Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 8 mile / Woodward mall update « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought it's moving slowly, it looks like it's still on track.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071006/B IZ/710060367&theme=BIZ-RETAIL

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update. I was very impressed by the plans. It looks like a real town center style shopping mall. I was worried that it would just be a collection of big box stores and huge surface lots but apparently not.

At first I wasn't sure this project would work but it seems like it would be great for the city and an incentive for those with money to stay in the area.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news. Thanks Tetsua.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 472
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who say everything is happening downtown and nothing out in the neighborhoods, well here is one happening outside downtown.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6049
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can only hope that this does get some traction and moves forward. It's hard to believe that Crowley's in the New Center was the last major retailer in the city as I vaguely remember the days of the coolest shopping experiences at the downtown Hudson's.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That rendering looks really cool.

That looks simular to the
Village of Rochester Hills

Detroitrise

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Crowley's was in the New Center Area. They closed in the late 90s.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Village of Rochester Hills WILL die with the opening of Partridge Creek

Bel Air is on its last leg

The Fountain Walk in Novi was torn down last year

This mall has to be done right and be SAFE
if built, management needs to keep the place clean and inviting
no sense in building when the EFIS is crumbling off in 2 weeks cause someone rammed their 88 cutlass through the bollards
im just as scared of suburban mcmansion trash at 12 oaks just as much as your a-typical thugs from any detroit ghettohood-so safety is key
and i would hope to Jehovah they don't consider payless and dollar tree as
junior big-box" tenants

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fountain Walk was torn down?!
I didn't know that.

That's weird ...

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by fountain walk 2 weeks ago... It's all still there. Apparently this guy doesn't get out to the west side of town very often.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He probably refers to this:

http://www.detroityes.com/webi sodes/2006/08-ISO-communities/ 001.htm

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novi is not the 'west side'. Novi is a suburb. Believe it or not, there are some people that don't travel out to the suburbs on a regular basis, but all that is beside the point of this thread.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3426
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thanks for the update. I was very impressed by the plans. It looks like a real town center style shopping mall.

There's something inherently obscene about this statement.

Nothing personal against Milwaukee--it just reflects how perverted our society's view of the built environment has become.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2967
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you mean Dan? It is clearly more than just a strip mall. Didn't you see the benches?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3428
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Ha ha!^^^

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks good...it's like Novi Town Center, but about 1/5 the size...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fountain Walk was NOT torn down...

They simply remodeled a portion of it to make it more walkable and downtown-like...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good to me, my neighborhood needs something. There is no shopping over here other than Model T Plaza in HP, Bell Aire which sucks, and then you have to go out to the burbs for something other than low end stores like Pay Less, dollar stores, cheap furniture and the list goes on.

I would love to see the potential tenant list

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Novi is not the 'west side'. Novi is a suburb. Believe it or not, there are some people that don't travel out to the suburbs on a regular basis, but all that is beside the point of this thread."

Yes it is the "West side". Most people in the burbs refer to the different areas of metro detroit as the East Side, West Side, and Down River.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VizionDetroit, Belmont has a decent variety of stores.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alameda, Colton, and Winchester. I never knew those streets were there. Were there homes on those streets?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live right around the corner from Belmont

Rite Aid, Imperial Foods, Footlocker, Little Ceasar's, Dollar Store, TEC Furniture, and some cheap woman's clothing store.

so... for me, the only thing that appeals to me is Little Ceasar's and Rite Aid.

More variety is needed in the neighborhoods. Family Dollar doesn't cut it.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well until we can appeal to these retailers, and until the demographics they demand ties in with the location, I wouldn't be looking for your choice of stores (or rather variety).

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 08, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a mater of fact, I can name the first stores to open in the Shooping mall on 8 Mile and Woodward. Athlete's Foot, Footlocker, Rainbow, Simply Fashions, J-Bee's, Family Dollar or Dollar Tree, and a Payless.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's a gamble and all the demographics game... someone is going to have to lead the pack one day. Can we get a book store? A kids clothing store that is not cheap or packed with overly logo'd cloths? How about a decent restaurant?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the only way I can see Detroit getting some Decent retail is by the whole gentrification deal (like Mack-Alter Square or 8 Mile and Woodward).

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Decent retail is by the whole gentrification deal (like Mack-Alter Square or 8 Mile and Woodward)."

What would you speaking of @ 8 and Woodward? Unless you are mentioning the above project.

(Message edited by viziondetroit on October 08, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What would you speaking of @ 8 and Woodward?"

The 40-50 store shopping Plaza. It doesn't appear to be your crappy strip mall either, but a nice outdoor shopping center. I actually think if they built the thing on the other side of Woodward that it would all compliment Palmer Woods.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean where those unfinished houses sit?

Hybridy

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its on the southeastern corner of woodward and 8 mile
the streets: Alameda, Colton, and Winchester will be added to accomodate the project

i thought those brownstones would be finished by now-not occupied though-at least finished

Detroitrise

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm not sure. I don't venture through that part of town often.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen any activity on those houses in over a year. Did the funding fall off or interest in the project fall off?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only open corner for development in Detroit @ 8 and Woody is on the fair grounds.

Hybridy

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

their map shows this land as separate from the fairgrounds

unless it was bought from the state fair grounds
but i believe their were buildings on the intersection periphery

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps /pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date= 20071006&Category=BIZ&ArtNo=71 0060367&Ref=V4Q=100&MaxW=250

Detroitrise

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Hybridy, remember the Last Chance Lounge?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah there is a couple random old buildings on that spot. Tear that schitt down and gimme a damn book store and Panera lol

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you drive north on Woodward toward 8 Mile and stay on the ground level with the traffic lights instead of taking the bridge over 8 Mile, you will see where Winchester, Colton and Alameda were. There are still street signs (the older style with the addresses on them) at each street's intersection with Woodward. What was on those streets, or why it was torn down, I'm not sure. Never paid any attention until after whatever it was had been ripped out. I've asked that question on here before, but never got an answer. I definitely remember buildings along 8 Mile, though.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those Brownstones @ (Woodstock) 8 Mile & Woodward were to have a few more built there as well. They
are not finished yet. There's no driveways for
folks to use the built-in garages.....

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, The_ed.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I remember them tearing down the homes in that area to either expand the State Fairgrounds, or make a camping area for fair goers there. This might have been around the same time as they were talking about building a new auto racing track, or something. Bit hazy on what year that was.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sincerely hope this development differs from a Village of Rochester Hills-type lifestyle center and can bring in more independent businesses and a little bit more atmosphere. But it's worth noting that it will prove a draw for folks north of 8 Mile in Ferndale, Oak Park and Hazel Park as well. Nice restaurants might even bring in people from Pleasant Ridge or further.

Us Woodward and 8 Mile-area residents are underserved by retail, unless you count crack-hooker motels.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Last Chance Bar. Isn't that where Leon Spinks was arrested? Or was he rolled by a hooker who stole his teeth???

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.