Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » It's not easy being green in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Desiree Cooper brings up a lot of good points in her column today about the importance of being more environmentally aware in Detroit. The one I most agree with is this:

quote:

For most of my life, I've felt like many metro Detroiters. With high crime, a fragile economy, and poor public education, we have more critical things than the environment to worry about. Environmentalism, I thought, is the purview of young, childless liberals, who don't have to think about life without Pampers or minivans.

But now I know I was being shortsighted. Detroiters, of all people, ought to know the importance of environmentalism. Because of poor air quality, metro Detroiters --including our children -- are suffering from high rates of asthma and other environment-related diseases. Our beautiful lakes are polluted. And, our economy wouldn't be so fragile if auto manufacturers had been leading the way toward environmentally friendly technology.

It's hard to live green in Detroit
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071004/COL 03/710040346/1007/

Many other major cities, such as Chicago or Minneapolis, have made the decision to make being more environmentally responsible a core service to improve their quality of life. Why not Detroit?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 586
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the coops in Lafayette Park installed a geothermal heating system for all of their townhouses several years ago.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Which Co-op?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there was all of the EPA brownfield laws that were enacted in the 70s. These insured that as industry left the city industrial corridors like Glendale, Lyndon, Intervale would just become unusable tracts of land that no one would be willing to remediate. Thanks a lot!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me tell you...it was not easy being Greene in Detroit either!

But seriously...give it time - all good things in time. it's all about having the right people in high places; today's young folk will make things right in the near future.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 587
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E Hemingway, the Lafayette Coop (Mies van der Rohe, architect) on the north side of Nicolet.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me assure you that the EPA brownfield laws had little to do with the exodus of business out of Detroit.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 600
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may not be easy to be green but there are plenty of project that are happening and many who are trying.
www.warmtraining.com

http://www.glbconference.org/

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070919/LIFES TYLE04/709190391/1041

they have built energy efficient housing since 2005
http://www.bagleyhousing.com/

I believe edmund place also has geothermal.
There are many others but this is a good start.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.