Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Rouge River Burning « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm helping the a wildlife biologist from the US Fish & Wildlife Service with a project on the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge.
Can anyone remember back possibly in the summer of 1966, June or July, when the Rouge River caught fire due to the pollution. I believe the area in question was the Rouge River between Fort St & Jefferson. The Cuyahogia River in Cleveland did it in 69

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4210
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that story too and would be interested in the details. When I first saw the Rouge, it was rouge - a reddish looking body of water.

The Cuyahoga fire got more press because it destroyed some bridges.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, Birwood. Great first post.

I hope you get some other responses. I heard about the fire on a video about the Rouge, but I haven’t been able to locate any facts about its occurrence via online searches. I wonder if there are old newspaper accounts on microfiche?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6645
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far there is no fire on the Rouge River. But the Cuyahoga River Fire in Cleveland, Now that was big news. I'm glad that the Clean Air Act was passed in 1971.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the Cuyahoga, not the Rouge, that caught fire. In the early 80s, people in my Rouge watershed community noted that, next to the Cuyahoga, the Rouge was the "most polluted river in America. And the Cuyahoga caught fire!"

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how accurate this is, but worth looking at -
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_ releases/2004-06/cwru-msc06170 4.php

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R.E.M penned a song about the polluted Cuyahoga and the media dubbed Cleveland "The Mistake on the Lake" after the fire.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit nerd...This incident happened in the summer of 1966 not 1980.

Case Western Reserve University in Ohio has data on the incident as well as the DFD who responded to the fire

I'm in process of obtaining the data

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 780
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From River Rouge: Ford's industrial colossus
By Joseph P. Cabadas

Talking about Ford Rouge's Powerhouse and Furnace:

After an oil slick on the Rouge River caught fire in the 60s, Ford added an "oil eating" pontoon boat that operated in a boat slip.

http://tinyurl.com/29rb4c

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fire is obliquely referenced on page 43 of the ROUGE RIVER REPORT CARD, DECEMBER 1999:

Where We Were:
For most of the 20th century, industrial activities and discharges were a major
contributing factor to environmental degradation in the Rouge River and southeast
Michigan. Most of the industries along the Rouge River used river water in their
industrial processes, as well as their sanitary sewer systems to carry away their liquid
wastes. The river was severely polluted especially in the downstream reaches, where oil
and other chemicals frequently floated on the water's surface and even caught fire.

http://www.rougeriver.com/pdfs /rougereportcard.pdf

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.