Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Britney Death Watch « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In what may be the most important Detroit news story of our generation...

http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200710 04/METRO/710040377/1409

quote:

Britney death watch contest draws fire

Susan Whitall / The Detroit News
Thursday, October 04, 2007

Radio stations love edgy stunts and the publicity that ensues, but WKQI-FM, better known as Channel 95.5, might have crossed the line with listeners when its DJ Big Boy announced a "Britney Suicide Watch" contest Tuesday night.

"If you can guess the exact day that Britney dies, whether it's from drugs or however she dies, if you're right, we'll give you a thousand bucks," said Big Boy on his 7--11 p.m. show. The troubled pop star lost custody of her two young sons on Monday.

After swift and negative reaction, the station pulled the Web page for the Britney stunt by mid-morning Wednesday. At 7 p.m. Wednesday, 95.5 aired a statement by Dom Theodore, operations manager, in which he apologized if anyone was offended by the "content" of Big Boy's show. "In no way were we making light of death or suicide." Oddly, he went on to blame "the media" for its part in Spears' downward spiral

There's a long tradition of stunts in the radio industry. But under Theodore's reign at Clear Channel Detroit, Channel 95.5, a pop/hip-hop hybrid that ranked No. 5 in the spring ratings, has done more than its share. There were those crop circles on a Milford farm a few years ago that the station's Buck Head show claimed they created. They didn't, and Theodore issued an apology for "creating the illusion of an authentic paranormal event for the purpose of entertainment."

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually chimed into the radio station on this one. The DJ...Bigboy is the one responsible for creating the Challenge. In addition, he apologized for his actions and didn't think it would receive this kind of attention.

On another note, Spike from the Mojo in the morning show is supporting the 'Out of the Darkness" Walk. This program helps with suicide prevention. Of course there was a big falling out on air about it and everybody made up in a very professional manner. I called the station and made a challenge to Big Boy that I would donate for every 1/10 of a kilometer that he would walk for this cause. The station took my info and hopefully this guy will really get out and do something. It would really show his sincerity to me if he does. Suicide should never be taken lightly.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what gets me most about this "stunt" is that there are young children involved! to me, if an adult chooses suicide, that's one thing. but when children may lose their mother, that's something else!
NOT funny, at all.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 996
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just glad it - and him - went away.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.