Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Business as usual: Council questions 90-year land lease to state for an urban park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Development of the Tri-Centennial State Park -- the state's first urban park -- along with $3.5 million in grant money may be at risk after several City Council members said Thursday they need more time to scrutinize a proposed lease with the state.

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071005/M ETRO/710050399/1409

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10395
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is reviewing a contract 'business as usual'. I don't often agree with CC but they are correct in this situation.

This is an important question:

quote:

Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers questioned how the state will even be able to afford the up to $50 million it will take to develop the whole park. The bulk of the funding hasn't been allocated, the DNR's Anthes said. She said her department couldn't ask for the money until it has the lease.

The State is stating they will spend $50 MM to develop the park in this current budget. I think that skepticism is appropiate given the how reliable the state is in their promises.

When it comes to promises to the city by the state I think that being a skeptic is fair.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is reviewing a contract 'business as usual'.

Probably because it's their job...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5467
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I agree. There should be a "opt out" of the lease by the city if the promised development doesn't happen... say within the few years.

Jt1

Post Number: 10396
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheart - I inferred that the 'business as usual' comment had negative connotations behind it. It is their job but to imply (assuming my inference is correct) that they are being difficult simply is not true in this case.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheart - I inferred that the 'business as usual' comment had negative connotations behind it. It is their job but to imply (assuming my inference is correct) that they are being difficult simply is not true in this case.

I know. I was in agreement with you. I was just stating the obvious for the original poster...

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 914
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lease is certain to have language in it that ensures that park redevelopment occurs. That's not what's holding things up at CC. The true reason is found in concerns over the "value" of the property. In other words, some councilmembers want to see the city get "paid" for this land because it a "jewel" that should not be given away to "outsiders." As if a $50 million state park (that resulted from years of professional studies and planning) along with its spin off benefits will do nothing for Detroit. No doubt that some of the councilmembers will try to wring out some kind of additional consideration from the state. At a minimum, the usual CC pandering will result in something like a demand that all of the TriCentennial Park facilities and services be provided for free to Detroiters.

The park plan is a good one. It's a necessary step in the transformation of the East Riverfront. I hope the CC can resist becoming an obstacle to important progress.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like it's a good idea. What was the delay in getting the proposal to CC? It seems that Mayor Kilpatrick has done this on more than one occasion, where he sends over a bill and expects it to be passed fairly swiftly.

On the face of it, it sounds as though CC may have some legitimate concerns, but not if Swinglines statements are correct. This land should not be "sold" if it is going to benefit the entire region. But there should be safeguards to ensure that the development by the state does occur.

Also, I would prefer to see the development of the riverfront along the same lines as Baltimore's Harbor Front. I love that place. Nightlife, restaurants, museums (if you would define a Discovery Zone as a museum). Fun place to hang out.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 314
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The State is stating they will spend $50 MM to develop the park in this current budget.

State Parks don't receive any taxpayer funding so the current budget doesn't directly affect them. (Overall the DNR does receive some taxpayer funding fire fighting, law enforcement, and to pay local taxes. Some programs that benefit state parks are under attack.) Last year's ballot proposal A locked up most of the DNR funding to prevent it from being raided.

Anyway, there are many sources of funding for parks development in Michigan outside of budgets. The biggest is the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund. Lessor funds include the Recreational Trails Program, Recreation Improvement Fund, the Waterways Fund (which covered the park's marina upgrades), various federal grant programs, etc. There's also foundation and corporate funding available.

Also, one a related note, many DNR planners recently spent time in Chicago (on their own dime) as guests of the Millenium Park folks -- their major river park. In speaking with one DNR planner, they were quite impressed. http://www.millenniumpark.org/

Jt1

Post Number: 10401
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Appreciate the clarification.

Do you know if the money is already allocated. I am always skeptical about 'promised' money that is not budgeted and committed.

I hope CC moves this along as it has great potential but I do not have issues with them making sure that we are doing what is best for the city (which they usually don;t) and reviewing the agreement.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my experience, grant money isn't firmly committed to a project until a grant is submitted. The DNR can't submit a grant until the lease is signed. However, there are many grantors that are committed to the project. And after submitting enough grants to the various sources, you learn what types of projects get funded and what types don't. It's a leap of faith, but that's how it is.

I do believe this Phase II project includes some federal dollars for storm sewer processing. Given the amount of fishing done in this area, it seems to be a great candidate for fish and wildlife grants. Of course the biggie is the Natural Resources Trust Fund which kicks out $20-$30 million a year in grants for acquisition and development.

I have little doubt that the money will be found through creative partnerships and persistance. Tri-Centennial has so many features (e.g. the water, the fishing, the storm sewer, it's urban, it's a trail, it's in an underserved area, it's popular, it's historic, it includes interpretive options, it has boating, it provides transportation options, it promotes tourism, it affects homeland security, etc.) it's an ideal candidate for so many different grants.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 940
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long does it take to review a lease? Two hours? Three? It would take a person well versed in landlord/teant law no time at all to analyze that lease in my opinion, no matter how lengthy it is.

I agree it's "business as usual" with that bunch.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.