Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lager House to close? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jnot
Username: Jnot

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://jasper.webvomit.com/?p= 1314
I've been hearing a couple rumours around town that the Lager House's days are numbered. First their web site started reading "We're still open! We have not been sold! So keep on comin' up to the Lager House." Last week I heard a rumour they might be going all-jazz at the end of the year. Now, apparently it's been bought out and the new owner fired the booking staff. Tonight's the last show listed.

Can someone explain what's going on? It seems crazy to fire the booking staff at one of the most consistently packed music venues in the city.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a new owner's prerogative to go in a different direction. He may plan on fixing up the place and might want a more sedate crowd. Rock fans are notorious for trashing clubs and behaving badly... they don't treat the joints very well.

On the other hand, if the Lager House is no longer booking rock acts, another bar owner (who doesn't mind his club getting beat all to hell) would be wise to step up, take up the slack, and make some money.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2910
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've heard it's going the direction of Blues Bar. I have reason to believe the source.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool... Detroit needs a bona fide blues bar near downtown.

Jnot

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know. . . the Lager House is far enough outside of downtown that it will never get enough foot traffic to open a new blues bar. Besides, who's playing 'bona fide' blues in Detroit anymore??
Until the city really get's rolling on redevelopment in Tiger Stadium, that strip of Michigan is going to continue to be an underpopulated no-man's land.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10370
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blues fans will seek out a place with good blues.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 834
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are enough liquor licenses assigned to places in the old ballpark 'hood that you could make a hell of a nightclub district out of it. Plus it's got way-good freeway access. The old stadium in the middle is what it is, but a group of entrepreneurs could do quite a bit around there. Quite a nice possibility.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4177
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Western YMCA on Clark held their Christmas parties there--at least for the last few years before it closed some four/five years ago. It was still somewhat of a quiet neighborhood bar back then before it closed and became a club of sorts.

Obviously, my going there two/three times annually back then didn't help much pay for its expenses.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott -
Agreed. Let's see what happens with tiger stadium; i wouldn't be surprised to see that stretch of Michigan explode with night life if they could get something in there.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would be a pity to see the Lager House cease to be a rock venue, but a good blues venue would be fine and rock clubs come and go all the time. Something else will fill its spot, but I will miss that back patio.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really on the same topic and a different side of town, but I don't want to start a new thread for this..

But what's up with the space next to Stub Hub where it says "Angelina's Italian Grill - Coming Soon"?

How long has the sign been there for and does anyone have any background on it?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've heard these rumors for a while. but didn't notice that this was the last show. not a bad last show, though. Mountains and Rainbows are pretty good.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll miss that place, too, but I think it's a good thing to mix up the musical genre offerings in that part of town. The place wasn't making much $ despite some stellar booking (opening late and selling $1 Pabst didn't help), and the condition of the upstairs apartments apparently calls for a considerable amount of rehab expense. So naturally the new owner wants a place that will make more money, and whose business will finance the improvements to the building. Blues will attract an older crowd with spending ability that presumably far exceeds that of the typical hipster showgoer who can barely afford 2 beers.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right on Treelock. Spent many nights coolin' out on the patio between bands. I would hate to lose this place.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expect to see improvements at the Lager House in the next few months, the name will be the same and the general concept will be the same also.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"hipster showgoer who can barely afford 2 beers."

Because we all know Hipsters don't have jobs. They couldn't possibly be gainfully employed.

Webvomit
Username: Webvomit

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon48202,
I'd like to think you're right but folks don't book properly in this city. Rich and Jay did an outstanding job. Granted, it mostly went ignored and unappreciated, but if they end up somewhere else, the talent they were able to spot and book will end up there as well.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Webvomit, what is the proper way of booking? You should contribute yourself.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, Sharmaal, some of them are gainfully employed. But then they spend it all on clothing and blow.

Webvomit
Username: Webvomit

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj, who says I don't?

I didn't show up here to criticize or instigate. I've got my own space for that. I just wanted to give credit to two guys who did an incredible job getting nationally touring acts / up-and coming artists into a city notorious for lame crowds and apathy.

I'll leave you all alone now. I just remembered why I don't post here regularly.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What space do you run? I am curious. I just hate when people sit on the side lines and criticize and think they can do better than the people in the game, not say that is you.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gdub hits the nail on the head

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"a city notorious for lame crowds and apathy. "

Are we talking about the same city here?

During the garage rock resurgence some years back, the scene was awesome. Because there were great bands! If you have great bands, the people will come see them. The Lager House fit its role perfectly. It was difficult to get a show there if nobody had heard of you. You could start out at the Old Miami or 2500 Club (blech), then move up to The Belmont or maybe get a show on an off day at the Magic Stick or Alvin's playing a short set with other new bands. Small's was easier to get a show at than the Lager House. Playing the Lager House meant something. The only place to go from there was a weekend night at the Stick. And if you could conquer that room, you pretty much had graduated from being an underground Detroit band.

Detroit audiences lame and apathetic? More likely they've heard it all before, and you need something a little better for them to care.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 462
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unfortunately, it is pretty clear to most observers, inside and out, that the Detroit scene has fizzled considerably from its peak of four or five years ago.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2952
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is. But I blame it on the lack of a cohesive scene. There will be another, as there always has been. Just need another wave of great bands in the area.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you could also blame it, in part, on the exodus of a lot of folks out of Detroit.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2955
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could, except when you walked into a packed Magic Stick to see the Von Bondies six years ago, how many of those kids were actually from Detroit?

Jnot

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

most recent buzz-
they're staying open for another three weeks, but it's open booking. just call up the bar, bring a supporting act and you have the honor of playing one of the final shows at the lager house.
sad sendoff for such an important spot

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think overall this will be a good thing. I know the guy that bought it (assuming someone else didn't come in at the last minute), he lives in the city and cares about doing something that will be an asset to the neighborhood. In other words, a place that will actually be open during regular hours if you want to have a beer or a sandwich, in addition to having live music. From what I've seen, the Lager House was lately only open sporadically, for live shows.

I do understand the loss of the booking team is a big deal, though, which will totally change its character as a rock venue. (having been in a band myself...)

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "scene" not only in Detroit, but all throughout the country is made up of far too many bands who aren't good enough to warrant a packed, happy show. There is some great stuff, but a lot of it is marginal and held together by music freaks endlessly looking for the next big, artsy things.

Lets face it, the era of the music store employee being the rock star is over.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well put Vas. There is nothing quite so unstable as the music scene in any city. You have to be constantly reinventing yourself. That's why we've had great eras where you could run yourself ragged trying to see all the great acts all over town, in lots of different genres, and we've had eras where you might as well just stay home.

Karaoke is a big buzz-kill because it collapsed the number of places who were willing to pay for decent, live entertainment. Why pay a band when you can pay some guy with a video monitor and a CD cart and then your patrons can listen to some drunk asshole ripping apart "American Pie"? And people will come and listen! This is a very sad trend all over the place. If we were going to import some piece of Japanese culture, why in God's name did it have to be that?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4201
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the music available electronically on all sorts of media, why pay dearly to hear it at a club? Must be some kind of herd mentality. But again, some sex might be involved afterwards.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 574
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VAS, there are thousands upon thousands of bands... there are now, and there have been for decades... some suck, some are amazing. nothing has changed... there will always be independent artists and music enthusiasts who follow them.

Livernois, the reason to go to the club is two fold. first it's a place to see all your friends like you would at the bar. no one wants to host 200 people at their house. plus, it's a change of scenery.

Second, music always sounds different at a live show. sometimes better, sometimes worse, most of the time better. this is especially true for punk or garage acts who add a visceral energy when playing live that is NEVER done justice on record.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was posted on Myspace:

NO! For the umpteenth time, NO! The Lager House may, in the next few weeks, be transferring ownership. But, nothing about The Lager House will change. It's still going to be the same shit hole you love going to. The bathrooms may see some renovation, thank god. But, other than that there will be very few changes. Yes, it's true. Rich and Jay are no longer booking shows at the Lager House. They're just burnt out and need a break. Rich did an awesome job for six years, but now he's moving on. So, if you're looking to book a show, send a message on myspace, mail your shit into the Lager, Attn: Aaron @ 1254 Michigan Ave., Detroit, MI 48226 or e-mail your information to adrianne@lagerhousedetroit.com. We're still booking bands, we just have a little gap due to the changeover in booking. So, wipe your tears you fucking morons and come up for a drink. Since we don't have bands right now, it's a perfect time for you to bring up your ipod, plug it into that monstrosity of a tuner, jam out to YOUR favorite music and drink, drink, drink. Aaron's working tonight so come up and buy him a shot. Don't give him crap about the bar "closing" cuz now you know what's really going on. Just shut up and drink!

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard,

Music, like poetry is best experienced live. You have to feel it as well as hear it. There is also the element of the show that was so important to many artists (Frank Zappa etc). Sometimes, some of the herd gets it.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4208
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's also more fun doing it instead of merely spectating.

I'd like to get back into jamming via banjo again in the future, though. [Got free drinks doing that.] For starters, gotta replace the old five-string and take the time...

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on October 06, 2007)

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071009/ENT01 /710090398/1033

Good news.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2986
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lets face it, the era of the music store employee being the rock star is over."

Crap, don't tell Brendan Benson.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Crap, don't tell Brendan Benson."

Or the Electric Six

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd tell Brendan Benson.. but he moved to Nashville. I don't think he'll be back to play the Lager House again anytime soon. I doubt we'll ever see him again.. period.

Any thoughts to why so many people get angry when local favorites move out of the D?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2991
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever seen the old video clip of the Liverpool girl crying because The Beatles didn't belong to Liverpool and the Cavern Club anymore?

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Johnlodge. Exactly.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the Rock n Roll Indian and Serge Joebot Saturday night. I thanked them for the good times and said I was a big fan.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.