Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What Detroityes projects have come to fruition? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always see threads of people asking for info for a project they are working on only to never hear from that person or project again. What are some projects that have come to fruition that were previewed on this site. I can think of a few cases where we had privileged early information, but I'd like to see all of the projects listed that have come full circle. What ever happened with that guy who was writing a book set in Detroit? What other projects that have happened had early roots on this site?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vinton Building restoration. That should be getting closer to completion.

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Historic Fort Wayne Coalition frequently updates this site after each of it's monthly work days.

As of now, members from the DetroitYES forum have contributed almost, if not more than, 100 volunteer manhours.

Look back on previous posts and you'll also see photos included showing the GREAT work of the DY forumers!

If by full circle you mean "project 100% complete", unfortunately, I cannot report that about Historic Fort Wayne. I can report that the window sash restoration in the Quartermaster shop is approx 80% completed, if that helps.

Each workday we have had has been FULL of achieved goals, however small. Each workday the achieved goals are becoming more and more significant and greater in visibility.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still no Cheesecake factory in the CBD

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^LOL
no waffle house either..

Spitty

Post Number: 620
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't necessarily mean 100% complete, just going from ideas into actual concrete results. The Fort Wayne goings on are definitely encouraging. I actually worked beside on forumer on a Saturday there on a set of porch stairs, but was unable to continue going due to overtime at work. I remember there was also a big discussion on fixing up Capital Park and I just wonder what happens to all of these projects that we hear about. I also remember hearing about Mezzanine moving here before it actually happened, and I think I heard about Canine to Five before it became a reality. These are just a few examples.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 837
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now there's an idea. We travel in the south, love the Waffle House. Two hundred songs on the jukebox, of which forty are songs about Waffle House. I'd like my hash browns scattered, chunked and topped.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the closest one I know of is off one of the Lima, Ohio exits of I-75. Detroit could use some nice breakfast dives. I can't eat coneys at six in the morning.

Professorscott

Post Number: 838
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spitty, Capitol Park isn't going to get fixed up, Capitol Park is going to be replaced (as a transit center). Once that happens, Capitol Park is going to revert to being a small downtown green space, and I don't know of any specific plans for it once the buses move to the west.

Spitty

Post Number: 621
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? That made barely any sense. Wouldn't reverting it to a green space be fixing it up? It's pretty sad right now. It's already a transit center. There weren't specific plans for you to hear of, which is why some forumers were trying to start their own group to spruce it up. I was just wondering what ever became of that group or if they were able to accomplish some of the things they were discussing.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was someone here that was restoring a duplex in Woodbridge. They even had a blog going, but it seems to have went dormant about 4 months ago. Would love to see how that one turned out, as it looked great!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit could use some nice breakfast dives.

I don't mean to thread-jack, but are you serious? I can think of a bunch right off the top of my head. And as far as eating coneys at six, please realize, most of the coney places serve a mean greasy breakfast.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're still working on the duplex, nearing completion--and hopefully will update the blog--someday. The house next door is going into foreclosure if any Detroityes'ers are interested in a project (not a total rehab, but a big project anyway) let me know and I'll keep you up to date on the progress.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professor Scott try Detroit Breakfast House and Grill on Woodward, Mr. mackcreative enjoys the pullman loaf.

Professorscott

Post Number: 839
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds,

Since Capitol Park came up - that is a place I very often have to spend part of my morning because I am waiting for a bus. So are dozens and dozens of other people, all day. The only two places I know of to eat within walking distance are coneys, neither one of which serves any kind of breakfast food.

I would submit, if there isn't any place to get breakfast near the downtown transit center, there are probably lots of areas out in the neighborhoods with the same problem.

I know there are some places in the City with breakfast, they just aren't where I need them to be. Wood/Mack is too much out of the way (though it sounds like a good place), for instance.

Prof. Scott

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5109
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proffessor with you being in CP then the closest non coney spot you have is the Detroit Breakfast House (i think) and Grill on Woodward between State and Grand River...

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2731
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm getting grand marnier french toast at butcher's inn. yummm

i'll throw in the dequindre cut project -- at least it has started

(Message edited by rb336 on October 04, 2007)

Professorscott

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks stylin, that's walking distance. Good to know.

Still wouldn't mind seeing a Waffle House though :-)

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FSC!

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 903
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Since Capitol Park came up - that is a place I very often have to spend part of my morning because I am waiting for a bus. So are dozens and dozens of other people, all day. The only two places I know of to eat within walking distance are coneys, neither one of which serves any kind of breakfast food.

In addition to the Detroit Breakfast House, you will find a full breakfast menu at these downtown restaurants:

-Plaka Cafe, on Monroe in Greektown
-The Ham Shoppe, on St. Antoine in Greektown
-Ted's/Baltimore Lunch, on Randolph near Monroe
-Woodward Coney Island, on Woodward near CMP
-Motown Cafe Grille, on Cadillac Square and Bates

Of course, this is not a comprehensive list, but it should give you something to start with.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott, Lucy and Ethel's is right around the corner. They serve breakfast.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't bet on a Waffle House. They don't have any locations North of I-80 (excluding Toledo which is along I-80) and don't seem to be expanding north of I-80 anytime soon. I wouldn't bet on a Cheesecake Factory either as I believe the owners have something deep against Detroit.

However, At least we're getting prime Retail within City Limits. Hopefully, A Whole Foods or Something will open at * Mile and Woodward as well.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

waffle house would be ideal
minimal space needed for one
they also give fantastic benefits
the dude over the grill at my local waffle house in greenville, sc even smokes over the grill
great bennies and u can burn one on the job
why am i still in school???

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.