Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Survey: Most young people would leave state if they could » Archive through October 02, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Survey: Most young people would leave state if they could

By Natasha Robinson

A survey released Tuesday shows that young adults are frustrated with Michigan and that, given the chance, most would leave the state.

Birmingham-based Brogan & Partners asked 600 adults in a telephone survey if they would leave Michigan if they had the opportunity, and 70 percent of 18-24-year-olds said they would. Sixty-two percent of Detroiters said they would leave, too.

“Our survey found a steady progression under which desire to leave the state increased as age decreased,” Marcie Brogan, CEO of Brogan & Partners, said in a news release.

“That raises serious concerns about losing many of our best and brightest. A loss of their energy and talent could haunt Michigan for a generation were it to happen.”

The survey of Michigan adults showed that 86 percent believe the state is on the wrong track, and 83 percent say the economy is worse than the nation’s.

Other survey findings:

Almost half of Michigan residents plan to spend less this holiday season, compared with 7 percent that plan to spend more.

More than 52 percent of Michigan residents say they’re postponing spending because of gas prices.

Twenty percent of Michigan’s homeowners say they’re struggling to make their mortgage payment.

The survey was completed Sept. 24-26.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of people who have left and later returned because things were not as great as they thought they would be. I wonder how many actually do return?

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm 30 and just recently moved to San Francisco from downtown Detroit. Once my wife finishes medical residency there is a small possibility we would return, mainly due to family and friends, but the longer were here the less likely the chance especially with the sinking Michigan economy.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10344
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

18-24 year olds are typically idealists and think the other place will always be better. While I think there are a lot more opportunities out of state the simple fact of the matter is that most 18-24 year olds are in a situation were they have the best opportunity to leave the state if they really wanted.

A stupid survey if you ask me.

Maybe they want to leave because our core city is sorely lacking. Its a shame that businesses like, say Brogan and Partners chose to leave the core city.

I certainly hope that survey didn't cost anyone more than 5 cents.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3321
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that we have more taxes I am sure most folks will breathe a sigh of relief and cancel their moving plans. It is a new day in Michigan! Hallelujah! The crisis is over and the folks that left will all be returning soon to partake in our bounty! Sarcasm mode turned off.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10346
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess that taxes are one of the less important things to the 18-24 crowd when considering where to live.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder about what sort of 18-24 year olds they got on a landline?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of taxes and the Michigan economy, I would like to propose a tax on pissing and a similar tax on moaning. I think we could have a surplus before midnight.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or maybe they just miss Faygo and coney dogs :-) I'll have mine shipped to me

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4172
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The major reason the Truman election poll was so inaccurate for 1948 was attributed to the pollsters randomly using only phone books from major cities for the random sample. Phones were still somewhat of a luxury back then, and using listed phone numbers meant that if one had moved, there would be a high probability of not getting included in that very nonrandom sample.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

18-24 year-olds who live in mom and dad's basement.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dorm rooms have land lines.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course 18-24 years olds want to leave. 18-24 year olds need jobs. There are very few jobs for entry level employees with the state running 7%+ unemployment.

Quit worrying about the demographics of who's leaving. There are people leaving across all demographics. All the people are leaving for one reason, The lack of sufficient work.

I've had quite a few friends leave the state. Most wanted to stay. They couldn't stay because they couldn't support themselves in this crappy economy. If you get a degree and the only place you can work with that degree is the east or west coasts of course you're going to leave.

Lets get back to the real solution to the so called brain drain. Lets cut the cost of doing business in the state to help locally grown startup companies expand.

Amiller
Username: Amiller

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the big reasons to leave for young people is the lifestyle. Cities like New York and DC have much more to offer, not to mention amazing public transportation. If Detroit had a mass transit system that served the downtown and major satellite cities like Royal Oak, Southfield, Dearborn and Grosse Pointe, people might think otherwise before leaving.

But instead we continue building cold and expansive freeways which harbor lifeless suburban subdivision and strip mall developments. We pump money into expanding roads by 1 lane at a time, while the cost to build mass transit lines is often much less.

While money spent on roads is like throwing it out the window, money spent on public transit is like doubling many times over.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Employers. Employers that are not cold, inane, soul-crushing organizations. A lot could be learned from ePrize.

Young people want purposeful jobs that can be fun too; not merely putting another cog into the machine.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as I can remember most 18-24 year olds wanted to leave their place of origin.. Yes many do and you never see them come back, but many who do leave return later on and even more never go anywhere all that far once their life progresses. Its an interesting survey I guess but I wouldnt be all doom and gloomy about it, when times are tough alot of people jump ship or express a desire to for various reasons, that goes anywhere.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What were the results of the survey 5 years ago?

You know... comparisons make data useful information.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2790
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DC and Chicago aren't the cities with Huge growth rates. The cities with the huge growth rates are the sprawl centers of the country. Places like Phoenix and Las Vegas. Both places that are overrun with the Detroit style suburbs that the car creates. All the people I know who have left went to places where they could have their similar suburban houses on 1/2 acre lots in transit-less places.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4651
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think anyone with two braincells to rub together doesn't look around Michigan once-in-awhile and wonder why he is staying in the undereducated cesspool of ignorance that is the state of Michigan.

The collective IQ may not be that much greater in other places but Michigan seems to have a culture that fosters and celebrates our ignorance. I actually ran into someone the other day, professional guy later 40s/early 50s who said he doesn't use e-mail (literally doesn't have an e-mail account) because he "doesn't believe in it." I didn't have an opportunity to ask this douche what he thought about the round earth theory. He pretty much sums up the Michigan culture.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me tell you as an 18-24 year old college educated young person...my peers are leaving and I am being invited to the going away parties. If you check on Facebook (a popular peer networking site for college kids), once people graduate from a Detroit area university, they change networks. Out of all my Facebook friends that were once Oakland University students, they are now parts of the Phoenix, Atlanta, Louisiana, Houston and Toronto networks to name a few. People my age get their education here and head out...people speak of a "brain drain" out of second world countries when we are experiencing the loss of the people that have the power to bring our economy back up with their nice paychecks and diverse skills. My husband and I have talked about leaving as well, but since we own 2 houses, the real estate market is keeping us here. That's probably why the older generations know they can't leave...they have to sell houses, whereas most people fresh out of college (unlike me) are not having to deal with selling a house in this tough market.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3404
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, don't make me laugh. I almost pissed myself.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My husband and I have talked about leaving as well, but since we own 2 houses, the real estate market is keeping us here. That's probably why the older generations know they can't leave...they have to sell houses, whereas most people fresh out of college (unlike me) are not having to deal with selling a house in this tough market.

EXACTLY! Thousands more would be gone if they could dump their houses. Me included.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first off, let me say that i grew up out of state in a relatively small town, but near a couple small cities. i found detroit to be an exponentially larger experience than that area was, and have embraced it since i came here almost a decade ago, but i also find that the more places i travel to since living here, the more i question why i stay. aside from the abundance of water, the geography sucks and the prevailing attitudes in SE michigan aren't all that inspiring. obviously the economy is of no help either. if it wasn't for my job, that i love, there wouldn't be much other than great friends and cheap rent to keep me here

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 02, 2007)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure many 18-24 year olds in many cities where they grew up want to go somewhere else.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Please, don't make me laugh. I almost pissed myself.

Again?

Danindc

Post Number: 3406
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I drank too much coffee today.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm 29 now, so I guess I'm staying. Also, about 70% of 18-24 year old kids are douchebags, so I don't care what they say they're doing. I could do with about 70% fewer douchebags.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure many 18-24 year olds in many cities where they grew up want to go somewhere else.

I don't really meet that many here in NYC...

On the flip, I don't know many who chose to stay in Michigan. I'm part of that demographic and I ran as soon as I had an opportunity to go.

DC and Chicago aren't the cities with Huge growth rates. The cities with the huge growth rates are the sprawl centers of the country. Places like Phoenix and Las Vegas. Both places that are overrun with the Detroit style suburbs that the car creates. All the people I know who have left went to places where they could have their similar suburban houses on 1/2 acre lots in transit-less places.

Chicago and DC also have pretty stable populations, unlike the sprawl centers. I'd bet that the metropolis' that the two occupy are also growing, unlike Detroit's.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, they would leave "if the had the opportunity". Well, the opportunity isn't going to leap up out of your parents' basement and throw a six-figure income at you so you can move to LA, dumbass. About 70% of the 18-24 age group are so stoned from X-Box and "The Hills" on MTV that they don't know how to make an opportunity for themselves here. Which goes back to the culture of blissful ignorance so pervasive 'round these parts.

These kids would leave if they had the opportunity, but then their parents wouldn't be there to pay the $300 cell phone bill and the payment on the Navigator, so they stay here and do landscaping at daddy's company after partying at State for 6 years to get a degree in business.

Danindc

Post Number: 3408
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago and DC have stable populations now. I know DC's population was still declining as of the 2000 Census, but seems to have levelled off.

I think for Detroit, however, the lack of population growth in the region makes it even more imperative to refocus development back on the core, and to refocus it in a manner that is truly urban. As energy prices continue to rise, and Detroit remains automobile-dependent, contraction back toward the core won't even be an option--it will be an absolute necessity for survival.