Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Why we don'twant the R&R hall of fame........... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2665
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The beastie boys? Garbage; Madonna in the same esteem as Elvis Jackie Wilson et,al...Cleveland can have it

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0 ,2933,298681,00.html

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are still deserving '50s acts that aren't in the RRHOF yet. Detroit's own Jack Scott, for one.

Wenner is evidently running the Hall like it's his own personal kingdom.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rock and roll hall of fame is lameo and goes against pretty much anything rock and roll is supposed to be

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd still rather have it here as opposed to having nothing.

Fury13

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the other hand, the Ventures, Mellencamp, and Leonard Cohen probably should be there.

(I disagree with the claim that Mellencamp is a "Springsteen wanna-be." His sound is firmly rooted in the Midwest, whereas Springsteen's music screams East Coast. The man has had many, many hits.)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you all sound as though you think there's a possibility of it moving here from Cleveland...

Let it go, you guys...just let it go...

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 719
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What in the world's come over you?

Well, at least we have the Motown Hitsville. We could have a Detroit, birthplace of music museum, too.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Beasties definitely are up there. That is hard to question, IMO.

Fury13

Post Number: 2479
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No reason to move it here from Cleveland now. It's established.

But some of those choices... Chic? Donna Summer?

I agree about the Beasties. They should be there.

(Hey, nicely veiled reference to Jack Scott, Gazhekwe.)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4994
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Rush,and Dave Clark 5 should be in it too.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2883
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Beasties can be in the R&R hall of fame. They taught us to fight for our right to party. That's pretty Rock n Roll.

DONNA SUMMER?!

Well what do you want. It just some jackass's opinion. Rock N' Roll does not need to be validated by a glossy magazine and its little club. To Rolling Stone, I say:

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4647
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with Mellencamp is that, but for the exception of "Pink Houses", his music buys into the false myth of idyllic small town, blue-collar life. It's stuff of the nostalgia industry. Songs like "Small Town", "Cherry Bomb", "Jack and Diane" aren't much more then well-designed jingles for some podunk Kiwanis club. Same thing with Bob Seger. I feel a little vomit coming up every time I hear "Main Street" or "Night Moves" on the radio.

Springsteen's work goes down an opposite track. His songs are about the heartbreak, struggle, and resignation of the blue-collar industrial class. The Springsteen-Mellencamp comparisons were really unfair to Springsteen and the result of ham-and-egger types missing the bitter irony of songs like "My Hometown", "Glory Days", and of course "Born In the USA."

(Message edited by jelk on October 02, 2007)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2669
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chic should definitely be in there -- they influenced numerous people. listen to how the Clash rip em off on the magnificent 7 for example

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

bitter irony of songs like "Small Town", "Glory Days"...

"Small Town" is Mellencamp, not Springsteen. Were you perhaps referring to "My Hometown?"

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland and not Detroit. Much rather have a rock n roll scene that's around and kicking than just the artifacts of previous efforts, no matter how good or important they were.

Plus the RnR HoF is totally dictated by the record industry so anyone that sells a lot of records is going to get in. So the bar is set pretty low.

Jelk

Post Number: 4648
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds good catch. You are correct and post is corrected.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The R&R Hall of Fame belongs in Memphis. It's in Cleveland because they offered the best tax breaks. We didn't offer up enough schmooze is all.

Rb336

Post Number: 2670
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what music actually came out of cleveland?

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 467
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland and not Detroit. Much rather have a rock n roll scene that's around and kicking than just the artifacts of previous efforts, no matter how good or important they were.

So very true.

Oooh, look, Lou Reed wore a leather jacket. Besides, we have a schlocky R&R Hall of Fame...and it serves overpriced burgers.

Jelk

Post Number: 4649
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't arguing about the R&R Hall of Fame decision a little like debating whether or not the superconducting super collider should have been awarded to Michigan instead of Texas or Preston Tucker's decision to build his cars in Chicago?

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Yep, pretty much.

Dds

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I file it along the lines of musing over what a perfect Detroit would be like... cuz then the RRHOF would be here. Right next to the ski hill and the stockyards.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"what music actually came out of cleveland?"

The Michael Stanley Band!

Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10343
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone that says they would not want it here is full of it. I disagree with many of their selections but the R&R HOF brings people to Cleveland, fills hotel rooms, helps bars and restaurants stay afloat, etc.

The decisions and displays may be lacking but it brings in a lot of $$s, something Detroit and Detroit business desperately needs. To say otherwise is silly.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Jt1, the RRHOF, along with a project like Xanadu, will save Detroit kind of like loving something and setting it free will bring it back to you.

Dds

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cleveland Rocks!

A song written by someone from England dedicated to his favorite places to play concerts. In the live version, Ian Hunter substitutes Detroit for Cleveland first in his tribute to other great sites to play.

\trivia

Jt1

Post Number: 10350
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yep, Jt1, the RRHOF, along with a project like Xanadu, will save Detroit kind of like loving something and setting it free will bring it back to you.

I am having a hard time understanding this.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3403
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone that says they would not want it here is full of it. I disagree with many of their selections but the R&R HOF brings people to Cleveland, fills hotel rooms, helps bars and restaurants stay afloat, etc.

The decisions and displays may be lacking but it brings in a lot of $$s, something Detroit and Detroit business desperately needs. To say otherwise is silly.

Yeah, and Cuyahoga County taxpayers are still paying off the debt. It's cheaper to just throw money at restaurants and bars if the end game is to keep restaurants and bars open.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 - you have it right: HoF is a step in the right direction re: tourism, investment, buzz, etc.

Jelk - Mellencamp, nostalgia B.S. I say that you're wrong, but then beauty's in the eye of the beholder. If I thought that Bruce was the only relevant voice I'd suggest adding "Youngstown" to your list.

Cleveland in music... Joe Walsh, man, came from Cleveland. He could "play that rock 'n roll." Very best Cleveland reference: Stairway to Cleveland, by Jefferson Starship. Cleveland's a great rock 'n roll town, from the vantage point of the fans, and that, I believe, is the real power of the genre.

Dds

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am having a hard time understanding this.

I understand it as if we make the downtown gambling and entertainment district into the "it's better than nothing" district, we will soon be known as the Atlantic City of the Midwest.

(Message edited by dds on October 02, 2007)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bands from Cleveland area?

Pere Ubu, Nine Inch Nails, Tracy Chapman, the Pretenders, Devo, and the Dead Boys.

Just to name a few.

Jt1

Post Number: 10352
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Filter is from Cleveland as well.

Danindc

Post Number: 3405
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chimaira. Also, Eric Carmen and the Raspberries.

Fury13

Post Number: 2485
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cleveland connection to rock 'n' roll began with Alan Freed and his radio show.

People today don't understand how powerful DJs were in terms of making records and careers successful. Today, the program director has the power, but in the '50s, the DJs ran their own shows and picked their own music.

Alan Freed was the most powerful jockey of his day and was the prime mover in gettting a large, white teenage audience to embrace R&B/rock 'n' roll.

Rb336

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrissie may have been from devo-town, but the pretenders were formed in England. didn't realise Pere Ubu and NIN were from cleveland. forgot the dead boys, could give a rat's butt about Eric Carmen or tracy chapman, never heard of Chimaira.

Danindc

Post Number: 3407
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn Manson (the man, not the band)--also from Cleveland.

Alan Freed has the distinction of hosting the first rock concert, the Moondog Coronation Ball, at the old Cleveland Arena. It lasted one song before rioting broke out.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt, Cleveland has had its share of good bands, but Devo always celebrated the fact that they were from Akron. Do not think it was to dismiss Cleveland, but add to their mystic of being industrial and odd.

In any case, Cleveland was picked for the RnR HoF because it offered $65 million in public funds. Wikipedia has some interesting links on many of the questionable policies of the place--Cleveland's RnR HoF

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the folks at the RnR HoF don`t know the difference between rock music and plain old pop music.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should be in Memphis.

However, the musical tradition in Detroit is so rich, touching every genre of rock music in some way, there really needs to be a Detroit Music Museum. Hitsville, USA is nice, but it is only a part of the whole scene that has been Detroit's contribution to to American music.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Soul Music Hall of Fame should be in Detroit...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5091
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Miss

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gay Crosse and his Good Humor Six were Cleve Land based...Coltrane recorded with that band.

Citylover

Post Number: 2666
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started this thread because I am amused that the beastie boys are nominated. Yet dozens of black artists are not; including several motown people. I have heard some of the beastie boys stuff and frankly I don't get it.But I can tell you all this: their lyrics strike me as something a twelve or thirteen yr old would write while being bored in an english or history class in jr high or middle school. Of course the same could be said of lots of lyrics. So I would ask what makes the beasties diiferent and worthy? They certainly have zero vocal ability and no discernable musical talent_ why them?

The problem with a R&R HOF is that it betrays what rock n roll was. It was rebellious and it belonged to the kids. A hall of fame is practically the opposite of what rock n roll stood for.

I don't begrudge clevelamd having the hall.Fury gave the reason; the alan freed connection.But frankly I think the whole idea betrays what rock n roll is. David Bowie did not come for his award for that very reason And although at times I think that rock n roll has played out I realize it is being discovered by people (kids) all over the world.

As for Detroit I have said it before and I will say it again.Detroit has a great musical heritage and it even has a unique museum; the motown museum.But many many cities have a musical heritage equal or greater than Detroit. If so me of you can put your hometown bravado aside you might realize this. New York, New Orleans, Chicago, Kansas city , Memphis all have a greater musical history than Detroit. Los Angeles and Philadelphia can claim a great history as well. This does not mean Detroit is something less than it is, but to just acknowledge that others have contributed as well

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if it makes you guys feel any better the RRHOF Induction always have and always will be held in NYC. Apparently the city has a hard time catering to super-celebs and the less than enthusiastic desire to go to Cleveland (and lack of ultra-luxury) amenities.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has a great musical heritage and it even has a unique museum; the motown museum

The whole idea of music artifact museums seem silly to me; it's an aural medium...I don't find looking at old '45 pressings, recording contracts, etc. the least bit interesting. I've been to the Gibson and some other place (made such an impression I can't recall the name) in Nashville. Visited Sun Studios in Memphis and listened to a guy feign enthusiasm through a 30 min. scripted "tour" that involved standing there feigning interest for 10 minutes.

Seems we could pay a more subtle homage to our unique musical heritage through a Walk of Fame...Philly has one on Broad Street. It's basically a Hollywood Star for musicians- we'd have everyone from MoTown; the MC5 to the Stripes. BTW, it can still be a tourist attraction, just a slightly less obtuse one than a museum.

Rb336

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd love to see the riverwalk with sculptures of the detroit rockers and motown people. get that classic pic of iggy walking on hands at a stooges concert...

Citylover

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cool thing(oakman girl) about the motown museum is that it is essentially a step back in time.It is almost exactly as it was when motown walked out so many yrs ago.Sure there is some manipulation and arranging of artifacts but for the most part it really is how it looked.

It may be an aural medium but other factors are involved.How the studio was designed.The placement of instruments and microphones and recording eqip used are all of interest to many people. At the motown museum those things are available

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or that classic pic of Iggy cashing royalty checks from using "Lust For Life" in the Royal Caribbean cruise commercials.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and I enjoy chiming in with the liquor and drugs part of the lyric.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 482
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see your point and perhaps it's partly because I'm not a musician that my appreciation is limited. Nonetheless, I feel more connected when seeing artifacts in situ. Sun Studios is the real deal and still a recording studio. I'm not saying the Motown Museum shouldn't be around, and it is authentic, just opposed to the idea that we need the RRHOF. To play Devil's Advocate, why do we need another step back in time? Reopening Studio A (if it isn't already) is a step forward and much more a celebration of our musical heritage.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My husband and I enjoy chiming in with the liquor and drugs part of the lyric."

Best part of the song. Shit, best part of a Tuesday.

Citylover

Post Number: 2673
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown is a real recording studio as well Oakman girl.No one has recorded there in years but it is a recording studio.In fact I would guess the motown studio is more intact than the sun studio is. I don't believe it is neccesary to " step back in time" but whne it is available it is unique as in the motown studios.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 572
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleveland was also the site of the "first live rock and roll show" if i remember correctly... that was the reasoning behind the decision to have the museum there.... - andy

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 487
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown is a real recording studio

Thanks for the clarification. I still think it would be fantastic if Studio A were open for recording now. To me, the highest form of tribute would be if musicians sought to record there. Do you know why they don't? Is it to do with the Gordy Estate?

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most, if not all, of the music/musicians I like will never make it to the hall.

Agree totally about the "popularity" contest when it comes to getting in.

Motorhead, anyone?

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the privilege last Aug 9th of seeing the Beastie Boys do their first-ever performance IN geographical Brooklyn, at McCarren Pool in Williamsburg (a 10-minute walk from our apartment). Although I haven't popped a B-Boys CD into my player in years, I couldn't resist the opportunity to see them play in their home-borough.

I had very low expectations at first (considering their age), but they ended up putting on one the of the best shows I've seen in years (and I've been to hundreds of concerts, from rock to techno to rap to reggae). Their energy level was 150% from start to finish, and they haven't lost a thing with age.

They're one of the few bands out there able to do hip-hop, jazz, rock, punk & hardcore, and gain respect from fans of each genre. They deserve their place in the R&R HOF.

...and who cares if it's in Cleveland? I was dismayed and upset when it first ended up there, but it's been so long that it's really water-under-the-bridge at this point. Besides, the physical structure is rather underwhelming. It's more about the idea of the HOF than any geographical location.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Last paragraph^^
Isn't your HOF "of anything" in your own mind. Geographical locations? If I enjoyed the music of Jan & Dean, KISS, Elvis, Supremes, Clapton, Stevie Wonder and on, it's diddly squat to me who is in, who is not and where this shrine "of anything" (sports/RnR) is. I'll get there if I want to. Ice Station Zebra

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.