Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Do Autos help or hurt talent attraction and retention in Michigan? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Collective
Username: Collective

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So VW said they were leaving Michigan because they thought Virginia would help them attract a more "Creative and Motivated" talent pool. I find this very offensive to Detroiters. As a native Detroiter and the son of a 30 year GM employee the last place I wanted to work for was an auto. I'm plenty motivated and I'm somewhat creative and that's exactly why I wouldn't want to work for ANY Auto...domestic or otherwise.

I posted a little rant on my blog you can check out here: kick the autos out

I wanted to get others opinions. I'm particularly interested in people that left Michigan because they felt like the Auto industry was the only industry in town.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you misread their statement...

They weren't so much saying that Virginians are more creative and motivated than Michiganders, which may or may not be true...

They were saying that people who are more creative and talented, i.e., people who are high in demand, low in supply and have more choice in who to go to work for, are more likely to want to relocate to VA to go to work for VW than to SE MI...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^In addition, the domestic autos get the favortism in the region for everything from government, to publicity, to employee recruitment.

Collective
Username: Collective

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus...

That's my point exactly. They will have a hard time attracting creative and motivated people anywhere they go. Look at the stats from my post. They want to get more productivity out of 30% less people. What young creative motivated person would want to work 30% harder for 30% less pay...again...maybe people in Virginia or that would relocate to Virginia are stupid enough to want to work for a company like VW. I think Michigan's young creatives are smart to want to seek employment outside of this sector.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10319
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if there is any real way to argue that it is easier to find and/or relocate young, artistic types to other regions than Detroit.

There is a reason why so many young people are leaving this region.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2476
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to sell tickets to a show where you know the performer is going to play a one-note solo, all night long.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.