Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Cheap Parking Lots in Downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Big_daddy
Username: Big_daddy

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was parking for free at MGM until Monday when the structure was closed. The new one is too far away to walk. I am now back at the Fox garage for $2.00 per day. I work in the First National Building. I am open to monthly parking also. I was paying $50/month at Opera House but they raised their payments to $70. I also parked for free down on East Lafayette but too many cars were being broken into. Any suggestions BESIDES taking the bus, I know all those options, thank you.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move to downtown?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two dollars a day for parking and you're complaining? That's cheaper than taking the bus...

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3412
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a second--$2 a day is too much for parking?

Big_daddy
Username: Big_daddy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What can I say, I'm a cheap S.O.B. I admit it. MGM was free as is Greektown if I get in after 10am. with validation. I'm always looking for the angle.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10358
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitch hike to and from work.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like you are more willing to walk to your office than any person I have met in Detroit. That being said, if you don't mind walking you are not going to beat $2.00 for a garage spot. That's going to be a tough walk in January though.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 968
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$2/day parking: Detroit really needs to tear down a bunch of buildings in order to get parking costs down to a reasonable rate. :-P

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$2/day parking: Detroit really needs to tear down a bunch of buildings in order to get parking costs down to a reasonable rate. :-P

Yeah, maybe then the Canadians could afford it.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 969
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar....

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar....

I know... it was a joke...

Upinottawa

Post Number: 970
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you were joking! :-)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3732
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You just can't expect free stuff.

When you said E. Lafayette, how far out did you have to go to have non-metered parking?

The Fox probably gets you closer, and for only $2, it's probably worth it. I think it costs more to park in the lots/structures at Wayne State per day (even for students).

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laziness and Cheapness aren't a very good combination. :-l.

Why can't you just park in the First National Garage? I'm sure they give the employees some type of lax on the prices.

Expatriot
Username: Expatriot

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it makes you feel any better Bigdaddy, parking in my San Franciso office building is $36 a day. But then I bicycle to work and parking is free.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 539
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I park for free and sometimes bike a few miles to a bus for exercise. I see SMART as a recreation center as they run on time from my experience and they are nice. I can bike to a bus not far from Livonia and I'm looking forward to SMART coming back. I think that our leaders will someday learn from the mistake of building roads instead of lighted bike trails and support a balanced transportation system that serves the needs of all, if we vote and learn the facts.

Hopefully soon before more jobs leave our state and before we must again raise taxes to build more suburban schools because of people leaving the inner city and suburbs such as Livonia due to large new freeway and road expansions that make it easy to travel 50 or more miles to work.

Lots of people want the quiet country life with lakes and forests. Unfortunately, the strip malls and big box stores soon follow along with a new road lane here and there and everywhere.

It's time to vote in smart leaders that listen to the people and vote out our present stupid leaders who just want to raise taxes instead of listening to the people.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.