Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Fordson football players pray « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5003
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071005/NEWS05/710050338/0/RSS07

THE RAMADAN FAST
A test of body and faith
Muslim athletes sacrifice sunrise to sunset
October 5, 2007
BY NIRAJ WARIKOO
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
Hunched over, clutching his stomach, Saeed Saleh gasps for air. The cross-country runner has stopped suddenly during a practice sprint around the track at Fordson High in Dearborn.
"I couldn't breathe," the senior panted. "It came out of nowhere. I wasn't able to keep on going."

text description of image

Ok, so why is it ok for Muslims football players at a PUBLIC school to pray, but the ACLU gets all up in arms over Christian players praying before games? Is this a double standard or something more?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2007-10-04-coach-prayer_N.htm

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10399
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ok, so why is it ok for Muslims football players at a PUBLIC school to pray, but the ACLU gets all up in arms over Christian players praying before games? Is this a double standard or something more?

The students are leading themsleves in prayer. The Christians can do the same it's just that they don't seem to have as much conviction.

Please cite and article where Christian students were not allowed to pray amongst themselves prior to a game.

I comment them for having that much conviction in their beliefs. It is much more honorable to live by their beliefs than only consider them on Sunday morning like all too many.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey now - politics & religion aside - the Fordson Tractors kick much ass; serious athletic tradition at that school.

Good Luck Fordson!

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 364
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is "conviction" really a worthwhile benchmark to judge others by? The Taliban have conviction, so did the hijackers on 9/11 about their religious beliefs. Conviction isn't some noble characteristic in itself.

Jt1

Post Number: 10400
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have more respect for someone that lives by their religious beliefs (of course these are kids, not Taliban) than the overly preachy religious people that think their religious service is done by sitting in a church a few hours a week.

Funny how people complain about how messed up kids are but kids that but their religious beliefs first are certainly going to be villified.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ACLU typically handles cases someone brings to them. People who are personally involved. Rarely do they handle cases where they instigate the complaint themselves. For example; When Rush Limbaugh had privacy issues and Sean Hnnity had 1st amendment issues. The ACLU represented them. They didn't act independently without them.

If you know someone personally involved with the Fordson prayer issue, encourage them to contact the ACLU. Otherwise, stop complaining about the ACLU.

BTW- there are plenty of Christian prayers before public school football games.

(Message edited by detroitsuperfly on October 05, 2007)

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not vilifying anyone, just addressing the contrarian streak some people have that consists of kneejerk approval of what other people do while criticizing the same thing in the dominant culture.

Had a Christian team done the same thing many here would be calling them zealots. But because it's the exotic "other" suddenly a double standard applies.

And really, what's wrong with people spending only a few hours in church per week? Many people are busy living their lives, and apart from the monks and priests, religion generally does not require people to spend most of their waking hours focused on it.

People should be judged on their deeds, not how often they spend in a church/mosque/in prayer. A lot of people spend hours in church but are the biggest assholes around. It doesn't necessarily equate nobleness.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ok, so why is it ok for Muslims football players at a PUBLIC school to pray, but the ACLU gets all up in arms over Christian players praying before games?"

Where did you get this idea from Patrick? We, as a team, went to church before every game and said team prayers after. This was quite a few years ago, but the method was the same, with a team member leading the prayer so as to maintain the whole seperation of church/state thing. Most of the guys I knew from other schools did the same thing. You must not have been an athlete.

Jt1

Post Number: 10402
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Had a Christian team done the same thing many here would be calling them zealots. But because it's the exotic "other" suddenly a double standard applies.

I disagree. If Christian kids want to get together for prayer before a game more power to them.

quote:

And really, what's wrong with people spending only a few hours in church per week? Many people are busy living their lives, and apart from the monks and priests, religion generally does not require people to spend most of their waking hours focused on it

People should be judged on their deeds, not how often they spend in a church/mosque/in prayer. A lot of people spend hours in church but are the biggest assholes around. It doesn't necessarily equate nobleness.

My comment was more targeted to the people that spend a few hours a week in curch but do nothing to live by the ideals they or their religion preach. Those that follow their religion in their actions don't fit into that group. I should have been more clear.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5004
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.laaclu.org/News/200 4/August24TangiSettlement.htm

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3408
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm not vilifying anyone, just addressing the contrarian streak some people have that consists of kneejerk approval of what other people do while criticizing the same thing in the dominant culture.

That sums it up for me! This forum is rife with the very thing you have eloquently summarized here. Good post Hockey_player.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-Patrick

Again, as you erroneously feel the ACLU is exhibiting a double standard why not get someone personally involved in the issue to request the ACLU to represent them?

The ACLU has represented MANY Christian groups.

Anything else you need cleared up?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 489
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Before each home football game at Loranger High School, Reverend Ralph Garner, a teacher and assistant basketball coach at the school, got on the public address system and lead everyone in attendance in a prayer

When persons in positions of authority engage in this sort of behavior, it becomes coercive.

This is not about "when Muslims pray" vs. "when Christians pray." The stronger analogy lies in why a single/unmarried teacher having a sexual relationship with an 18-year-old student is different than two 18-year-old students engaging in the same behavior.

(edited to clarify all participants being of legal age)

(Message edited by zephyrprocess on October 05, 2007)

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick,

Our football team used to pray before games too. In fact, the coaches led the prayers. No issues here. If they want to pray, let them. If they start announcing it from the PA system, that's a different story.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: Society being unfair toward Christians. This is the most ludicrous canard ever to circulate in American society. Yeah, right.

Call me when you're back to worshipping in the sewers to hide from the Roman cops who wanna hurl you to the lions. Sheesh.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4654
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theologically, I've never understood the praying before a game thing. At the risk of sounding glib, am I expected to believe God favors Fordson or any other high school in interscholastic competition? Does anyone believe these prayers bring them or anyone else closer to salvation? It is a kind of soft blasphemy kind of like the WWJD movement. What would Jesus do? For starters, probably not purchase a rubber bracelet to remind him how to behave.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 484
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but those rubber bracelets may have come in handy at the crucifixion.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 896
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No, but those rubber bracelets may have come in handy at the crucifixion."

Weren't you the person who didn't like any criticism of the bum newspaper? Here you are making a sick joke about something that many people consider to be an important part of their lives.

By the way, how's that newspaper idea coming along? Or was that just a bunch of BS talk and nothing more? At least you sounded like a caring person.

I couldn't care less about your joke, it's your hypocrisy that I find annoying.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 485
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Catholic schools, so I'm allowed.

Newspaper idea has stalled; last time I checked we were all trying to coordinate a meeting...didn't hear back from anyone.

Where does the hypocrisy fit in? What's more hypocritical is claiming to be a devout Christian and seeing homeless as less than human. I wasn't out there referring to people as bums or filthy animals. Doesn't a true spirit of Christianity mean more than a recorded (probable) event in Christian history?

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3421
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What's more hypocritical is claiming to be a devout Christian and seeing homeless as less than human.

Yeah, and I know the humanitarian libs are always helping out the poor and the homeless.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bottom Line: Whoever the football players were praying to; Buddah, Jesus, Moses or Allah....apparently, it worked - Fordson beat Dearborn on Friday night.

PS I'd be willing to bet that these young people are American citizens - free to be just like you and me.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish all I had to worry about was the damn football teams praying

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 850
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are they praying for? That their god help them to win a football game? That their god help them destroy the other team? knock down the other guy? How preposterous. And if they lose?? Is that some test of faith? Or maybe they didn't fast long enough? Or maybe they're going to look for the weak believer who was the cause for their losing the game. Have a little auto-da-fey.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

usually, when a group prays before a game, it is not meant to ask for favor over the team or anything like that. Usually, its just for protection against injury and that everyone does the best that they can and to have fun. Its all about faith in what the person believes. Win or loose, they know that God has a plan for them and if it did not include winning that particular game, oh well. If they are strong in their beliefs, it doesn't hurt their faith to loose a game.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're praying because it's Ramadan and they're Muslim. That's a little like asking why Christians pray before dinner. Read the article before mouthing off. Stop being a bigot.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should have mentioned that I was speaking from a Christian perspective. I cannot speak for anyone elses motivations.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the photo was about a prayer, which I have seen almost every team do, no matter where I have been, but the whole article was about fasting and Ramadan and how it affects the players. So for the most part this thread makes no sense.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yeah, and I know the humanitarian libs are always helping out the poor and the homeless."

I volunteer with my church at the Detroit rescue mission once a month.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 489
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois,

You nailed it!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I'm confused. I thought prayer was prohibited on the grounds of public schools, because of separation of church and state. I thought that for a school to allow prayer would be seen as the school's endorsement of a religion. Is that not the case?

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 491
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One nation, under God..."

I hear it every day, so what's the diff? Our currency reads "In God We Trust". Why is this blurring of lines news? I've also heard that the cafeterias in Dearborn Schools observe religious dietary needs as well...my question is what does any of this have to do with Detroit?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Those that follow their religion in their actions"

In respect to Christianity, this comment displays either naïveté or ignorance of the mechanics of that particular religion. Since the basis of the Christian religion is the concept that all humans are inescapably mired in sinful behaviors, and as a result no one person could ever be superior to another - then looking for people to behave in a perfected "christ" like manner is really missing the point by a mile.

All Christians are sinners.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now I'm confused. I thought prayer was prohibited on the grounds of public schools, because of separation of church and state. I thought that for a school to allow prayer would be seen as the school's endorsement of a religion. Is that not the case?

From the ACLU website:

quote:

First, children are free to pray in public schools either as individuals or in groups. In addition, whenever a teacher opens up an assignment topic for the children's choice (such as which book to read, what to discuss in a talk to the class, or which song to sing), students may choose religious themes - and the ACLU has protected their right to do so. (Learn More) In addition, schools may offer courses about religion or about the Bible or other religious works.

There are, however, two difficulties to which all should be aware. First, public schools themselves should not be in the business of promoting particular religious beliefs or religious activities. While it is permissible for public schools to teach about religion, it is not permissible to promote particular religious beliefs. Although public schools should not be leading children in prayers or religious ceremonies, they should also be respectful of the religious beliefs of students. Second, public schools should protect children from being coerced by others to accept religious (or anti-religious!) beliefs. Public schools should seek to create an environment conducive to learning by all students and not act as vehicles proselytizing for religious or anti-religious beliefs.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Pam, that helps to explain.

I would think that a teacher (or staff member on the loudspeaker) leading prayer in the classroom would definitely be coercive, but students organizing themselves in prayer would not be, or would much less be coercive.

A coach would not and should not lead or participate in prayer on school grounds.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Our currency reads "In God We Trust""

Technically, our currency is is a federal reserve note. The federal reserve is a private organization. Although, their chair and board are nominated by the prez and confirmed by congress.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did you read that the ACLU objects to players praying? Another urban myth!!

Kids pray every day in school...especially before a test!

The issue is...do you want an agent of the state (teacher/coach) leading children in prayer?

The "In God We Trust" on currency started in...I believe the 1930's...went out of existence...was revived by Eisenhower in response to political pressure from the so called "Christian Right".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.