Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bank of America to move downtown? » Archive through October 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greatlakes:

In Downtown Detroit, it would seen rather modern and out of place. If you did want something like that, we would need to take baby steps (maybe just a simple Glass Tower).

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'd take a simple glass tower. Something to balance against all the stone in the CBD.

Personally, I think a tower on the parking lot at the end of Washington Blvd in front of the Free Press Building would be great. You'd see it at the end of Washington Blvd when you're standing in GCP; it would balance out the skyline similar to Chicago's where you have two tall towers on the ends instead of right now with a clump of buildings and then the RenCen; and it'd have access to the People Mover's Michigan Ave. station, possibly building up the whole Washington Blvd district that currently is getting a boost from the Book Cadillac renovation and Griswold construction.

(Message edited by GreatLakes on October 03, 2007)

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're talking at most 800 workers any building they build isn't that that tall and given downtown's office market, if they move, let's hope it's in to existing office space.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 612
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if they move into "comerica" tower, they could be the signature tenant, and have naming rights. this would just about fill up all class A available space downtown, and would lead to new buildings anytime more class A space is needed. As we have seen with the One Kennedy Square building, Class A space can be needed downtown

Eric

Post Number: 954
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica is only moving 200 workers so the building will be their regional HQ. BoA isn't going share a building with their competition

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i doubt they would build anything new downtown... Perhaps there is enough space in the Ren Cen or Guardian.... What other A class space is available?

Comerica Tower even with all of comerica's employees had pretty low occupancy

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pledge to move my money to B of A from Comerica if they make the move.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question is, are you willing to travel back and forth from Troy and Downtown to do your transactions if they make the move?

Passion
Username: Passion

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken thread redux.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you move your money in an account from one bank to a bank that you have little access to? Out of a 6 county region, there's only 5 locations. It's just backwards to me. I love that they're moving, but I'm not going to jump up and decide to bank with them just because they moved their HQ.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

buddy, they are now LaSalle bank... Over 18,500 atms...

The huge LaSalle branch in the Guardian? Thats now Bank of America. The hundreds of LaSalles across Detroit and the suburbs? Thats now Bank of America

Eric

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little access? With their takeover of LaSalle they'll have tons of branches. Really this is something that shouldn't even have to be explained. Please tell me you aren't this dumb in real life and this just a shtick.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"what the fuck? you're an idiot urbanize"

what did urbanize say in this thread?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitrise is urbanize....new handle he's got.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3747
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is One Woodward Class A?

I'm pretty sure it has no active tenants right now.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 617
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe National City has a pretty large presence in One Woodward...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4179
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SD: Ancient history... What took you so long to figure that one?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3748
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mapdetroit.com lists tenants (although I think some of their info might be outdated) for downtown buildings. One Woodward only has one law firm, on one floor, and the Detroit Regional Chamber, in addition to a small architectural firm.

National City is in the First National Building, if my sources are correct.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 618
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is true, but they also have offices in One Woodward. I know this for a fact...I am just not sure how large... Also, I cant recall the name of the law firm, but i believe it operates 5 floors of One Woodward.. It is big. \

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 791
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

First Michigan National->Standard Federal->LaSalle Bank->Bank of America

Who buys BOA?

actually, no one. federal law prohibits banks from getting over a certain percentage of deposits (10% i think?) through acquisitions. The LaSalle bank deal barely squeaked by under that amount. Any further growth will have to be organic, not through M&A.

Unless, of course, BoA implodes and the remains are scavenged by rival banks.

As for the other BoA buildings, i think the Atlanta BoA Plaza would fit in well in Detroit. (yeah, that's dreaming, but i doubt it will be new construction anyways.)

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have accounts with BoA and with Comerica. I find BoA much easier to deal with as a customer. They seem to actually try to please me as opposed to the attitude at Comerica.

As for them moving here, I'd rather see them downtown than in Troy. I'd rather see them lease/buy one of the older buildings than erect a new one.

Why? If the existing buildings get filled up, the office space fees go up. If fees go up, investors actually start looking at the real estate here. If investors look at and buy real estate, it creates an impression of growth that might, just might provide that tipping point we seem to need to get away from manufacturing and into more diverse business sectors.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit, Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss used to have 5 fabulous floors there. They moved out a few years ago...and went out to Southfield (yuck).

The only other law firm I remember being there was Kitch Drutchas, and I beleive they had 1 floor. They might still be there.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitch took over Jaffe's spaces.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The architecture firm takes up the sixth floor, and has an amazing office. Its a regional branch of Gensler a large international firm. They do alot of stuff for the NAIAS and airports.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, I'm convinced, BoA should move downtown. My idea is to move into the old FreePress building

freepress

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5451
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For over 50 years businesses have been moving from Detroit to the suburbs.

I see no reason to complain when the reverse happens. Since much of suburban growth was business migration from the city, why is it a problem when the city is getting back some businesses?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Gnome. BoA has strong feelings about that Amy Saunders article, apparently. Hilarious.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Charlotte corporate presence:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/b ranman1975/103682153/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8 003353@N04/473795646/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/d yelton/246730945/
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=429826381&size=o

(Message edited by charlottepaul on October 04, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^The 3rd link looks like the NY,NY hotel in Vegas...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! more changes are afoot.

BOA.jpg