Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Slatkin to the DSO « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 838
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he's great, saw him conduct this summer.

http://www.detroitsymphony.com /main.taf?p=5,2,1,96

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will keep them in the top ten.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 631
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is big time. Huge for the symphony.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2753
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice to get someone younger who could stick around 10 or 15 years for once, i liked wigglesworth, but then i am thrilled to get slatkin, esp. when he stated how much he wanted to come here before being hired.

Lfrac88
Username: Lfrac88

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's great- but the press surrounding it is pretty annoying. That it keeps being asserted that he is going to make the DSO "great" is bothersome to me- since when has the DSO been bad? All this hype about how he is going to turn the orchestra around is pretty ridiculous since the orchestra was never bad, nor falling in the first place. Even throughout their search for a director, the artistic integrity of the orchestra was never questioned- because it didn't need to be.

Besides that, I am interested in what he is going to do with the education programs- especially considering I am a member of the Civic orchestra. It would be nice to get more funding, so that students are not asked to pay $225 just to be in the orchestra- since this seriously limit's the diversity of the entire program.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 840
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree with Lfrac88. The DSO is world class, so to me, this is just another step to keep it that way.
I saw the Civic orchestra last year, keep up the good work Lfrac88.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to the DSO and the region. Always enjoy hearing them when I'm in town. Glad to hear they'll be staying on course. Some encouraging news for sure.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2684
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dso is not in the same league as Cleveland, Phila, Chicago..........Slatkin is a great catch from a great musical family,

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.