Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Little House « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071008/OPINI ON03/710080364/1005/LIFESTYLE

Very interesting piece, on change, and the influence that designers and architects can have. We can only hope that this program continues and grows. I believe this is the right type of thing for Detroit. Thoughts?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/115772.html?1191900882

6nois

Post Number: 533
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that thread, but I felt this is a very different type of development. This project is not based on development for profit as the Highland Park houses seem to be, based on the look of the development, but on this house is a development for the improvement of people and the city through action.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I saw that thread, but I felt this is a very different type of development. This project is not based on development for profit as the Highland Park houses seem to be, based on the look of the development, but on this house is a development for the improvement of people and the city through action.

6nois, i appreciate that.

consider that once upon a time, the streets and neighborhoods in detroit were mostly clean and well-kept, and the parks were places for healthy leisure. such is not the case today.

if detroit were restored to the era of its best well-being, would the city flourish today, or relinquish to its current state?

if we could restore detroit to what it once was, with current residents - how could we be assured of its resurgence?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've driven by there and was curious about that place. It looks like quite the fortress with all that cinderblock. I thought it was maybe going to be some kind of storage facility.

6nois

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before I answer that there are areas of the city that fit that image right now, mind you they are small but they do exist. There are still parks and healthy leisure still takes place.

For question one I would say the city of Detroit would flourish if put to its 'best well-being'. One would almost have to assume that on the basis that crime would not be an issue, which is the biggest thing that keeps suburbanites from moving into the city. The schools would preform well and etc.

As for your second question you can never be assured that a city on the rise will stay that way or forever be in good condition. Cities go through cycles. The biggest issue with this statement is that the current citizens alone can not bring Detroit back, the city needs a decent numbers of new citizens as well. Courting immigrant populations could be huge for the city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.