Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Help identify this Great Lakes steamer! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am no expert on the 1910s-1930s Detroit steamers and could use some help identifying this guy:

http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Postcards/Steamer.jpg

It's not the Greater Detroit or the City of Detroit III (not enough smokestacks). Could it be the Eastern States? I know the color scheme would match, but I think the Eastern States had only one smokestack. Sure looks like a D&C steamer judging by its appearance and the logo on the front.
Any help is appreciated.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6393
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that's the City of Cleveland, less glamourous sister of the City of Detroit. Based on the color scheme it's a D&C ship..

http://www.hhpl.on.ca/GreatLak es/GLImages/FullImage.asp?ifid =1363&number=

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name on the bow does seem to be City of Cleveland. Love the pix!

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would it be a Cleveland Steamer then?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D& C = Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Company, I think.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on October 02, 2007)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is from the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History:

As late as the first quarter of the 20th century, the Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Co. and the CLEVELAND & BUFFALO TRANSIT CO. boomed the merits of pleasure and overnight business trips by water: "Spacious stateroom and parlors combined with the quietness with which the boats are operated ensures refreshing sleep." But by World War II, the automobile and airplane--the same transportation forms that would greatly reduce intercity rail passenger travel--virtually killed lake passenger service, and the piers at the foot of E. 9th St. became quiet. ...

http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/ar ticle.pl?id=T6

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although this photo/post card says "Off for the upper lakes", this vessel spent most of her life on the Detroit to Cleveland run. Hardly, "the upper lakes".
She had a sad demise, however, being involved in a fatal collision with a Norwegian freighter in Lake Huron in 1950. I remember seeing her when we were on a trip from Detroit to Buffalo in another D and C steamer, and she was just sitting idle at a slip in Windsor. No repairs to her port side were even started, and then she fell victim to a fire and was finally scrapped in Buffalo about 50 years ago.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 922
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, guys. Now, postcards from this era can be inaccurate, but the other images of the City of Cleveland make it look longer than the one in the postcard I posted. Still, two smokestacks, so it could be the winner!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.