Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Has this been tried? [Historic Tours] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over the last few months my involvement here has given me an idea. Would there be any interest in renting a bus to tour specific neighborhoods, historic buildings and other destinations such as the Fabulous ruins. An area could be chosen and we could share stories of our experiences. Perhaps we could entice some historians to get involved.

Well?

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be interested. Spew some details.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't Stewart McMillin do bus tours of Detroit history?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a number of entities that give tours and hold events. The Historical Society offers some great stuff - a lot of variety - http://detroithistorical.org/t hingstodo/

Preservation Wayne offers regular tours - http://preservationwayne.org/t ours.php

Stewart McMillin - http://www.stewartmcmillintour s.com/

and others (who will hopefully post more info)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyway, the fact that other people do bus tours doesn't mean we can't have more of them in and around Detroit.

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have known about the historical society and preservation wayne tours. Glad to find out about stewart mcmillin....Stewart McMillin has a suggestion page.

New ideas are great but support of those attempting to promote Detroit can be more efficient.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Detroit Tour Connections too. Bob Goldsmith has developed a number of walking and bus tours, both scheduled and custom tours as well:

http://www.detroittourconnecti ons.com/

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition? We do a tour of the star fort itself and the extant outer buildings that we manage, including the 1860's era Commandants Quarters, and the Tuskegee Airmen have a museum on site as well. We are also in the process of partnering with other various historical entities and organizations that will more accurately tell all of the fort's history, not just the Civil War period as we currently do.

There will be more to offer as we go along, including classes on various historic renovation techniques on the order of the prestigious North Bennet Street School in Boston. We have already successfully taught an entire class on reglazing and restoring historic windows and have completed restoration of the window sashes in the Quarter Master's Shop. Shortly, we will begin restoration of the Barracks Building windows, and there are various other projects in the works as well to restore the place to it's former grandeur.

We have a volunteer workday coming up next weekend and the Detroit Historical Society will be holding it's annual Fall Flea Market in the recently restored Visitors Center. Also, the Boy Scouts will be holding their very first jamboree, with over 300 scouts on Saturday, so there will be much to see.

Come and check-out this bit of Detroit's history!

PlymouthRes
Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Committee
www.historicfortwaynecoalition .com

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4659
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know if Detroit hosted a Super Bowl that would help.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have taken tours from all the orgs mentioned and they all do a great job - they may be room for other groups as well. Might need a "twist" on the tours to be different.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5476
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to do a private tour of some closed off areas of the former Michigan Theatre, but the posting rudeness of some forumers to building owner (and DetroitYes poster) Tony Pieroni sort of put a damper on that idea...

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

urban spelunking is an underground movement
once the underground is made mainstream
it loses all interest

suburban folk pay big bucks for staged urban spectacles aka disney world

these ruins are natural
maybe if we attach a starbucks to the mcs or throw up some roller coasters
people will pay to come by?

ps- some cabrini green woman was running ghetto tours through the projects for white folk and she made a shitload...i think it was for a good cause??? we can hire us a bum-rags to riches
perfect spokesman for the city

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres the events calendar on the site you posted has no notice of the upcoming items you mention. Details please or where else on the site can details be found?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldoak-

You are correct in saying that the website does not list the items that I am talking about as we are in the process of updating the website and it's contents as we speak. I apologize for any confusion that this may have caused.

The reason that I know so much about the classes is that I am the one developing and teaching them:we have many more coming up and they will be posted to the website soon. If you want any more information during the time that the website will be undergoing it's transformation, shoot me an email at bcjaxson@comcast.net and I will add you to the growing distribution list of others from this forum who have asked to be kept informed. I also know of the Boy Scouts and their jamboree as I helped coordinate the event.

The workdays that are left for the year are October 13, 2007 and November 10, 2007 from 9:00am to 5:00pm each day. Although they are not displayed anywhere on the site, I know that we voted these two days in at the June Projects Committee meeting so they are for sure. Again, shoot me an e-mail and I will include you when the 2008 schedule of workdays/events is released.

Finally, I quickly checked the Detroit Rec website and found that these items were not listed there, either. I know that the Fall Flee Market is this weekend, October 13th, because I was at the fort on Sunday and saw and heard the City employees talking about it and changing the sign out front of the fort.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!!

Hopefully we will see you at the fort this weekend! Come on out and enjoy!!

PlymouthRes
Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Committee

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 899
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage, I had a similar idea for a tour not long ago. It would be Detroit as Detroiter's see it, blight and all. It would take more then one tour to take it all in, and a night tour would be included. For the hard core, a trip through gangland on a Friday night in an armored car would cost extra. (The gun ports might not be legal, but a fun idea) Any backers?

Corktown_paddy
Username: Corktown_paddy

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a rare chance to walk through one of the Boston/Edison district homes that was for sale.
Still in rather incredible (unrestored)condition including the 3rd floor ball room.

What stories this place could tell...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.