Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Fox2 News reporters, please speak for yourself « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 759
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My turn to rant. I hate, hate, hate the current weather. It's October now and I WANT my October, autumn weather. I'm looking forward to October all year long but right now it's almost worse than mid-August. What really pisses me off is watching the News, especially Fox2 and their reporters who just glorify the current weather conditions. For one, this is NOT normal, two, not everybody enjoys hot, humid, near-90 degree summer time, as WEIRD as it may seem to some people. I guess, if you don't comply with the standard mainstream that adores summertime so that they can have their Sunday afternoon barbeque, you're considered 'strange". However, Fox2 people, please don't push your standard mainstream opinions about the weather onto the general public. I, for one, totally hate it and I wish you would actually have the guts to say that it is not what should be the norm this time of the year and that not everybody actually enjoys it, like you imply. End of Rant.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just hang on, Wed. high supposed to be 68.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 465
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with ya ghetto------this heat is driving me nuts. I don't mind the hot days as much as the murky, humid evenings.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cold front blew through here in Las Vegas, low last night in the 40s and barely touching 70 for the high. The trees would be turning colors....if only we had any trees......

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty soon folks will be bitching because it's too cold.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AMEN - outrageous humidity and temps 30 degrees above average highs. I was working the other night and was eaten alive by mosquitoes the size of sparrows. In October ? WTF !

Why the hell do they chortle about it like its so great - excellent post, even though it seems a little silly, it really highlights what idiots the teleprompter writers are for the FOX2 bobbleheads.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny,

As I swam in my pool today I commented to my neighbor how I don't understand how people don't accept global warming. After I said it I remembered they get all of their news from Fox. Ouch!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, wow. the weather report is not about the weather...it's all about ghb. then on top of it all, the newscasters put a positive spin on it.

thanks for a wonderful thread, ghb.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many ski- and snowboard-loving members in my family, who go postal when the meteorologists on TV refer to snow as a four-letter word and apologize to viewers when there is a forecast of snow.

(Message edited by Crystal on October 06, 2007)

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hate flying ants. HATE EM! no matter what anybody has to say about 'em.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, gb ...

The weathercasters hate rain of any kind too, no matter how much of a drought we are in. The giddiness all summer over the lack of rain drove me nuts.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're in the middle of our rugby season at CMU and this heat is definitely ridiculous. Todays temp at kickoff was 86. Needless to say we're welcoming the '60's with open arms.

Sid
Username: Sid

Post Number: 472
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you people are ridickulous. this weather is awesome.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4209
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canadian Soldiers Invade Cleveland!

Did anyone watch Friday night's game across the lake in Cleveland vs. the Yankees? A massive swarm of flies, later identified as Canadian Soldiers in local speak, invaded the stadium late in the game. The game was delayed at points as batters and players on the field called several time outs to swat away the flies, get them removed from their eyes etc.

The Yankee pitcher Joba Chamberlain was so pestered that he threw two wild pitches leading to the tying run in the eighth and Cleveland went on to win in extra innings. In the close ups he had about 30 of them on his neck and cheeks, many dead as they had sprayed him with repellent, but enough to bother him.

Talk about home field advantage!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6043
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the folks at WDIV & WXYZ do the weather any differently for this forecast?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2796
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The weathercasters hate rain of any kind too, no matter how much of a drought we are in. The giddiness all summer over the lack of rain drove me nuts.

Yeah me too. Do they not know that Michigan has a lot of farmers who need rain?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto_butterfly, the meat-puppets who pass themselves off as bona fied "reporters" and weather "forecasters" are simply fulfilling their role in the infotainment industry.

If you're looking for unbiased weather, click online (except for all places, The Weather Channel) or open up a window for the conditions.

We have not had real news to speak of, either in print or over the air in at least two decades.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 894
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think most of the weather people must feel they play second fiddle to the real news. When the weather dosn't fit the templet it becomes a "news" item. I would love it if box scores were kept on the forcasters' predictions. I would bet most would be traded in no time.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! I was dying for this thread. Ok, let me catch up on some things:

-This stretch of hot weather for October the NWS said is arguably the hottest stretch ever in SE Michigan's history. We're even in the running for 90+ heat (record heat) tomorrow. Of course, with this type of weather, some of you may have saw those popcorn July Type thunderstorms.

-The Weather Suckers Are the Worst Group of People in the world. They can barely forecast a feather.

-It has to do with the brewing La Nina (the same set up that gave us little snow, and more rain/ice last year in the winter). Usually, this means that the jet streams/storm tracks are further north than usual. Which in time is leaving SE Michigan in that warm sector.

-All the News Stations forecast differently. You have different forecasters who look a the weather through different windows. WDIV has the most original and unbiased forecast in the area. That's why I like them. WXYZ copies directly from the NWS. FOX 2 just creates dribble with poor equipment and limited detail on their forecasts.

-Heck, I hate it when people think sports have to play second fiddle in the news. That's what ESPN is for.

-Bullet, do you have any pics for us?

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 07, 2007)

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"-Bullet, do you have any pics for us?"

Yea I miss your pics too bullet

Detroitrise

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and I'm loving it! (pun intended)

Pffft

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,

What does La Nina mean for this winter, then?

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Ghetto_butterfly. 90 Degree humid weather does nothing for me. I really enjoy sitting in the house in the AC. To think I wanted to pick apples today!

Mauser765

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake St Clair from Jefferson looked like a sauna today headed north towards the Parkway. Clouds of swampy steam coming up from the water. Yuk.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 627
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well this is proof of the resurrection of urbanize! Our resident meteorologist is back

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4658
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knew saying its a nice day would be so controversial? Christ you people have a preternatural ability to pick nits.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pretty soon folks will be bitching because it's too cold."

It's never too cold.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft,
La Nina means.... "the Nina". :-)

(ok, somebody had to have seen the Chris Farley SNL skit)

Pffft

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still wondering how La Nina will affect this winter's weather ...

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Jerome

"All other tropical storms must bow before El Nino!"

Mauser765

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Christ you people have a preternatural ability to pick nits."

thats a pretty amazing statement coming from you.

Mallory715
Username: Mallory715

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,
Though you may think that you are able to tell which channel forecasts the weather most accurately, there is actually a third party company called WeatheRate (www.weatherate.com) that gauges the accuracy of television station forecasts. Each station submits their forecasts before the end of the day and WeatheRate verifies how close each forecast comes to the actual observed conditions. So, while you may voice your opinions about which Detroit station you THINK has the most accurate forecast, there actually is somebody out there calculating it with an unbiased method. I believe that the service is only available to weather professionals, but as a meteorology intern at one of the 3 detroit tv stations a few years ago, I was able to see the rankings and FOX 2 was actually the most accurate, at least at that time.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kam Carmen this morning babbling about how she loves the 90 degree October weather and doesnt want it to stop. Ben Baily says "yeah, but you have to run the AC". She says "oh yeah, cant live without it". Huh ? WTF ! I love the hot weather so I can sit inside with the ac cranked ?

In other news a guy drops dead during the marathon in Chicago. Records broken all over the north east. The weather is broke.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/w ireStory?id=3700239

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always of the opinion that Kam Carmen was a bit of a ditz.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over time, the weather always averages out. A hot, dry summer foretells a cold, wet winter. If the woolly caterpillers, huge amounts of acorns, and birds already headed south are any indication, then we are in for an unusual winter.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything will be fixed in the next 24 hours. No need to panic.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

90 degrees today; we broke the old high temperature record. Sonny Eliot said it was so warm, squirrels were burying Popsicles.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5129
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Crystal...

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 486
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree. This hot weather in October sucks.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to wear turtle necks and not sweat to death in October lol

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unbelievable weather, my dte interruptable a/c service interrupted today! The first time I noticed this year.
I remember it snowed last year in october.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I can do without the cold until at least Halloween. Especially since these next few days will get raw. Flu and Cold galore.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Especially since these next few days will get raw. Flu and Cold galore.

Please be reasonable. You don't get a cold from cold weather.
Instead, explain the El Nino effect on next winter, as Pffft demanded, I'm curious too.

(Message edited by ghetto_butterfly on October 08, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's not the cold weather. When your body experiences drastic changes in the temperature when it's not used to it, it triggers the Influenza germ. It's the same with Pneumonia. Think about it, our bodies have gotten used to the Hot weather with no jackets. Now all of a sudden, we must get back to reality in less than 24 hours.

Anyway, with La Nina, the storm tracks are usually further northward than normal. A typical winter track for a Low Pressure center would be across the Ohio Valley. In an La Nina winter, it would be much further north than that. Thus, that would put us into the warm sector of the Low Pressure centers.

Although not eminent, one is showing signs of development (like how these cold fronts are having a difficult time making it into our area before falling to pieces, which is because much of it's energy with the cold front is well up into Canada by the time it reaches us, which is unusual for this time of year).

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 08, 2007)

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking forward to cooler weather tomorrow! I have allergies and although I love fall, October is usually a pretty rough time for me, sinus-wise. Coupled with this unnaturally hot weather the past few days, I am really miserable.

Pffft

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sinuses were bad too Tkierpiec, I hope the cooler weather relieves it ...suddenly I saw a bunch of people get sick during this weird weather.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hot weather - Must be that global warming thing Al Gwhore talks about and all the business activity taking place :-)

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I like the crisp, cool fall weather as much as anyone, I am not complaining. Winter will be here soon.

Saturday I started preparing for our ice rink we build in the back yard every winter.

Sunday we took our inflatable boat to the beach and went swimming in the Detroit River.

How cool is that?

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same to you, Pffft - hope you feel better tomorrow. :-)

As an aside - I searched for a walk in medical clinic on the internet this morning due to how horrible I was feeling. I ended up driving to Southfield because I found a clinic located right in CVS - how convenient! I was in and out in about 20 minutes - $49 office visit and a few more dollars for my Rx. Too bad they don't have any of these clinics in the CVS stores here in the city - they are all over the suburbs. That's pretty cheap and perfect for minor illnesses - beats the hell out of going to a busy urgent care facility and waiting around forever.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 579
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCP, we do have real news one the air now! WDET "Detroit Today" in the late mornings on 101.9fm. god bless them. that's show is great!

Mauser765

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec, I did the same thing at CVS, even tho I have a "real" doctor. Fabulous !

http://www.minuteclinic.com/en /USA/

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop your 'itching already. It'll snow next week.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2805
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Predictions for winter:

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/s tories2007/20071009_outlook.ht ml

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.