Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Good Life Lounge, Mavericks, and Red Squared « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2393
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the story on these three establishments? I know that the Good Life Lounge, until recently, has been an urban nightclub, but I have never heard about any activity going on at the other two. Wasn't Mavericks supposed to be a steak-themed restaurant? Also, are/were the three in the same building? I remember there being a basement that appeared to be separate from the first floor establishment. Who's got the scoop?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the Good Life?

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four maybe five years ago Mavericks was a step above restaurant. Great selection and good food. They closed for about a year and reopened but it wasn't quite the same place. They gradually slipped in quality and selection and they don't appear to be open any longer.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a bad luck spot. I remember countless of restaurants and bars in that location over the years, nothing seems to stick.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I herd it closed because they were serving minors, is that true?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"urban nightclub" I love code speak..... lol

I photographed a lot of events this summer for promoters and then the club just told them that they weren't doing events etc. That's the last I heard and that was in August.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 768
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redsquareddetroit.com is still up. What the heck is a popped collar?

Royce

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, all, but only my query about Maverick's has been answered. What was Red Squared? Where was Red Squared in relation to the Good Life Lounge? Three names on the building facade and only one entrance. What gives? I remember going into the building years ago and there was a bar and grill where the atrium is located. When you first come into the building and to the left there was an area for buffet-style carry-out food. Then straight ahead but before going through the door to get to the atrium and bar and grill, there was a door that led to the basement, but it was not a part of the bar and grill. Was/is this Red Squared?

Visiondetroit, let's just say I never saw a white person standing in line to get into the Good Life Lounge. Maybe I should have said that the first time because I usually don't write posts using code-speak.

Like Oldredford said, this appears to be a "bad spot" for any kind of restaurant or club. I can't even remember the name of the bar and grill I talked about earlier because there have been so many things. Remember "Jimmy's on Woodward?"

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 775
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at the website I posted, you might find out some info.

Royce

Post Number: 2396
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe, the website was interesting but not very helpful. They advertise a college night on Tuesdays and that seems to be the only time that they're open. I was hoping someone on this forum has been there to give an eyewitness account. I have to call there number to see what they're all about.

BTW, "popping the collar" is a thing you do when dancing. You literally flick up the collar of a dress shirt or polo shirt with your hands several times.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weren't the Mavericks owners convicted of fraud forcing them to close?

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, if I remember correctly, I think Red Squared was opened by a DJ from Channel 955.. or something along those lines.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.