Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lafayette Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse the naivete, but i'm fairly new to the detroit area and stare at this building daily. what's the deal with it? someone's gotta be all over renovating this one just for it's proximity to the book cadillac, no?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2791
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city owns the building. It was put out for RFP (Request for proposals) a couple of years ago. The winner of the RFP was unable to negotiate a development agreement with the city. I expect it to go back out for a second RFP in the near future.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a tentative deal w/ a company called Peebles to renovate it into apartments, but an issue arose over parking...

apparently the idea was floated to dig an underground tunnel over to BC garage like Kales did w/ GCP, but the massive utility infastructure under Michigan Ave. prevented this...

Next the city and developer couldn't agree on who would pay for the costs associated with building a parking structure or tunnel...

So Peebles backed out...

It seems the city is waiting for the BC and Griswold to be finished before pitching it to another developer...it's possible they think they will get a better deal once the area improves

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the info. i'll be keeping an eye on it.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2792
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The issue wasn't really about parking. Their original proposal included parking in the building.

The issue was the developer wanted more cash/perks from the city than the city was willing to give up. They also wanted preferential treatment when it came to the three riverfront RFP's that went out. When they didn't get any of the three riverfront parcels they kept spinning up the things they wanted for the Lafayette building.

The city threw them out when peebles wouldn't even come close to doing what they said they would do in their original proposal.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im really excited for what Washington Ave. will become in the next 2 years. Its got potential to be such a classy upscale area. My grandmother used to work at Saks and she has great stories about the grandeur of Washington Ave.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if Washington Boulevard will become "upscale" again. However, it does have potential to blow up once the Book-Cadillac is done, Retail opens along it, and someone occupies the Statler/Tuller Site. Only building that will need to be occupied next is the Book Tower and Washington Blvd. will be on point. I'm not worried about the Whitney building as it's already a very demanding and valuable building.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 03, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10375
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would suck if Wshington Blvd blew up. All of the new work being done there would be ruined. I hope that nobody gets hrt if it happens.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, you taking my sentence about Washington Blvd. blowing up literally made me LMAO. I meant it could very well bloom nicely if everyting comes into play.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10376
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whne I'm not busy being a jerk I like to bring a little levity to the place.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm not worried about the Whitney building as it's already a very demanding and valuable building.

I hate demanding buildings. I bet the Dispatch writer is demanding too. I don't like her either.

Wouldn't it be funny if Amy Saunders demanded a valuable building. We could give her the Whitney. Karma is a bitch.

(Message edited by dabirch on October 03, 2007)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5098
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lmao Dabirch...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I'm just love how literal the people on this site are. Please, keep it up!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.