Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Bronx 30 years later, will it happen in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10 /05/nyregion/05charlotte.html? ref=nyregion

Interesting article about then President Carter's visit to the barren, deserted, deadly, crime ridden urban wasteland that was the south Bronx thirty years ago today. THe very same street is completely rebuilt with single family homes and the neighborhood is unrecognizable.

Can and will this happen in Detroit? If so where first? Perhaps a visit on foot by incoming President Clinton will be provide the impetus needed.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no doubt that Detroit will eventually be rebuilt - downtown & neighborhoods. The powers that be are simply idling away the years, until land acquisition can be implemented on the cheap.

I've mentioned this before, on another thread; I spent several days (during 2002-2003) attempting to reach various city offices & officials...to absolutely no avail...in the hope of acquiring vacant lots in my old neighborhood.

Incompetent, uncaring, nincompoops; including Mayor Kilpatrick - who I once listened to on WJR Radio....telling a Detroit citizen to call him directly, regarding a request similar to mine.

One of my calls (in 2003) was to the Mayor's office - no response

(Message edited by chuckjav on October 05, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incompetent, uncaring, nincompoops; including Mayor Kilpatrick - who I once listened to on WJR Radio....telling a Detroit citizen to call him directly, regarding a request similar to mine.

I remember him telling a citizen to do the same thing on WJLB once. He's gotta be the textbook example of a grandstander.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lheartthed....True-Hit; I might just add that to his Wikipedia page.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as white baiting gets you elected nothing else gets done. Only when results are demanded will positive things happen IN THE NEIGHBORHOODS.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall...Right-Said; nothing will happen in the neighborhoods until the people collectively decide that they've had quite enough of the rhetoric that has been ringing in the ears of John Q. Detroiter since Jerome P. Cavanaugh left office.

PS Hold-up.....at least Mayor Archer got the streets plowed.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS Hold-up.....at least Mayor Archer got the streets plowed.

You're joking, right? lol.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lheartthed....OK, maybe just the c/o Brock and Eastwood....and the parking lot at Mackenzie High School?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that... I remember DPS being shut down for nearly 2 weeks during Archer's administration (I believe it was January of '99) because it was too dangerous for students to navigate unplowed city streets and sidewalks.

ETA: The snow storm hit the night before the first day of school after x-mas break. School was shut for most of that week and reopened that Friday. Most students didn't show that Friday because the city was still unnavigable. Over the weekend a second storm hit that was just about as bad as the first. School was in session that Monday, and after that day it was shut again for another week, maybe two.

(Message edited by iheartthed on October 05, 2007)

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bronx has something that Detroit doesnt; conveniently located next door to one of the wealthiest cities in the world. When Manhattan got waaaaaaay too expensive, people moved to the outer boroughs. Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Jersey across the river, etc...

Detroit is sprawling toward Lansing and the economy is in the toilet. Lets also not forget the first hip-hop mayor and a hostile to the suburbs city council.

Its not going to happen.

(Message edited by detroitsuperfly on October 05, 2007)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3423
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When these "suburban" Bronx houses in the article were built in the 1980s, Manhattan itself was a toilet. Yes, there has always been money in New York, but people weren't fleeing to Queens and the Bronx 20-25 years ago.

All you have to do is see that the house in the article appreciated in value tenfold in a matter of 20 years.

Amiller
Username: Amiller

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lets also not forget the first hip-hop mayor and a hostile to the suburbs city council. "

what about the suburbs being hostile to Detroit? Ever thought about that? Ever thought that maybe the reason why there isn't cooperation between city and suburbs isn't because the city is stubborn, its because the racist suburbs are to caught up in their own self-interest to ever think about anyone else but themselves.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, thats right;ALL the suburbs are racist and the Detroit City govt are poor innocent victims! LMFAO!

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the houses were built in the 80s. Much like many low income housing were built in Detroit in the 70s and 80s. Why is worked in the Bronx is its proximity and the migration of people into the NYC area.

Building homes without a economic reason to do so or an influx of money and people wont turn around a city

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that didn't take long.

Yes, this kind of resurrection can happen anywhere, it is already happening here, slowly but surely.

Amiller
Username: Amiller

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, I think all governments are to blame. maybe if people stopped placing the future of their community in the hands of the few (and rich), things wouldn't be so fucked up.

but there seems to be so much hostility toward the city in general, and no one ever criticizes the suburbs. all i'm saying is this stems from that trend that goes back decades. white people refusing to work together with others, so they just move away and blame everything on everyone else.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No racist sh-t please, you stupid -ssh-l-s. Just STFU. The suburbs always fight with the city. Detroit is nothing special when it comes to that.

That story is about the 70s, when many areas of NYC were written off as dead forever. Shoot, NYC was insolvent at the time, remember President Ford refusing to bail the city out? That obviously didn't stop the city from moving forward.

DaninDC is right, these houses were built when NYC was still a sh-thole. the Bronx outside of Riverdale were horrific. Manhattan below 14th street and above 96th Street were ghetto. Bad, bad, dangerous ghetto. Crooklyn? As bad as anywhere in the country back then. Queens/Staten Island were always relatively residential.

NYC was not a money machine at that time. But, it had very smart citizens who became involved with government in getting the city back on track. So, why can't Detroit get its best and brightest to develop an actionable, achievable, 30 year plan?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed...Truth-told; down here in suburban/affluent and relatively tiny Kettering, Ohio - our schools were closed for two weeks due to the relentless snow and sub-zero cold of '99.

These are the breaks.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4653
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So, why can't Detroit get its best and brightest to develop an actionable, achievable, 30 year plan?

Detroit's best and brightest? Who mean like Al Taubmen, Henry Ford, and Max Fisher. That worked out well didn't it.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember driving through this neighborhood about 3 years ago. One strange looking place with the juxtaposition of small ranch homes against the old 6 story tenement buildings. It's really quite different. Nice to finally read up some history about it.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 937
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That kind of turnaround requires component, bold, intelligent, hardworking leadership.
Can that happen here? Yes.
Will it happen here with the present City Council and mayor? Not a chance.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2391
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Competent" leadership is a "component" of good government.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 938
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Competent" leadership is a "component" of good government.

Agreed. We don't have good government either.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed...Truth-told; down here in suburban/affluent and relatively tiny Kettering, Ohio - our schools were closed for two weeks due to the relentless snow and sub-zero cold of '99.

Yeah, but Kettering, Ohio isn't a major American city. Also, that isn't all there is to the story...

It was believed that the streets in Detroit stayed clogged for so long because the Archer administration contracted out the city plows to some of the suburban communities. I can't confirm that for sure but I do believe it probable.

What I do know for certain is that there was a big battle over the city's responsibility to plow residential streets, because the city supposedly had no policy pertaining to it. The only neighborhoods that were driveable were the affluent ones that had already regularly paid private contractors to plow their neighborhoods. After the storm, a few other neighborhoods that could afford to do so also paid private contractors to do the same after days of waiting to be dug out by the city.

The result of that whole debacle is that the city is now required to plow residential neighborhoods for snow accumulations of 6 inches or more.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed....I hear what you're saying, and it bears mentioning that Detroit - and other large (northern) cities that permit overnight parking in the street - will always have difficulty with snow removal.

Jvhockey99
Username: Jvhockey99

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a former Detroiter living in NYC now I can honestly say that the Bronx is still largely avoided by everyone in NYC. The Bronx is a shit hole and Kettering is a joke.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5014
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, did you see the modern-day image of Charlotte Street? The homes all have bars over the windows. Seems to me, not much has changed besides the architecture.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4209
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Labor Ready at Charlotte and Woodward still open? [I knew the manager there a few years back, and she hated being reassigned there from East Pointe on 10 Mile, where our team played softball.] With the drug dealers out front much of the time--except when they're eating at the soup kitchen in the nice, old church across the street?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the bronx is one of but 5 boroughs and 1.5 times bigger than detroit, new york has money, stock markets, different politics, and police presence. it will be quite some time, not in my life time for total change. generations anyway. it's easier to stay in shape than get back in shape.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the before and after pictures, it doesn't look much different. Detroit can be a cool city with a few nice neighborhood's, but its never going to be what it was in the 50's. It's foolish to think the entire city is going to fill with new homes and other buildings.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.