Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 'The Detroit Club' need help with some details please « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fattonyp
Username: Fattonyp

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Guys,

Not having the ability to just pop on a bus and visit Detroit really is a disadvantage.
I really need help with 'The Detroit Club'. Weve made the road, pavement and the first stages of the building in 3D. But looks like some important details are missing.

oldDetroitClub

I can see that the detroit club has some grass running along the pavement. It used to go:
Road > curb > grass(a) > pavement > grass(b) > building

I thought that grass(b) was just some grass to walk on or look nice, but looking at modern photos of the club, it looks like it is actually a sub-level below the pavement.

I found some photos of the detroit club.

newDetroitClub

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:DetroitClub.jpg

frontDetroitClub

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l289/apexmi/Awnings/?action=view&current=DetroitClub.jpg

Does anyone have any photos of the detroit club (I have searched google, dogpile, ebay and these forums). Any photos of the exterior showing the pavement, the building and that basement area please.

Or if you dont have any photos, a written description would be of help also, to help form more of an idea.

Thanks everyone.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to threadjack, but beyond just pictures, does anyone have any anecdotes about the club? Anyone a member or know one? I looked at the club's website and thought it sounded pretty cool for sometime once my career gets started.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5025
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont forget that there is a bridge joining the club with the old Freep building. The club originally was old money and turned away many of the "new" auto barons at the time. The new guys went on to build the DAC. Wilson Eyre designed it. he was a famous Phila architect who also did the Freer mansion. henry Ford was a member but somehow got pissed and started his own club in the RenCen

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wondered about the DC. Is there a level comparison possible between it and the DAC?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parking situation used to be nuts. People going to lunch at the Club would double and even triple park on the street in front, and it was sanctioned by the City, no one ever got a ticket. I think the doorman at the club could help you if you got pinned in by somebody. I don't know if it is still that way.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a couple of exterior photos and one interior photo on the Wayne State Archives site. Click: http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=6bcb383a d82163b48a23d5e69f891069&q1=De troit+Club&rgn1=vmc_ti&op2=And &q2=&rgn2=vmc_all&type=boolean &med=1&view=thumbnail&c=vmc

Then click on the thumbnail.

Fattonyp

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bridge? how old is the bridge? I cant see it on any of the old street maps. Do you have any photos of the bridge? google earth doesnt help with that hehe.

There used to be a Union Investment Building next to the DC. GoogleEarth looks like its been knocked down and the carpark extended. It amazes me that the carpark was there even from the 30s.

Was the entrance to the carpark from the side road, or from West Fort Street?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are probably overanalyzing the difference in those two photos. It is probably simply a change in the grading of the street over the years.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bridge wasn't a bridge bridge, is was a walkway that connected the third(?) floor of the DC to the Free Press building. It connected the buildings across a 10 or 12 foot wide alley.

Never used it myself, but a pigeon pooed on me once and the little creep was perched on the bridge. Oh, word to the wise, once you're pooed on, never - ever - look to see from whence it came.

Fattonyp

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics Ray. And Gnome, I had a pigeon poop on a donut i was eating, I only got half a bite before it got covered.

How does the DC building 3rd floor open up to the walkway? any members of the Detroit Club here fancy taking some photos =D thanks. I will give you a hug!

hey thats an incentive. Okay, my wife will give you a hug.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.