....Sorry to rain on everyone's gummy drop rainbow unicorn parade.... I see the city more like Mad Max beyond thunderdome.

Amiller
Username: Amiller

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mass Transit--
Metro lines (a.k.a subway, not light-rail, not bus, not commuter rail) from Downtown connecting to the core suburbs of Dearborn, Southfield, Ferndale/Royal Oak. Commuter rail connecting the outer-suburbs and Ann Arbor and Brighton. Regional Rail connecting Flint, Lansing, Toledo. High-speed rail connecting Detroit and Chicago, and Detroit to the East coast. Light rail connecting suburbs (like Plymouth to Northville or Royal Oak to Birmingham). A mass transit line from Detroit Metro to Downtown. Every house within walking distance to a bus stop that takes you to either a light rail, commuter rail or metro line.

Urban Development--
Because of the investment in mass transit, development as sprung up all around new mass transit lines, especially the heavy-rail metro lines. The inner city has re-urbanized, and the outer suburbs have urbanized and no longer appear as regular suburbs.

The urban development in the city has been a result of the solidarity and cooperation of the entire community, and they have raised themselves out of devastation, without being exploited by the rich and greedy. The development is not what is called "gentrification," but rather "re-industrialization," as an abundant amount of jobs have sprung up.

Economy--
The entire economic system of not only the Detroit area, but the entire united states has been dramatically transformed. Rewards are no longer based according productive output, but rather according to effort and sacrifice. Work loads are almost equal among the residents of Metro Detroit. Each citizen takes on a Balanced Job Complex, a mix of creative or empowering and rote or onerous work so that each person has about the same amount of work. Those who work more get paid more. Decisions in the work place and community are made only by those who are affected. Every citizen has control over the decisions that affect them to the degree in which they are affected. In the workplace there is no managers, coordinators, or owners. Decisions about managing the business are made by those who are affected in participatory and democratic councils. If a certain task requires one worker to be more empowered over another, that job will be rotated and balanced so that no one has more power than another. Decisions about production and consumption are also made by councils -- this is called participatory planning. Participatory planning will replace markets. No longer are buyers and sellers pitted against each other, but rather they work in solidarity. No longer will externalities not be accounted for. In capitalism, transactions may affect those not part of the transaction (for example a deal to build a coal plant might affect the health of the community and environment, but neither are taken into account). In a participatory economy, all parties are taken into account, and all people have control over the decisions that affect them, to the degree that they are affected.

For example, why should a big private equity firm be allowed to buy up all the rental units in Detroit and then raise the rent, forcing the poor out? This happens in Brooklyn on a daily basis, and it will happen in Detroit soon enough. This is an example of people NOT having control over decisions that affect them. In a participatory economy, there would be no renters, because no one would own something for themselves that has productive output or that effects other people. So one person would not own an entire business unless that one person built, from scratch the entire factory, and operated all its machinery, and managed all its finances and all its sales. Every business and every community is dependent on the work of many people. Why should one person be subordinate to another? If its those in the factory that are producing the product, shouldn't they have as much say in what goes on as those who are working in the office?

Something to think about.

Politics--
Just like the economy, the entire political system has been transformed. Local councils decide everything. The lowest council is the individual. Individuals make decisions that only affect the individual. Above the individual is the neighborhood. A neighborhood council would make the decisions that affect the neighborhood. Above he neighborhood is the city, and then the region, and so on... Each council is autonomous but still accountable to the others. Their structure is participatory, as in there are delegates that are directly accountable and recallable to their constituencies. In a participatory political system, delegates would work for the will of the community, not for their own self-interest. Each council would be nested on top of the lower ones, so the lowest councils (the individuals and community) are still in control.

Culture and Kinship --
Not only have the political and economic systems been transformed but also the cultural and kinship systems. Patriarchy has been abolished, racism has been abolished. New institutions such as multiculturalism and feminism have replaced these old and oppressive institutions. No longer are straight, white males in control. All people have equal opportunity to succeed, without the barriers of oppressive cultural and kinship norms.

Environment--
The ecology of metro Detroit has been transformed. Sustainability and ethics reigns supreme over profit margin. Suburban development has been halted through numerous methods. A ring of massive parks have been developed around the outer suburbs, new parks have been created within the metro area. Farm land has been reclaimed, and unused land turned into gardens and parks. Abandoned buildings have been redeveloped. When we get tired of a place we no longer just move out and build something new (while destroying our environment), we work with what we got and we make it better, so it becomes new.

This may seem like a utopic vision, but thats what visions are. It is something to work toward. This, idealy, is the society in which I seek to live. But moreover, I seek to live in a society in which everyone has an equal chance to shape the direction of that society, not only intellectuals and the rich.

Together, we can achieve the impossible.
For, truly, Another World IS Possible.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

an elevated monorail takes me from my downtown riverfront estate to shopping and recreation in the suburbs and around the state. Stohs and Faygo drinking fountains line every corner. Smirnoff moves it's factory back to the D and encourages everyone to stop in for their free factory tour and sampling....

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "In turn, I see a Detroit Region that starts to realize that it has more in common than apart - and that we're all in the same global boat and we better darn well start working together, or we will continue to produce mediocrity..."

This can be said about the entire human race -- good post.

Margaret thanks for the wonderful question.

If you can vision it -- it can be done!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you can vision it -- it can be done!

If you can use vision as a verb, does it make it one?

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Is that some kind of zen koan?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.