Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Interesting Film on Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend sent me a link to this film about Detroit. The film is narrated by Jerome Cavanaugh. I found the film interesting but also kind of sad.

Here's a link to part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vUbsw28PCpA&mode=related&sear ch=
Part two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =evxDI7ce6Z0&mode=related&sear ch=detroit%20city%20on%20the%2 0move%20cananaugh%201965%20urb an%20documentary

A lot of great shots of the city in its heyday and great music.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 218
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee....that film was solid gold...no, wait - it was .999 fine platinum.

Thank you for posting!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 971
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom and I just watched it and she was amazed to see the names of the people she used to work with a long time ago at Jam Handy. Way cool.

Those planners didn't do such a great job, did they?

Great post, thanks!

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. It is an amazing film to watch! I love that shot of the Ford Rouge Plant and the Chrysler factory sign. Its weird how they thought the city had hit a rough patch with the riots but really they had no idea! The city continued into a more rapid and disastrous decline rather than the renaissance planned for the 70's.

They really didn't. I mean how could they be so wrong?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest that somebody check out the comments below the video. The most recent is rather amusing. According to them, the sole reason for the city was "NIGGERS" I would like to see this argument crushed. I tried my best.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 625
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

milwaukee, where have you been??

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I took a break from the forum. I took a while to review a lot of my posts and I thought I should try and do a little more reading up on the city before opening my big mouth.

Brewcitypunk
Username: Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off topic, but a question for Milwaukee. What neighborhood do you live in? I live in Riverwest, by the way.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born in Milwaukee, lived on the lower east side, then to that neighborhood just south of uwm and east of oakland, then out to the suburbs where I currently am.

Brewcitypunk
Username: Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, thanks a lot Milwaukee.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4214
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MKE: I lived practically on the corner of Park and Murray? (forget...) when I last lived there. The streetcar turned right there making its jog from Oakland through the neighborhood, which I took to get to the Boy's Club on Franklin Street in Little Italy from Capitol Drive during the 1950s.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah we didn't leave because we hate milwaukee but that neighborhood which we both lived in is kind of rowdy. Our lawn furniture kept getting stolen, just like petty crime and my parents were sick of it. My dad also started making more money and they felt like Milwaukee was not the place to settle down. Basically drunken UW Milwaukee students are why we left.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.