Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Milner Hotel « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My relitives are coming into town and they booked a Large Suite at the Milner Hotel.
IT ONLY COSTED 100 dollars.

What do you think of the hotel?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 764
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks really neat, I would stay there. It's close to the Comerica Park, Ford Field and the Fox and Gem. Via the People Mover, you can get all over downtown.

Here is the site for the Milner:

http://milner-hotels.com/

French777

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the help

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Costed 100 dollars....come on----consult your 4th grade English textbook please.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I peeped that too..."costed" lol

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on guys just because he dosn't know that "cost" is the right way doesn't mean he should be accosted.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us know how it goes, I've heard mixed reviews.

Detroitprincess
Username: Detroitprincess

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seems like a good location. looks okay on the outside. Well you get what you pay for. If a suite cost only $100 a night. I would have some concerns.....

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 942
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. That looks WAY better than I thought it would. Nice!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow! looks clean, tidy, and efficient, with a bit of character!

french, please let us know what your family thought. i'd never considered the milner as a place to stay, but it might be worthy of a recommendation!

Jz_detroit
Username: Jz_detroit

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cost·ed, cost·ing, cost.

–noun 1. the price paid to acquire, produce, accomplish, or maintain anything: the high cost of a good meal.
2. an outlay or expenditure of money, time, labor, trouble, etc.: What will the cost be to me?
3. a sacrifice, loss, or penalty: to work at the cost of one's health.
4. costs, Law. a. money allowed to a successful party in a lawsuit in compensation for legal expenses incurred, chargeable to the unsuccessful party.
b. money due to a court or one of its officers for services in a cause.

–verb (used with object) 5. to require the payment of (money or something else of value) in an exchange: That camera cost $200.
6. to result in or entail the loss of: Carelessness costs lives.
7. to cause to lose or suffer: The accident cost her a broken leg.
8. to entail (effort or inconvenience): Courtesy costs little.
9. to cause to pay or sacrifice: That request will cost us two weeks' extra work.
10. to estimate or determine the cost of (manufactured articles, new processes, etc.).
–verb (used without object) 11. to estimate or determine costs, as of manufacturing something.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Milner Arms apartments a different building then? I thought the apartments were located in the hotel but looking at the website, it appears they are a separate entity although still owned by the same people.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Milner Arms is a residential hotel for not quite homeless people, the Milner HOtel is across from the DAC and backs up to Harmonie Park area.

I know the Milner got a quick makeover just before the Superbowl, and I heard mixed reviews about the place.

I do know that 10 years back it was a true flophouse, but I guess they're changing their tune.

Link to TripAdvisor.com with customer reviews of the Milner:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?where=body&returnTo=&pid=214&SearchTeaser=%28your+destination%2C+hotel+or+attraction%29&q=milner+hotel+detroit

(Message edited by gnome on October 07, 2007)

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i stayed at the Milner once. If your on a budget an need decent room with no bells and whistles, the Milner is ok. It basially needs a complete makeover, but it looks as though some work was done pre superbowl to at least make it clean and roach free. You cant beat the location in Harmony Park. Very charming neighborhood.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that the Holiday Inn Express on Washington blvd. might be an alternative in that price range.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French,

If you have any doubt go check it out!

They will give you a tour.

The Garden Inn would also be good option, it will cost a little bit more, but it is brand new, and is in an equally great location.

I highly suggest investigating the place, $100 for a suite is a steal.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5475
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all the English teachers here... French777 is one of our youngest Forum members!

French777

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Gistok

10th grade at Rochester High School

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not going to attack you or call you an idiot, but I do think you'll be taken more seriously on here if you edit your posts a bit more carefully. Especially now that all the 50-year-olds on here who can't imagine a kid possibly making an intelligent point about anything know how old you are.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5477
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Bearinabox... but what really gets my goat is when folks make mistakes in the thread title. That has been happening a lot lately! :-(

But I give French777 a lot of credit in posting "with the big boys." He's gotten beat up more than a few times, but he keeps his cool and doesn't get ad hominem about it (unlike many of us). Most guys his age don't give a rats derriere about what goes on in and around Detroit.

(Message edited by Gistok on October 07, 2007)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to apologise to French777 for my rude comments. Although they were directed towards Jz_Detroit, I should not have written what I did, and I am sorry.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.