Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Do you pack heat in the city? » Archive through October 07, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 459
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you decided to bring some home grown protection while out and about on city streets?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 773
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Have you decided to bring some home grown protection while out and about on city streets?

uh, is this a thread about ganga (home grown) or gats (home grown?)?

it would be nice, though, to have a sorta taser bong thing that whacks someone with some heavy 'dro and they're left doubled over laughing about something ridiculous, as you make your escape.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 604
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Step up to the mike, I got a back up.....

I have lived here my entire life have never needed anything to protect myself. I stand by the fact that in most situations just saying hello to every person you see along your journeys does wonders.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 760
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never, as long as I live, under no circumtances whatsoever.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 605
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do break out in a rash and sometimes feel the need to pack heat every time I head to the suburbs. Now they are way scarier to me!

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, And always will. With Corbon 40/135's that were made in Detroit.

(Message edited by karl_jr. on October 06, 2007)

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 345
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i never leave the house without packing my pro therapy icy hots, er heats.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 943
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell no. Why would I?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3754
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

I'm not paranoid.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6450
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, except in January-Febuary, then I like those thermal insoles in my shoes.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 895
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As we know, most crime happens in the suburbs. If there is an anomaly, and a crime happens in Detroit, it is always perpetrated by a suburbanite coming in looking to cause trouble. So, one would be better off packing heat going into the 'burbs'. Knowing this, I never walk alone on the mean streets of the “F” (Ferndale).

Karl_jr

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of you that answered "NO" do you actually live in Detroit? and how long??

Also, what area?

(Message edited by karl jr. on October 07, 2007)

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep a piece in purse at all times....
Some punk tried to car jack me last summer I pulled my piece out and fired and off he went running like a scared dog.........

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

26 years strong, I have lived at linwood and WGB on lothrop for 5 years, University district for 18, southwest for a year, and corktown for 2 years. Never had a need for a gun, and I walk most places when I can. People are either friendly or confused when I say hello but never have even had an encounter. It may help that I am 6' 280 also as well but I love my city and wouln't trade it for the world.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a CCW and I use it.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HELL TO THE NO. I have never even felt the need.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"hell to the no" ??

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6642
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the ghettos of Detroit. BROTHERS packin' heat all the time and hid it the drop down pants with the big shirt covered. They use this technique to rob any retail stores and houses both Detroit and suburbs. BROTHERS packin' heat to they go out and be like " Menace to Society" living a thug life and ridin' dirty all the time. Then they go out to another BROTHER, finish their negative arguments and pull out their guns and start shooting, BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS!

RULES TO AVOID BEING SHOT IN DETROIT OR SUBURBS BY A BLACK MALE:

Never tick off a mean hot tempered hard core black male in the ghettos of Detroit or the suburbs. If you run into him give him what he wants and then he will go away. And NEVER force a mean hot tempered hard core black male into negative argument. He might pulled out a gun and shoot you! That is why everytime you turn the local news you will hear more black on black crime then black on white crime. So be prepared for his actions. I, The Ghettoman himself and the rest of the Street Prophets have been through this situation all the time.

(Message edited by Danny on October 07, 2007)

None
Username: None

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm 6' 1" 280 and Irish. So ya, I stick out like a sore thumb most days, however after 20 years evenly split living/working between Corktown and the Tri city area.

The cold facts are Saginaw is a far more violent environment than Detroit city ever was and a gun is just part of your tool belt when in Saginaw. With out it your fair game for any hood looking to even the score.

So do I carry when in Detroit, nope the thought has never crossed my mind, my experience has been you treat people with respect and they return it in Corktown, however in Saginaw any acknowledgment of another, such as eye contact and the pissing match is on

I watched a guy in Saginaw stand up and shoot someone point blank because the other poor fellow stepped on his shoe while at a benefit concert for Unity on the east side, you just don't find that kind of random hatred in Detroit. If you get shot at here you probably deserved it

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 576
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't carry a weapon and will never carry a gun. get them off the streets. when i lived in ann arbor, though, i thought about affixing a bat to my bike, because i got harassed MANY times there. i feel fairly safe in detroit...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3756
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harassed for what? Your bike? I find that hard to believe in A2. Maybe you cut in front of a Jersey girl in her SUV?..I can see anyone getting bitched at in that scenario.

A2 is pretty bike friendly...and friendly to about any f'n thing you want to do.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a 48 year old white male, I have witnessed 2 "White Flights" in my life time. 1959-1994 w.grand blvd & buchanan area, 1994-present warrendale - grandmont/dayton area. I was young enough to kickass and make the neighborhood believe I was a "crazy white boy" too old for that shit now. CCW is a lot faster than a police response - warren @ artesian 2 months ago a young citizen of my present neighborhood decided to bust the bottom out of a 40 and walk toward me as I pumped gas, he walked in the opposite direction when my USP 40. was leveled at his center of mass. Like I said where do you people live?? Have you ever lived in an area that has degraded?? Or are you blind of the elements around you?

(Message edited by karl jr. on October 07, 2007)

None
Username: None

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"RULES TO AVOID BEING SHOT IN DETROIT OR SUBURBS BY A BLACK MALE:

Never tick off a mean hot tempered hard core black male in the ghettos of Detroit or the suburbs.
If you run into him give him what he wants and then he will go away.

And NEVER force a mean hot tempered hard core black male into negative argument.
He might pulled out a gun and shoot you! That is why every time you turn the local news you will hear more black on black crime then black on white crime.

So be prepared for his actions."

And yet you ponder why society wishes to be as far away as possible from the "Keeping It Real" mentality and the thugs who embrace it, Does Natural Selection and the Food Chain every cross your mind while kicking it with the profits

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 577
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw just one example of ann arbor harassment...

2002: 3 or 4 am. I was told by a group of frat boys to "come here" - i said no, and they, in a group of about 5-6, came closer to me. I began to walk in the other direction, they followed. i ran, they ran after me. they chased me accross the diag and called me faggot repeatedly. eventually, i was able to outrun these drunk ass holes. freaked me out, though.

i've been harrassed like that MANY other times in the fare city of ann arbor.

Karl_Jr - you're right, i have NEVER lived in the far west side. i could see how some protection might be of assistance there. i live in the cass corridor, but i bike all over town as late as 5 or 6 am. have not run into trouble.

if you're walking around at 4am, and you see a crazy white kid on a red fixed gear bike with flipped up handle bars, say hello.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in the vicinity of Jefferson and the East Boulevard since 1996, but for a three year stint on Commonwealth in Woodbridge ('01 - '04).

No guns, no interest, no reason.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad things have changed for you eric, I sold more mossberg shotguns to people in the woodbridge area particularly Commonwealth street in the 1991 - 1994 period due to home invasions that were happening. Just gos to show everything changes!

Karl_jr

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does Natural Selection and the Food Chain every cross your mind"

THAT'S IT, THAT'S MY REASON! I am a older weaker animal! I'm just equalizing the odds' so don't hate!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3757
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alinn, I can see that happening. Ann Arbor is diverse, and has people of all different mindsets. Sometimes these factions clash, especially when there is alcohol. I feel for you, but suggest fucking around with drunk guys like that and then trying to get free, instead of running.

You could readily find yourself in a lot more trouble in Detroit than Ann Arbor, even if Detroit is a greater city.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, everything does change, Karl_jr.

As I said, I lived in Woodbridge between '01 and '04 before moving to Islandview Village, but in 1993 I was privileged enough to be introduced to a man who showed me what was going on in Woodbridge. At that time, the neighborhood had a much more rough-hewn appearance than today - far more abandonment and decreptitude. Nevertheless, homes were being renovated and new neighbors were moving in.

At that time, I wondered who in the hell would ever deem the neighborhood the least bit desireable!

Silly me - my now-wife and I spent three very pleasant years there; first in a four-flat at the corner of Forest and Commonwealth and later in a two-family between Warren and Lysander.

Same thing now in Islandview. My long-time resident neighbors tell me how things are a lot better than they were ten or fifteen or certainly, twenty years ago. The petty street crime is gone and overall things are very quiet.