Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » More wasted money... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at the corner of the Lodge service drive and Calumet st., there is a relatively new speed radar sign, permanently attached to the pole.

This is a T-intersection, and speeding would mean that you crash off the edge and onto the Lodge. Why is this here??
http://img409.imageshack.us/im g409/1420/whyistherearadaror4. jpg

Zero common sense was used in the placement of this radar.

(sorry, if i hadn't been traveling 15 mph, i would have been able to take a better picture.)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you looks closely, you'll see the green sign above that says SCHOOL. Common sense you tell you that a school is nearby and they're trying to lessen the amount of speeding around School Zones (especially when in session). Apparently, it's you that's lacking the Common Sense.

Besides, they also have something like this on Hayes and Houston Whittier in front of old Brewer.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 03, 2007)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2426
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably not trying to catch anyone, only deter

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i realize that it's in a school zone.

the radar doesn't register until you're approximately 50 feet away, and by that time you're already stopping so that you don't fly off the road onto the freeway.

if they were going to put it there at all, why wouldn't it be clocking people on the Lodge service drive? or be somewhere further down calumet where someone might POSSIBLY be speeding? the whole stretch of calumet is about a block anyway.

i repeat, in its current place, it is a complete waste of money.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to agree with Jtw. You're stopping no matter what, school or no school, and Calumet runs a single block east of the Lodge.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign used to face down the NB Lodge Service Drive and recently got turned around. I'm sure DPW will fix it sometime in the next 2 years.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speeders are a consistent source of worry to the people who live along the NB Lodge service drive. People roar down Third, swing around what is a very blind corner at Calumet to swerve northbound and then use the leftiloo at Forest to head downtown. It's a time-honored trick.

Now, the problem is that there's a pedestrian overpass, and, on the other side of the overpass, the school for deaf children. That compounds the problem, I am sure.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.