Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » B-E Siegel mansion news clip « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5019
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think this was ever posted here. It said it would take over $40K a year to maintain the home.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11 843382/

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well yeah, that house I could see costing an arm and a leg to maintain...

Bostonedisonrocks
Username: Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not surprised. It is a mansion after all. Only rich people can afford to live in a mansion.

This home was on a recent Boston-Edison Holiday Home Tour - and it is magnificent! The owners also had it decorated for the Holiday - it was definitely one of the most nicely restored and decorated homes I have had the pleasure of seeing.

There are a number of such mansions in Boston-Edison.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to Detroit.

A studio apartment in Manhattan costs as much as that mansion.

You couldn't even rebuild that house from scratch for $1M.

My bet is that what will start happening next is people will try to buy these houses and move them...

Msuscorpio
Username: Msuscorpio

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know some history behind that place? Like who originally built it and whatnot?

My apologies if it mentions stuff like that iun the video but I can't listen to it at work

(Message edited by msuscorpio on October 08, 2007)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SIEGEL, Benjamin, dealer in cloaks, suits and furs; born, Germany, Mar. 15, 1860; son of Feist H. and Caroline (Gagle) Siegel; educated in public and high schools of Manheim, Baden, Germany; came to America, 1876; married, Detroit, May 7, 1903, Sophia Siegel. Began business career in a general merchandise store at Selma, Ala., 1877, and engaged in similar work for firm of Davidson Bros., at Prairie Bluff, Ala., a boat landing; came to Detroit, 1881, and organized the B. Siegel Co., dealers in ladies’, misses’ and children’s cloaks, suits and furs, of which has since been the head; also financially connected with F. Siegel & Bros., Chicago. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Club: Phoenix. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 159-163 Woodward Av. Residence: 62 Delaware Av.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.