Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Defending your city « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS is why Chicago has a good reputation (even though they have many of the same problems Detroit does). When people attack Chicago, they write front page stories defending their city.

Nobody forced anyone to run
Marathoners can blame only selves

Hey, don't blame the city of Chicago if you were too tired and too hot Sunday while running a marathon. And don't blame sponsor LaSalle Bank if you were weak from thirst and couldn't get enough to drink. You've got nobody to blame but yourselves.

If you are foolhardy enough to run a marathon when the temperature outdoors is up to 88 degrees, then it is your fault, no one else's.

Nearly 10,000 of the people who filed entries for this 30th annual race were smart enough not to run it. Chicago's temperature soared nearly to a tropical 90, yet those of you who ran ignored the risks.

You knew the pavement would be sizzling like a griddle. You knew a long run on a day like this would be hard on your feet, legs, stomach, mind and heart. You ran anyway.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ sports/cs-071008downey,0,47735 26.column

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea, I think the nay sayers are getting slapped down here with greater force then before. I notice the anti city threads are getting pretty short lived these days.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3450
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, it's not like the City of Chicago or the marathon organizers had any control over the weather. I wonder if good ole Mike Downey here has even run a 5k in his life.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I don't agree with the sentiments of the article, I do agree that residents of other metro's are more embracing of their central city, which goes a long way towards your outside image.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Good idea, I think the nay sayers are getting slapped down here with greater force then before."

Right! Someone should always shout down those with different opinions. There's no place for that in group think.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Especially when they're not simply opinions but are actually an agenda. "Don't go down there, come buy a house in my lovely Howell neighborhood, I'm bored."

(Message edited by cambrian on October 09, 2007)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.suntimes.com/sports /mariotti/594338,mariotti10080 7b.article

They also criticize their city.

I agree with Mariotti. If they're going to go ahead and start the marathon then they should have had more then enough water for the runners. When you run a marathon there's only so much water you can drink prior to it and only so much you can carry. You have to count on the race organizers to supply you with water and sports drinks.

The Chicago Marathon has just gotten too big. They can pull off the event with 35,000 runners if the weather is good for running a marathon. However it was an accident waiting to happen with that many runners and the oppressive heat on Sunday.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is that the anti-Detroit threads are usually true.

There is a difference between a jogger who died of a heart attack, which cannot be blamed on the quality of the city... and burned down buildings allowed to stand for decades, the depleting city services, increasing crime, dwindling population, crumbling infrastructure, businesses fleeing the city, etc...

But by all means, personally attack those who think those things are bad and live with your head in the sand pretending that everything is perfect and anyone who thinks differently should just STFU.

"Detroit, love it or leave it" twits are a huge part of the city's problems.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In alcoholism they're called enablers - the wife who pretends her husband's daily drinking and occasional car crashes aren't at all a problem. She instead criticizes those who dare suggest the man might need help.

Of course, with a wife like that, he only gets worse because nobody calls him out on it.

By all means, keep serving the drinks...

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Good idea, I think the nay sayers are getting slapped down here with greater force then before. I notice the anti city threads are getting pretty short lived these days.

If all you want is a feel-good PR circle jerk around here, what's the point of having a board to "Discuss Detroit" and such? Just stick to the official city government webpage's news section.

I think the vast majority of us who post on a board like this obviously care about the city and region, yet as soon as some of us point out some sad events or aspects of the city/region that need to be addressed, we're suddenly "naysayers" and "haters". It's just like how the neocons call you unpatriotic and un-American if you don't support the war or the Bush administration. We care about our country and city, and that's why we note both their points of pride and their flaws so that hopefully we can fix them.

(Message edited by greatlakes on October 09, 2007)

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 467
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a difference between constructive criticism and downright negativity. Sometimes, the problems that Detroit has can take a person down that negative road but it does no good. But on the other hand, to say that Detroit is without it's share of problems is blindness. I think it helps to try to see the positive in a situation both for the community and for myself.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2768
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are problems with retail flight from chicago, esp. downtown, and chicago's got numerous infrastructure problems of its own.

no one here thinks detroit is a perfect city, and most of the slams against "anti-detroit posters" are against posts that are either obviously made out of ignorance or mean in spirit -- bitching about crap to no apparent purpose.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen to Jjw and Rb336!

Everyone knows the difference between constructive criticism and idiot jerks trying to put someone else down to make their lonely, pathetic lives seem better.

No one says that Chicago (or Detroit) is perfect, they know they have their flaws. But when a bunch of stupid outsiders who don't care anything about the city pile on blame and accusations, Chicagoans stand up and defend it - as they should. I agree with the reporter: It doesn't matter if the organizers had enough water or not, you are in charge of your own body. If you're tired, hot, and dehydrated, stop running idiots!

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look people, for years our local newspapers have ripped Detroit to shreds...more so then any other city. On this forum, critics have far less of an agenda than the dailies(read my bad news) so I say start a another paper. Never liked how newspapers monopolize as they do....glad its all shifting away to internet..its their own fault. And Yay for Mariotti and bash Chicago to equal it all out...hes also a spy for us deep down. Berkley High School Grad! Circa 1976?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always been of the opinion that anyone who runs any further than to get out of the way of a truck has a screw loose to start with.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.