Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ohio sucks... aka AmySaunders is Satan. » Archive through October 03, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Columbus Dispatch: Refugee from Detroit loves our city

Refugee from Detroit loves our city
Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:41 AM
By Amy Saunders

You think your Downtown is pathetic because its Macy's is leaving?

You've clearly never been to Detroit, the city I called home before moving in the summer to Columbus.

Detroit would kill to have a mall that had 19 stores. The closest it comes to retail is a series of wig shops.

True, Detroit has some entertainment options: recently built stadiums for the Tigers and Lions, a few theaters, a couple of museums.

But I'm pretty sure it has more wig shops.

I can't be proud of, say, the Motown era, because I wasn't alive then. And I can't be proud of anything Detroit has accomplished recently, because it's ultimately insignificant. Detroit is never going to be a nice city again. It hasn't recovered from the 1967 riots.

asaunders@dispatch.com

===============

So who's up for a roadtrip to Columbus to find this "Amy Saunders" and give her a piece of our mind?

Let me be CRYSTAL CLEAR here:
ANYONE who thinks that ANYTHING in Ohio is better than ANYTHING in Michigan, let alone Detroit, needs to go get a CAT SCAN IMMEDIATELY... BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT ONLY WRONG, BUT THEY HAVE SOME KIND OF MAJOR BRAIN DAMAGE THAT NEEDS TO BE REMEDIED ASAP.

Let's tell her what we think. Send Amy an e-mail and tell her what's on your mind.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3417
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fight overgeneralizing with more overgeneralizing! Throw in some stereotypes, and you're all set!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3739
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck her. Fuck Columbus. Fuck Ohio.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah!! Columbus road trip!! cool. Are we going to go to Amy's house? Should probably Mapquest it.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 461
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe-actually i think Columbus is a pretty nice town.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 474
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clearly, Amy hasn't heard of the Xanadu Development; that'll show her....

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 797
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh god. Columbus is actually a decent city, not incredibly urban but not to bad. Let's stoop to Amy's level and bash Columbus baselessly.

Truth is, Columbus excels in areas where Detroit fails, and Detroit excels in some areas where Columbus fails.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe-actually i think Columbus is a pretty nice town.

It's just afflicted with that little parasite called Ohio State.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10371
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

POintless to really care but if you read the article she is obviously not from Detroit but lived outside of Detroit and has very little insight into what she is talking about;

quote:

The closest it comes to retail is a series of wig shops.

Typical assumption and funny that she points out the stereotypical wigshop. The city equivalent of the tanning place in the burbs.

quote:

Detroit doesn't need more parking. For games, my family parks at a school with a barbed-wire fence. It's an easy walk to the stadiums -- which is important because people don't walk around in Detroit.

What school is she talking about. Seems a little exaggerated or made up.

quote:

People are also afraid to drive there. Or at least I was nervous the one time I did, when I took my roommates from Miami University to a musical.

Yes, she drove in Detroit once. She certainly is an expert with her one trip. Yep, she drove in the city once. She really seems to fit every stereotype that is wrong with SE Michigan.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wrote a scathing reply calling out hat she was an obvious suburbanite with little or no experience. If we want to make generalizations just look at her photo,it cries "OMG there no mall here no way!"

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LET'S GET HER!

I did eat at a very good mexican restaurant/tequila joint in the short north area....called Rojo Tequilaria or something to that effect.

We should stop there to eat and/or drink while in Columbus. Someone should also check the BlueJackets schedule.

Jt1

Post Number: 10373
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion regardless of how infomed that person is.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for a college town and state capital, at least last time i was there (admitdly more than a decade ago), there was precious little to do. I don't find much to recommend it, but it is probably not a bad place to live. i just can't support a city that gives their hockey team a totally lame name like "blue jackets"

i'm willing to bet she was some suburbanite from troy or something

(Message edited by rb336 on October 03, 2007)

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Infomed" is right! I'm infoming at the mouth! Amy Saunders is going to be on the receiving end of quite the letter writing campaign.

Jt1

Post Number: 10374
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone really think she cares about e-mails that are sent to her about a stupid little article?

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 684
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Columbus is quite a nice town. But she didn't have to bash Detroit like that.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3740
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did my part.

I love how she claims to be from Detroit yet blows her cover when she says that she's driven there once.

She is also a horrendous writer. She would probably not be welcome on my low-budget student newspaper. Guess that's why she's in Columbus.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5097
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Columbus to me is a big ass suburb. No wonder she likes it as much as she does...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is also a horrendous writer. She would probably not be welcome on my low-budget student newspaper. Guess that's why she's in Columbus.

Do you write for the Michigan Daily?

Her name sounds familiar... Maybe she wrote for the Detroit News before? lol.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3741
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha no, Iheart. The Daily is anything but low budget.

D_stylin, I get the same idea about Columbus.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 952
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares what some hack from Columbus thinks? I say don't even waste your time writing this asshole

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2886
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

freeway sniper...

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit would kill to have a mall that had 19 stores

how many retal stores do we have on our main drag woodward

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3742
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, oh my gosh, she's seen Fiona Apple in concert! That's so uniquely Columbus. People like that never come to Detroit.

She's lives 1.35 miles from her downtown office. WOW!
The more you read it the more immature her words sound.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 911
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An amazingly petty and unprofessional cheap shot. Ms. Saunders' editors are just as responsible for the piece as is she. Given her dearth of experience (recent Miami U. grad I think) in "business" journalism (or any journalism for that matter) in that her bylines are limited primarily to fluff pieces that are mere take-offs on press releases received at her editor's desk, facile Detroit bashings might be expected from her. But one should be able to expect more from a purported major paper like the Columbus Dispatch. Even a lazy editor who might approve such a story should realize the inability of someone with Ms. Saunders' limited Detroit knowledge to credibly write such a piece.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you giving this Buckeye fan any thought? All she did was drive through Detroit once and made hugely false assumptions just to either get people highly upset or make herself look better.

I do agree with one thing in this blog, OHIO SUCKS!

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 03, 2007)

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 618
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit would kill to have a mall that had 19 stores. The closest it comes to retail is a series of wig shops."

I know Detroiters have killed for a lot less. Whom does one have to kill to get a 19 store mall?

Though she's blissfully clueless and sheltered, she is kind of hot...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2514
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really think that a tornado sculpture in downtown Detroit would counteract all this negativity. It would show those Ohioans! Yeah!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it won't be too off point Fury13. We are in the Tornado Alley of Canada. Should be a decent tourist trap.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13,

So many things she overlooked...we know how to take care of our carjackers; nature inspired architecture, a plethora of parking, to name a few others.