Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ohio sucks... aka AmySaunders is Satan. » Archive through October 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're right Spitty. She is kind of hot. And we all know Miami of O girls like to par-tay.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how you could possibly argue with someone who has "pretty toes".

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 912
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To anyone who can't resist and is thinking about firing off either an email to Ms. Saunders or a letter to the editor, please keep the defensive whining to a minimum. Detroit doesn't have to prove anything to the Columbus Dispatch or its readers. We like our wig shops just fine, thank you, and we wish Columbus well in its efforts to revitalize all that empty City Center retail space.

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strongly worded email just sent. What a moron.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I told her she was an ignoramus, and that we have well over 200 bars, restaurants and entertainment establishments within walking distance in our CBD.

I also mentioned that I think we hooked up once at a party in Oxford.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Her name sounds familiar... Maybe she wrote for the Detroit News before? lol.

She's a recent college grad, and this is her first article. Off to a great start, she is!

quote:

Ms. Saunders' editors are just as responsible for the piece as is she.

Amen. Who publishes an article like this? "Columbus is not Detroit so therefore it must be good." Sounds like a great idea for an editorial!

quote:

I also mentioned that I think we hooked up once at a party in Oxford.

Doh!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, a mall with 19 stores, an applebee's and all the mulleted tattoo'd sub 70 IQ rednecks anyone can handle... pure heaven.

And Amy didn't mention when she wants to take a drive she heads east it's farmland, head west more farmland, umm same thing up north, she probably just eats at Applebees when she wants to "get away"

What a zero.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just another trashy Michigan transplant moving on in life to go trash some other place. Folks, let's be happy she's gone and is infesting some other place. The more people like her that we can get rid of, the better. I actually feel bad for Columbus.

Just go on over to the freep forums. They're everywhere and they're here to fight to bring Detroit and this state down as far as they can!

And for the record, I like Ohio.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3416
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can Google "Amy Saunders" + Dispatch to find some of her other articles. There's another Amy Saunders who is billed as "the last of the female sword swallowers." (Not sure what kind of smiley face goes here. Picture a crooked, puzzled grimace.)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 893
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's a nice looking chick.
Got a face for television.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to Amy on her new position. It's always nice to see a local gal succeed. She's got a casual, readable style and she'll do well.

Big ups to Columbus as well. I've had a great time every trip there.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Sarah Kline redux.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4999
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, is she hot or is she a fat girl?

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2625
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit inferiority complex really comes out on a thread like this. If you were a New Yorker and and some uninformed young'un from Ohio said stuff about NYC would you get the vapors like some on this thread have? No, you'd say "f that stupid b" and resume thinking about the Mets. Here we get all upset that someone called our baby "ugly". Time to grow up.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spot on, Track.

We still need that big tornado sculpture, though.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

moronic...

I actually lived in Detroit proper for 18 years and have never been afraid to drive anywhere in the city.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 755
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is Sarah Kline redux

Isn't that the chick who wrote for Metrotimes and had some "Too Bad Detroit, but I'm moving on" kind of article before she moved to someplace like the west coast?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one look at it COMPLETELY differently.
My opinion is that most of you are overly defensive and in denial. Detroit has a lot of work to do. Yet when anyone criticizes it, the attitude is to shoot the messenger, not use the criticism as a tool for determining HOW we need to improve. I do believe the city is lacking many amenities. I also think her final comment was profound. She is yet to see burned buildings.The sad thing is, she had a reason to mention that. So many buildings are left abandoned in this town and many, if not most, go up in flames.This is an embarrassment and shows apathy.People are destroying their city.They let buildings decay left and right and then others come and torch them.shameful. Overall shes giving us input on how to bring the city back, but people would rather shun her than listen.
2) She's writing an article in a columbus paper putting columbus on a pedestal. Shes trying to pump up her readers by making them feel special and proud and letting them know she may not be a native, but she really does respect the city. Not all that different from the people on here knocking ohio to boost Detroit.
And hey, Ive been to Dayton twice.It has bad areas like most big cities, but the downtown area seems to offer a lot more, for a wider variety of tastes. I was actually kind of impressed with it.Now, my interest is piqued to see columbus. Sure, Ohio is kind of a "ghetto state" (as 1 person i met called it), but Michigan isn't much better. Many of our urban areas (Battle Creek, Jackson, Flint) aren't much (If any) better than Ohio's.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3745
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln, you can't just look at this in that way. Detroit totally has a lot of work to do. It does not stack up well against too many other cities. Columbus could be Manhattan, but that still does not justify her gross misrepresentations, poor argumentation, and the editors' attitude that it's okay to put crappy writing on their pages if it bashes Michigan/Detroit.

Well-reasoned literature that criticizes Detroit does not fire me up. Bullshit arguments (or columns with no real argument, just immature, uninformed ranting) do piss me off

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10657
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bet is they park at Gratiot and Antietam...that Entrepreneur's building, the old Doctor's professional group building, looks like a sub-suburban school.

The barbed wire is next door, though...both are on the I-375 service drive north of Lafayette...and popular with the tailgaters.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW. don't let opinions get the best of you guys.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3746
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just a dangerous thing, though, Lefty. Your average Joe in Columbus, who probably doesn't take a liking to anything in Michigan anyway, may have heard that some things are getting better in Detroit, and it's really not that bad. Then he sees the cute columnist in his daily Dispatch who's "from Detroit" talk about what a wretched place Detroit is, and boom, Detroit takes several steps backwards in his mind and the minds of whatever unquestioning victims read this.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its pretty clear she's bunk.
First off, she is probably misrepresenting herself. It is highly doubtful that she's from the city proper. I'm not saying that because she's white, but instead of offering anecdotal evidence of her old neighborhood or school or what have you, she talks about how she's been downtown a couple times. Her refugee status is rather meaningless coming from a region where the divide between city and suburb is so profound. The only thing I can fathom we have in common are Coney Islands and auto jobs.
She's just taking cheap shots at the City of Detroit to boost Columbus. One thing I can say about this board, at least we all don't sit around and say, "things are great. At least we're not Gary, Indiana." Hopefully Garyites don't sit around bashing Johannesburg or something. What a cop out, lady. Why did Macy's leave anyway? Work on that.
Finally, the criticism isn't constructive. We know all this. Thank you. Everyone from the stupidest city council member to Joe Sixpack sitting on his porch in Warrendale knows what the city looks like, how we lack retail, how there are burned out buildings. We're working on it.
Has Columbus had the racial upheaval and divide and destruction Detroit has? Has it had the exodus of its one core industry?
I don't want to stoop to her level, but I'm willing to bet our art museum and symphony are better than that of Columbus. The list could probably go on.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She probably never lived in detroit proper as stated. But since we are on the wig shop topic, what the hell is "YAKI PERM" ????

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living well is the best revenge my friends.
Live it up, worrying about petty columnists just detracts from becoming the best you can.
Even thought she/he is wrong

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4200
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My most unpleasant experience happened when a homeless man in Goodale Park told me I had pretty toes."

WAIT A MINUTE AMY.

They got homeless people in Columbus?

Get out now Amy!

Run Amy Run!

Get your pretty little toes out the C before THEY get you.

I love our rivalry with Columbus and OSU and I think it is unfair to tar that great city just because some newbie journalist took 'refuge' there. Afterall, it is not Columbus' fault she went there.

I agree with others; this is the editors' fault. The only thing I can imagine is that some snickering old UM-hater let run her mouth to demonstrate just how ignerunt them folk who come here from Michigan are.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi all!

Columbus is a nice town but Amy certainly was out of line bashing detroit while its down.

I have faith in the "D" for a huge comeback sometime soon.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 471
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are the 70% of people ages 18-24 who would leave if they had the opportunity...and we don't miss them!

I echo the sentiment that emails to her only validate her blatant attempt at attention whoring, and that the focus of any anger should be squarely on the editors who think this sort of writing deserves space in their paper. If that's all it takes to earn a paycheck from the Dispatch, then sign me up!

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
Isn't that the chick who wrote for Metrotimes and had some "Too Bad Detroit, but I'm moving on" kind of article before she moved to someplace like the west coast?

Ex-journalist Sarah Klein / SparklyDevil is alive & well in San Francisco, still doing her strip tease / glam act and as best as I can tell, is predictably fitting into the overpopulated, gentrified culture out here... in other words, not making much of a distinctive splash at all.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2913
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum nostyle.