Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Places and Non-Places « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,
I've begun working on an urban theory research paper that will focus on the shift of pedestrian oriented business districts in Detroit to more automobile oriented districts. For example, many two story commercial buildings with store windows right up to the sidewalk have been demolished to make way for strip retail, convenience stores, and fast food restaurants with ample parking. Throughout history as consumers' preferences have changed, so has the city environments where people shop. This paper will not focus on the creation of the newer suburban shopping districts in comparison to old ones, rather the replacement of Detroit's existing shopping areas.

My paper will also focus on the shift from place to non-place. 'Places' are memorable, such as Hudson's Department store or even Woodward through highland park. 'Non places are not so memorable, fleeting, and sometimes characterized as being mundane. Think downtown street vs strip mall

We've heard our parents or grandparents reminisce of the old Detroit and how great it was, so what made it so special? I hope to answer that in my paper.

What I was wondering, is if any forumers knew of some excellent resources which cover the history of shopping districts in Detroit. I want to cover ones that have seen the most change. Areas of Highland Park and Jefferson Ave are good ones. I will also cover downtown as what has replaced many businesses is parking structures.

I can already pinpoint what exactly existed through Sanborn maps, and I will identify what exists today through my own experiences. I will support the qualities of these places through articles or essays in journals that cover the subject of 'place and nonplace' Photos from the virtual motor city archives have also been helpful so far.

What I need help on is specific. I need resources that are descriptive of the environment of these districts. Who was there, what events happened, how busy was it?

I appreciate your help!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an interesting account of every-day life in 1918 Detroit. It was written by "an eighteen-year-old boy while in his Freshman-Sophomore year at High School. The writer is John Francis DeSales Carrico and this diary contains the true story of the events that occurred in my life during the year of nineteen hundred and eighteen."

It includes numerous accounts of his travels by automobile to and from work, plus trips via streetcar to school and downtown for shopping and entertainment.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how to help but I do have to critque your ignoring the suburbs, because I think this type of carcentric new development is replacing old city development with supposedly more attractive suburban development.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't provide you too many specifics, but my grandfather (1913-2007) grew up a short walk from the DUR in Atlas Township, and would take the interurban to Detroit on occasion. He graduated from Grand Blanc HS in 1932.

The state fair was one destination.

I would focus on two things:

-The change in transportation system, from streetcar, interurban, and feet to cars and parking lots.

-The expansion and decompression of the city, which resulted in lower densities and therefore a need to pull business patrons from larger areas.

Unlike many cities that became crowded during housing shortages, Detroit did not build up and increase density, it exploded and got much bigger. It is party related to the amount of owner-occupied single family homes that were present, but their are other reason's too. Look at Thomas Sugrue's Origins of the Urban Crisis for more about that.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Ray Oldenburg, he has written on this.

"The Great Good Place: Cafes, Coffee Shops, Bookstores, Bars, Hair Salons, and Other Hangouts at the Heart of a Community"
Key Phrases: third place association, informal public gathering places, informal public life, United States, Main Street, River Park

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3425
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Throughout history as consumers' preferences have changed, so has the city environments where people shop.

I really hate this statement, because it presumes a conclusion without surveying consumer behavior. You might want to explore how city zoning regulations have evolved over time to allow such changes in the first place.

Remember--it's not a choice if there aren't options to begin with.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Build it and they will come.

Build a better mousetrap.

Have your cake and eat it too.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 776
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some threads on here with specific descriptions of Grand River and Greenfield, also I think Gratiot and Seven Mile. The time from the 60s on were times of change, so you can find some firsthand accounts here. Check the HOF threads.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, I really enjoyed the John Francis DeSales Carrico diary. When I saw the year I went directly to November 11th, what a story. Thanks

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try looking up the histories of the stores that made the locations a shopping magnet, like Winklemans, Federals, Neisners, Kresges, Woolworths. I think every neighborhood in Detroit had their own shopping areas. In SW Detroit, there was Fort St, from Junction to Livernois, W. Vernor from W. Grand Blvd to Livernois and then from Central to Springwells and on Michigan Ave from downtown thru to E. Dearborn there were plenty of stores to shop.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't know how to help but I do have to critque your ignoring the suburbs, because I think this type of carcentric new development is replacing old city development with supposedly more attractive suburban development."

You're right about one thing: You don't know how to help.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 492
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois,

Have you read "The Geography of Nowhere"? I highly recommend it.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always there with the sugar, Oakmangirl. Pardon my guff... ;)

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 493
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It helps with the medicine, so I hear. I'm just bitter because no one has asked us to be on their dissertation advisory panel...given all the scholarly research leads we provide; it seems only natural.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for your help. All the resources you've mentioned are very helpful. I greatly appreciate it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.